Need longer cable
9704 14 2020-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flcusat
lvl.2
United States

Good morning fellas. New guy here and need some assistance.
I just got a new Mavic Mini, and because I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ in an Otterbox, I needed to get a longer cable (USB Micro to USB C) to be able to use the S9+ with the Otterbox mounted in this holder
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RK5FYY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I ordered this cable from Amazon, but it doesn't connect (the short cable that came with the Mini works properly when I remove the Otterbox).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082G8DD3B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also ordered this one and doesn't work either.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LONQ7R6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To make sure that the Otterbox wasn't letting the cables sit properly I removed it, but still no go.

Could someone recommend a good quality cable (around 12") for my setup?
Also, is there any specific parameter on the cable that I might be missing other than the USB micro to USB-C?
Thanks in advance.

2020-5-3
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

There are many but I think it's pretty safe assumption this can be one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000145945264.html

If you're looking for something a bit more speedier to get be prepared to pay a lot more, but don't expect the quality to be different.
2020-5-3
Use props
3Recon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Morning, I run a SG s9+ also with the heavier unicorn beetle case like the defender. The problem I'm sure you have realized the case is just to thick for the controllers arms and I have had to remove case which makes it a little more effort to fly. Your second choice with a inline connector should of worked but I'm sure you had a alignment issue like you noticed. I went to a PGYTECH Pad Holder which allowed larger opening on the ends. I also have a little micro usb to usb C (straight) which allows me to use a standard micro USB to MUSB OTG jumper cable.
I fill you trying to protect your phone investment good luck. below is a link to the connector I was speaking of. sorry for length

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack- ... 2060353.m2749.l2649
2020-5-3
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wish the Mavic Mini came with longer cables. Had to buy one myself.
2020-5-3
Use props
fans5001b6ce
lvl.2
United States

OK guys, first of all, I want to say thank you to m80116 and 3Recon for their suggestion.
I want to share with you the solution I came up with that it works for me.
After posting here I started doing some research and discovered that the actual Micro USB connector on the Mini Controller is a type A, which although it is backward compatible with the type B if you are not really careful when inserting a type B cable into the type A connector, you can get it damaged even if you have inserted the cable it the right way.
So the first thing I did was try to find a USB Micro type A Male to USB C male cable and after hours of searching the web, I couldn't find one.
So I decided to used the short one that came with the Mini and looked for a short USB C male to USB C female cable to extend the original cable.
This is the one I ordered and worked pretty good for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085NR7BHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So now I can use my phone without removing the Otterbox mounted on a tablet mount.
Here are some pictures of the setup although I still need to figure some cable management to make it look better.

2020-5-6
Use props
fans5001b6ce
lvl.2
United States

I don't really know why the post above came up under a different profile though.
2020-5-6
Use props
flcusat
lvl.2
United States

If some moderator could take a look at why this happened I would really appreciate it.
2020-5-6
Use props
flcusat
lvl.2
United States

I also ordered a longer USB C female to USB A male cable to use for charging the RC.
Again I don't really like the idea of using the supplied charging cables that are USB Micro B type since in my research I found a few cases of people that accidentally have damaged the connector on the RC.
2020-5-6
Use props
3Recon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Great, looks like your set. After reading about your success I went for a couple A to Mini adapters. I have a similar phone holder as mention above. I still going to try my S Galaxy Tab s3 just to try because.
Enjoy your setup.
whisper.... I may have loosed up my USB A connector on the controller using the supplied charging cable.
2020-5-6
Use props
Thalisbl
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I wanted to have a similar set up as the below video and I though that the purchase and use of a longer cable wouldn't be a problem. But obviously nothing is straight forward lol
And in my case I need something longer than 30cm....probably a meter or so. I suppose it will be buy, try and see how it will go :-)

2020-5-6
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Just FYI I am not a fan of re-routing through multiple adapters, cables, plugs, sockets... especially while flying an UAV.

I've been the victim of constant problems with my MM RC including very frequent RC to MD disconnections wrongly announced by the Fly app. Should this happen to you be ready to unplug and plug back in the cable as it might re-establish the connection.
2020-5-6
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14094 ft
Austria

m80116 Posted at 5-3 07:54
There are many but I think it's pretty safe assumption this can be one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000145945264.html

The problems I have with all these cables: They are not the same like the one from DJI. I want the small connector at the remote. And not such a big one..

Until that I will use my phone and not my tablet..
2020-5-7
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

It kinda sucks that DJI didnt put the USB socket on the remote as is seen on the Mavic Pro range of controllers, the app has just been updated to include the Ipad (full screen looks better) and my Ipad mini 2 sits nicely in the controller, only problem is the cable is to short, I now need to find a USB Micro to lightening cable that is just long enough.

Scratch that I just realised I had one for my Mavic Pro that I used, cant wait to get out and see what the Fly app looks like on Ipad Mini2

2020-5-7
Use props
flcusat
lvl.2
United States

3Recon Posted at 5-6 12:21
Great, looks like your set. After reading about your success I went for a couple A to Mini adapters. I have a similar phone holder as mention above. I still going to try my S Galaxy Tab s3 just to try because.
Enjoy your setup.
whisper.... I may have loosed up my USB A connector on the controller using the supplied charging cable.

Yeah, definitely using a micro USB b cable is an accident waiting to happen
2020-5-7
Use props
flcusat
lvl.2
United States

m80116 Posted at 5-6 14:01
Just FYI I am not a fan of re-routing through multiple adapters, cables, plugs, sockets... especially while flying an UAV.

I've been the victim of constant problems with my MM RC including very frequent RC to MD disconnections wrongly announced by the Fly app. Should this happen to you be ready to unplug and plug back in the cable as it might re-establish the connection.

Thanks for the advice.
I don't like it either, but I guess it is a necessary evil unless that I take the phone out of the Otterbox all the time, which is not only a pain in the neck, but also could get the phone or the case damaged in the process.
For now, I'm planning on flying only on the line of sight, so I can always retake control of the Mini by the RC sticks and bring it back if a disconnect with the phone occurs.
I'm wondering what percentage of the disconnects in general, is due to a faulty connector on the RC, because of the mismatch of the charging cable?
2020-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules