Does the Mavic Air 2 support waypoints
123Next >
42953 81 2020-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
maddiemii
lvl.1

United States

I too am a new DJI customer, and a new Mavic Air 2 owner and just discovered that it won't do waypoints. I'm deeply disappointed that I have to look to a third party to do this.
2020-11-14
Use props
djiuser_ZlxOtBR13NNs
lvl.1

United States

Just bought an air 2. I never would have guessed that waypoints were not included. So disappointed. Cheaper drones have this feature. I waisted $1000 on a toy. This is my last DJI.
2020-11-15
Use props
dwallersv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1843015 ft
  • >>>
United States

It always amuses me to see postings like many here that ponder that DJI didn't think through any of this. Of course they did, and with far more effort and rigor than any of you seem to understand.

The MA2 almost certainly doesn't have WP functionality because it will make more money for DJI by excluding it. Waypoints are a feature used and understood by a tiny tiny minority of customers in the market that the MA2 targets. Adding it will increase sales of MA2, because it will meet the needs of more of the serious/hobby/professional user that MUST HAVE waypoint functionality, so they buy an MA2 instead of a MP2.

DJI determined that, based on forecasts (which are anything but pure guesses), the company would make less earnings.

DJI is in the business to maximize their bottom line, not bend to the desires of a small segment of complainers in the market that DJI doesn't make the "perfect" drone for (as they define it).

DJI could put waypoint functionality in the Mini and Mini2 without any hardware or software limitations. WP functionality is not compute intensive. The fact that they COULD doesn't mean they SHOULD.
2020-11-16
Use props
dwallersv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1843015 ft
  • >>>
United States

maddiemii Posted at 11-14 15:01
I too am a new DJI customer, and a new Mavic Air 2 owner and just discovered that it won't do waypoints. I'm deeply disappointed that I have to look to a third party to do this.

Not meaning to be snarky, just wondering why you bought it not knowing this information if it was that important to you. Doesn't seem like DJI bears any blame here... And I am NO DJI (the company) fan...
2020-11-16
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Tomorrow I get mine too
And there's the WP hyperlapse that already seems pretty good, I'll test after the containment. And why not even try a slow motion on hyperlapse who knows it can work
2020-11-16
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
United States

dwallersv Posted at 11-16 14:19
Not meaning to be snarky, just wondering why you bought it not knowing this information if it was that important to you. Doesn't seem like DJI bears any blame here... And I am NO DJI (the company) fan...

Buyer beware is really A point here and its hard to argue with that.

But think about this ; Mavic Air 1 was announced with Waypoints and it was removed during launch release. It was then re-added after first SDK.

Now for the same price and as a replacement model, it makes it utterly confusing to the buyer. DJI wants to take the high road and under promise. Buyers just want something to REPLACE their existing products. Why it can't be win-win? If they want to put this feature in more expensive models, they should say this with a lot more clarity and not hide behind some forum moderators.

Imagine if you have to retain an 4 year old Mavic Pro in your fleet that is inferior in everyway just to keep a legacy usage practice alive.

Its starting to sound negative but I do appreciate your opposite side of the discussion.
2020-11-16
Use props
Crippled MA2
lvl.1

United States

wamuBugMe Posted at 11-16 15:06
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks it's odd that someone would buy a $1,000 drone without knowing its feature set.

And to those that say cheaper drones have waypoints, why didn't you buy one of those? Probably because there's not a cheaper 4k60 drone with a 30+ minute flight time that has waypoints.

Because several reasons.  It claims it supports "hyperlapse waypoints" which are not really settable waypoints.  No where does it say they are omitting the feature that the first Air had.  Bait and switch.  Poor marketing to play the buyer beware game with customers by crippling a feature that everyone expects just to try and create an artificial delineation cash grab between the MA2 and Pro.

Imagine buying a new Iphone and finding out they disabled the camera in software.  That's why I feel cheated
2020-11-19
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1640367 ft
Poland

Probably waypoints will only be added in the Air 3, just like they did with the Mini 2, adding 4k and raw to the same gear that the Mini 1 is equipped with.
2020-11-19
Use props
djiuser_5UXs30m2Cj9S
lvl.1

United States

No waypoints no purchase...I'll be looking at Autel Evo instead...some great sales for the Autel Evo 1 ($699 including a bag and extra battery).  
2020-11-22
Use props
R_Packard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1179039 ft
United States

emisof Posted at 10-10 07:38
Seguramente es mas que nada una decisión comercial y no tiene nada que ver con la ingeniería, ya que si liberan la opción para hacer misiones atreves de waypoints, hacen mas delgada la línea que separa el Mavic Air 2 del Mavic 2 Pro. Mucha gente, profesional o no, que son potenciales clientes del M2P, se volcarían sin dudarlo, al MA2. El M2P esta sobrevaluado y lo saben. Si liberan esta opción conseguirían mas ventas del MA2 naturalmente, disminuyendo las del M2P, su VANT estrella y por el momento no creo que lo hagan, lo opacarían, necesitan e inventan una diferencia técnica, para exigir una diferencia en los precios. MA2= usd 800 vs M2P= usd 1600. Creo que eso va a cambiar cuando discontinúen el M2P y lancen un nuevo modelo que tenga una diferencia tecnológica real respecto del MA2. Hasta tanto, creo que hay que reclamar a la compañía para que habiliten la opción y desear que lancen... la línea Mavic 3.. y que todo tenga mas sentido...
Saludos!

This post makes so much sense business-wise. Thanks for the input. Now that I've started a drone business, I desperately need waypoints now that I've purchase the MA2 and begun to learn about all of its capabilities. I'll be purchasing the next DJI drone, probably the Mavic 3, and be along for that ride too.
2020-11-22
Use props
djiuser_5UXs30m2Cj9S
lvl.1

United States

dwallersv Posted at 11-16 14:17
It always amuses me to see postings like many here that ponder that DJI didn't think through any of this. Of course they did, and with far more effort and rigor than any of you seem to understand.

The MA2 almost certainly doesn't have WP functionality because it will make more money for DJI by excluding it. Waypoints are a feature used and understood by a tiny tiny minority of customers in the market that the MA2 targets. Adding it will increase sales of MA2, because it will meet the needs of more of the serious/hobby/professional user that MUST HAVE waypoint functionality, so they buy an MA2 instead of a MP2.

Unless you work for DJI this is just all speculation on your part.
2020-11-22
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
United States

djiuser_5UXs30m2Cj9S Posted at 11-22 18:31
Unless you work for DJI this is just all speculation on your part.

exactly, and may i add to the speculation further. M3P may not have this feature, because it could be that waypoints is up tiered to Inspire 3. Then they will make even more money.

What I can say, is that unless you absolutely have no technical ability to retain the legacy feature, then you should not remove it arbitrarily, and replace it half heartedly (hyperlapse WP) after the customer complains. It is just bad faith. A simple communication can suffice, such as due to xyz limitations which are completely unavoidable, waypoints will not and cannot be offered. Or just the opposite, that because it can, then it will be offered later etc.

With the current hyperlapse waypoint, its like being tickled. Again, to those of you who have more than 1 drone, good for you, but to those who are replacing the MA1 with MA2, it feels bitter in the mouth and head scratching. And M2P may well be out of reach for many, like me.
2020-11-22
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1640367 ft
Poland

Soon SONY will release its drones and then DJI will lose many customers, also because of how it treats them.

2020-11-25
Use props
MitchRSM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149534 ft
  • >>>
San Marino

waypoint Mission with the Air2
Maven App (3.5 beta)

2020-12-16
Use props
Ds67888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10657192 ft
  • >>>
United States

i'm in the same boat.... another thought... what about an ability to refly a path; AirData seems to store that data. dave
2020-12-20
Use props
rhosk
lvl.1

United States

MitchRSM Posted at 12-16 02:52
waypoint Mission with the Air2
Maven App (3.5 beta)

This is somehow going unnoticed, but this App works a treat! I'm able to create missions in the comfort of my home -- drive to the launch site, execute it, then land and done.

Nicely done!!

2020-12-28
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683885 ft
South Africa

vg1 Posted at 11-25 12:58
Soon SONY will release its drones and then DJI will lose many customers, also because of how it treats them.

LINK

Not a chance in hell. To late. DJI have had enough time to solidify their presence in the market and quite frankly they make phenomenal products.

Sony lost their way 20-30 years ago with all their over priced proprietary BS. Its a shame when I was younger they were my "Apple" so to speak. Now I wouldn't touch their products with a ten foot barge poll no matter how could their drone lineup is.
2020-12-28
Use props
MitchRSM
lvl.4
  • >>>
San Marino

rhosk Posted at 12-28 08:17
This is somehow going unnoticed, but this App works a treat! I'm able to create missions in the comfort of my home -- drive to the launch site, execute it, then land and done.

Nicely done!!

i know the developer, he's a great guy!!
wait... it's me!!
2020-12-29
Use props
desmodan
New

United States

MitchRSM Posted at 12-29 07:34
i know the developer, he's a great guy!!
wait... it's me!!

Hey Mitch,

Do you have any idea of when you might have something for us low-class Android users?

Cheers
2020-12-29
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

a sony drone, tell me that's a joke?  never buy anything from sony, i would rather buy a gopro drone.
2020-12-29
Use props
MitchRSM
lvl.4
  • >>>
San Marino

desmodan Posted at 2020-12-29 10:53
Hey Mitch,

Do you have any idea of when you might have something for us low-class Android users?

i'm in contact with an android developer to help me to port my apps to android, we already start to write some code, but at current stage i can't promise any release date
2021-1-2
Use props
bradreid20gmail.com
lvl.2
Canada

Our app is in beta release with Mavic Air 2 waypoint missions.  If you would like to try it use the link here: http://flightplan.beyondthecube. ... 2-waypoint-missions
2021-1-7
Use props
RobZilla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

bradreid20gmail.com Posted at 1-7 21:28
Our app is in beta release with Mavic Air 2 waypoint missions.  If you would like to try it use the link here: http://flightplan.beyondthecube.ca/blog/mavic-air-2-waypoint-missions

This look great. Will flight telemetry be logged/synced to DJI Fly?
2021-1-8
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

General WayPoints not just in Hyperlapse is one of the most request features on the Mavic Air 2 along with Photo Zoom and Offline Map Downloads.  Hopefully DJI will hear the request and implement these features in the next update.
2021-1-8
Use props
desmodan
New

United States

MitchRSM Posted at 1-2 02:55
i'm in contact with an android developer to help me to port my apps to android, we already start to write some code, but at current stage i can't promise any release date

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a release soon, and thank you in advance for you work!!!

2021-1-8
Use props
desmodan
New

United States

Our app is in beta release with Mavic Air 2 waypoint missions.  If you would like to try it use the link here: http://flightplan.beyondthecube.ca/blog/mavic-air-2-waypoint-missions

Is this for IOS only? Or will it work for Android also. I feel like that distinction should always be made for any third-party apps for drones, as the systems aren't necessarily compatible.

Thanks
2021-1-8
Use props
djiuser_4Je7nAJJzHcH
lvl.1

United States

maddiemii Posted at 2020-11-14 15:01

Same thing happened to me. I bought Maverick air 2 and just now realising what waypoints are and blown away that it's not available on this app and that's separating me from the most powerful feature for what my needs are as i learn all this.  I am learning to really not like DJI and hate this drone. Small sensor, stupid native aspect ratio, then they came out with FPV within weeks of me getting air 2. I can't win for losing with this company.
2021-4-2
Use props
djiuser_4Je7nAJJzHcH
lvl.1

United States

When I bought my Air 2  I compared specs and had no idea I was supposed to compare the apps. This is sneaky messed up stuff going on.  I bought it kind of in a hurry and was inundated with work family and trying to study for faa exam. When I read waypoints in the app I got excited but didn't realise its limitations until I was ready to try and use it in by then it was too late to return.  So now I realise with the most important feature for me would be So now I realise with the most important feature for me would be after Finally having learned everything to this point. And now I feel I can't trust DJI.  I can't afford two drones.  So apparently I am going to have to find a way to make a big loss to get this right.
2021-4-2
Use props
djiuser_4Je7nAJJzHcH
lvl.1

United States

When I bought my Air 2  I compared specs and had no idea I was supposed to compare the apps. This is sneaky messed up stuff going on.  I bought it kind of in a hurry and was inundated with work family and trying to study for faa exam. When I read waypoints in the app I got excited but didn't realise its limitations until I was ready to try and use it in by then it was too late to return.  So now I realise with the most important feature for me would be So now I realise with the most important feature for me would be after Finally having learned everything to this point. And now I feel I can't trust DJI.  I can't afford two drones.  So apparently I am going to have to find a way to make a big loss to get this right.
2021-4-2
Use props
djiuser_4Je7nAJJzHcH
lvl.1

United States

When I bought my Air 2  I compared specs and had no idea I was supposed to compare the apps. AND THE SALES STAFF NEVER MENTIONED WP. This is sneaky messed up stuff going on.  I bought it kind of in a hurry and was inundated with work family and trying to study for faa exam. When I read waypoints in the app I got excited but didn't realise its limitations until I was ready to try and use it in by then it was too late to return.  So now I realise with the most important feature for me would be So now I realise with the most important feature for me would be after Finally having learned everything to this point. And now I feel I can't trust DJI.  I can't afford two drones.  So apparently I am going to have to find a way to make a big loss to get this right.
2021-4-2
Use props
djiuser_4Je7nAJJzHcH
lvl.1

United States

When I bought my Air 2  I compared specs and had no idea I was supposed to compare the apps. AND THE SALES STAFF NEVER MENTIONED WP. This is sneaky messed up stuff going on. I bought it kind of in a hurry and was inundated with work family and trying to study for faa exam. When I read waypoints in the app I got excited but didn't realise its limitations until I was ready to try and use it in by then it was too late to return.  So now I realise with the most important feature for me would be So now I realise with the most important feature for me would be after Finally having learned everything to this point. And now I feel I can't trust DJI.  I can't afford two drones.  So apparently I am going to have to find a way to make a big loss to get this right.
2021-4-2
Use props
djiuser_5UXs30m2Cj9S
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2020-5-3 02:59
Hi Willicrash, Mavic Air 2 doesn't support Waypoints currently, it is just a sub-mode of Hyperlapse. Your need will be forwarded to our engineers for attention, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Yes...Please add waypoints.
2021-4-16
Use props
sws2810
lvl.2
Flight distance : 418714 ft
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2020-8-5 09:38
I think, you are way off ;-)
There are DJI drones with DJI-mission modes, mission 1 (old mode, you have to fly the mission, saving points, before the bird can fly it)  or mission 2 (where you can plan the mission in the App, but the bird needs to be on, if I remember that right . I don't have a M2, sorry)

I purchased the Mavic Pro back in the Fall of 2020, just so I could do the Litchi Missions, at home where it is warm... then go out and try the mission out. I know nothing about this technology, but seems waypoints for these Fly App newer drones should be a default item. I would have purchased the Mavic Pro 2, but would have have to purchase a LARGE, Expensive Tablet to see when laying out the self contained Waypoint flying mode mission. And even then, it would not be an 'autonomous' mission, I don't think??
2021-4-18
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Will there be more openings at some point? The beta for the app is full atm.
2021-4-19
Use props
fansf83c47ba
New

Denmark

Any news on native waypoint support on MA2 or mini 2?
I sincerely hope DJI will listen to loyal customers, when we iterate, and have done so for a year, that waypoint flight is critical. Leisure pilots may be able to live without, but serious and pro pilots are forced to look elsewhere, as waypoint mode is the backbone of our use.
Personally, I am looking to move from Phantom series to compact drones. But native WP mode is not a feature, it is essential.
Please tell me, not to look at the closing competition!???
2021-5-25
Use props
fans49b854d6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1430226 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good news.
Just got this for my beta testing....

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 7.27.18 AM.png

2021-5-28
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

As mentioned a few posts earlier here, MAVEN does indeed offer a superb waypoint facility for the Mavic Air2.  Here is ANOTHER video, for anyone who missed the one posted earlier.  Maven does use "virtual sticks" protocol for its waypoint capability, which requires that the controller MUST be in constant signal range with the drone, as opposed to Litchi's waypoint app for older DJI drones that allow missions to continue even after the signal is lost. MAVEN costs a mere $15.  Don't wait for DJIGo or Litchi, since the waypoint ability of MAVEN is superb, and still being refined on a daily basis.

2021-5-28
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

Muttley7 Posted at 5-28 23:28
As mentioned a few posts earlier here, MAVEN does indeed offer a superb waypoint facility for the Mavic Air2.  Here is ANOTHER video, for anyone who missed the one posted earlier.  Maven does use "virtual sticks" protocol for its waypoint capability, which requires that the controller MUST be in constant signal range with the drone, as opposed to Litchi's waypoint app for older DJI drones that allow missions to continue even after the signal is lost. MAVEN costs a mere $15.  Don't wait for DJIGo or Litchi, since the waypoint ability of MAVEN is superb, and still being refined on a daily basis.

https://youtu.be/PKDapZ5QVcs

But it's still ONLY for Apple users. Maven isn't available for android users yet.
2021-5-29
Use props
Wyldwestaz10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1099068 ft
United States

I Realize this is an older post. MA2 can be used with Dronelink since December of 2020. The best overall automated mission app on the market for these series drones. Virtual Joystick approach makes it possible to fly automated missions with even more functions and features with drones which have no ability to load the plan  onboard. Other mission Apps only support drones which have onboard loading of the plan. Dronelink does now have onboard waypoints for the drones which support them. Either way if you have a drone which is supported by Dronelink you can use their app for Virtial Joystick for drones which don't have onboard capability, or Onboard Waypoints if the drone has that capability. Joystick method can be used on drones which have onboard capability too. Either way it's an amazing app and worth every cent.  Enjoy everyone.
2021-12-16
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I have a few target shots I capture frequently for documenting activity.  

What I did was set up individual WayPoints missions for each shot. I let the drone fly to the WayPoint and adjust the camera angle then stop it.  I then manually take the photo or video and then select the next WayPoint I want to go to.

Not a perfect solution but it suits may need.

You will have to finishing the WayPoint Hyperlapse setup by adding more than one point but my idea was to get the location with the proper altitude and camera angle for each shot.
2021-12-23
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules