Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air 2 and the Crystalsky
12Next >
9374 44 2020-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans44815e5e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 878471 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi all

I have just purchased the Mavic Air 2 and am looking forward to flying it. At present I have the Mavic Air  and a Tello for indoors.

I use a CrystalSky Monitor with my Mavic Air and really like its high brightness and resolution etc. I understand the DJI Fly app is not supported at present. Is this something that will happen in the near future as I would really love to use the Crystal Sky on the Mavic Air 2, it was an expensive addition to my DJI equipment.

Please could anyone advise on this, I appreciate it is very soon after the launch, but it is a valid request I feel after spending out for the Crystal Sky and thinking it would be useful for more than just one of my drones.

Kind regards

Kevin
2020-5-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Kevin, Mavic Air 2 doesn’t support CrystalSky and we do not have related information whether it will be supported. Your need will be forwarded to our engineer for attention, please stay tuned to the future update on DJI official website.
2020-5-3
Use props
fans44ea3c13
lvl.1

United States

Not supporting crystalsky on Mavic air 2 is a deal breaker for me. Will not be purchasing unlessots support is planned.
2020-5-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans44ea3c13 Posted at 5-4 15:31
Not supporting crystalsky on Mavic air 2 is a deal breaker for me. Will not be purchasing unlessots support is planned.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused, your requirement will be transferred to our development team, if it is possible in the future, we will update our website.
2020-5-4
Use props
Gemini Aeronautics
New

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-4 22:46
We apologize for any inconvenience caused, your requirement will be transferred to our development team, if it is possible in the future, we will update our website.

Hello Mindy.  I agree with others.  The lack of support of the DJI Fly App on the CrystalSky monitor is a deal breaker.  I have significant investment in DJI equipment and the CrystalSky is a hugely valuable tool.  Without DJI Fly support on the CrystalSky monitor, I have no reason to invest more of my commercial operations assets in the latest technology of the Mavic Air 2.  It is unfortunate that this was not thought out during the development of the Mavic Air 2.  I think is very important to a lot of CrystalSky owners that DJI software developers continue to support the CrystalSky.  Many of us use this monitor for commercial purposes and we expect to be able to continue to use the latest technology in drones as well.  Thank you for your time.
2020-5-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Gemini Aeronautics Posted at 5-5 06:52
Hello Mindy.  I agree with others.  The lack of support of the DJI Fly App on the CrystalSky monitor is a deal breaker.  I have significant investment in DJI equipment and the CrystalSky is a hugely valuable tool.  Without DJI Fly support on the CrystalSky monitor, I have no reason to invest more of my commercial operations assets in the latest technology of the Mavic Air 2.  It is unfortunate that this was not thought out during the development of the Mavic Air 2.  I think is very important to a lot of CrystalSky owners that DJI software developers continue to support the CrystalSky.  Many of us use this monitor for commercial purposes and we expect to be able to continue to use the latest technology in drones as well.  Thank you for your time.

Hi Gemini, thanks for your feedback, we'll forward your request to the related team.
2020-5-6
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634505 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi it will not utilize the Crystal Sky but DJI says the smart controller will work with it.
I have the smart controller and am looking forward to using it with the Mavic Air 2. It’s like the Crystal  Sky
2020-5-19
Use props
Eyemat
New

United States

I now own a Mavic Air, a Mavic Air 2, and a Crystalsky. I think it's backward thinking to not support use of the Crystalsky with the Mavic Air 2! Please DJI...Support the install of the DJI Fly App on the Crystalsky 5.5.
2020-5-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Eyemat Posted at 5-30 16:06
I now own a Mavic Air, a Mavic Air 2, and a Crystalsky. I think it's backward thinking to not support use of the Crystalsky with the Mavic Air 2! Please DJI...Support the install of the DJI Fly App on the Crystalsky 5.5.

Sorry that Mavic Air doesn't support the CrystalSky, we have already forwarded your need to our engineers for attention, please keep an eye on DJI website of the future update.
2020-5-31
Use props
kevinh98
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have just watched a video where the smart controller can output screen to another monitor.

Just a thought, if it is a problem to get the 64 bit Fly app to work on the Crystalsky, could it not become a monitor for my phone. This will mean my expensive Crystalsky is not entirely useless now I have the Air 2.

If I cant use the Crystalsky it will be very hard to sell as no one will have a use for it.
2020-5-31
Use props
kevinh98
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-31 00:48
Sorry that Mavic Air doesn't support the CrystalSky, we have already forwarded your need to our engineers for attention, please keep an eye on DJI website of the future update.

Mavic Air is supported with Go 4 app its just the Air 2 that isnt
2020-5-31
Use props
fans2a37274c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13599 ft
United States

I am in full agreement with my fellow crystalsky owners. Having owned four DJI drones I'm totally disappointed with the lack of concern for crystalsky owners but making plans for the smart remote which in some cases cost less than the crystalsky.
Let's keep communicating with DJI.
2020-6-17
Use props
davidsevensys.ro
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1160233 ft
Italy

I own a Mavic air and a 5.5 Crystalsky and I love the CS more than the drone itself. I am sad I can't update to Air 2 because I don't want to ever fly again with a smartphone. I bought the CS less than a year ago, brand new from an official DJI reseller hoping to use it many times even after crashing/selling my Air 1 drone in the future.
2020-6-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

davidsevensys.ro Posted at 6-21 04:50
I own a Mavic air and a 5.5 Crystalsky and I love the CS more than the drone itself. I am sad I can't update to Air 2 because I don't want to ever fly again with a smartphone. I bought the CS less than a year ago, brand new from an official DJI reseller hoping to use it many times even after crashing/selling my Air 1 drone in the future.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, your frustration will be forwarded to our R&D for attention, if it is possible in the future, we will update on our website.
2020-6-21
Use props
djiuser_Ff2b3tNsatNx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2149 ft
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-21 22:26
We apologize for the inconvenience caused, your frustration will be forwarded to our R&D for attention, if it is possible in the future, we will update on our website.

I have the same question, make it work please otherwise it is a worthless expensive device
2020-9-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_Ff2b3tNsatNx Posted at 9-18 09:16
I have the same question, make it work please otherwise it is a worthless expensive device

Hi there, could you please let me know the details of the problem that you encountered? I'd like to help you check it, thanks.
2020-9-18
Use props
Oldbloke
New

Australia

It has been sometime since it was first asked about the use of the Crystal Sky with the Mavic Air 2.
Can we please have an update such as likely position in the development queue; Likely date for release, else not to proceed - request ignored??
Please provide some tidbit of information to stop us starving, or at worst seeking something else.
Thanks - here's hoping
2020-9-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Oldbloke Posted at 9-29 20:25
It has been sometime since it was first asked about the use of the Crystal Sky with the Mavic Air 2.
Can we please have an update such as likely position in the development queue; Likely date for release, else not to proceed - request ignored??
Please provide some tidbit of information to stop us starving, or at worst seeking something else.

Hi Oldbloke, we've double confirmed with our R&D engineers, there is no plan to support the current CrystalSky as of the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
2020-9-29
Use props
kevinh98
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oldbloke Posted at 9-29 20:25

I sold mine and got a Smart controller.

There are a lot of reasons why the crystalsky will not be supporting the Fly app, not least it is 32 bit.

Unlikely to ever be supported is my thoughts.

2020-9-30
Use props
djiuser_cJhCsBQCyoFr
New

Bermuda

wow! i was looking fwd to buying Mavic air2 and never thought thered be a no go with the Crystal Sky.  Many use CS for its easier visuals..help with detail..seeing what is not possible on a tiny screen full of info.
Another sale or two lost now foe Dji
2020-10-3
Use props
Matt McCann - NJ
lvl.1

United States

i'd love to upgrade from my mavic air to the mavic air 2 but only if i can use my crystal sky 7.85" ultra-bright.....that i also use with my P4P.  no way am i downgrading to 5.5" 1,000 cd/m2.  tell the decision makers at DJI to get on the ball with this.....thanks.
2020-10-17
Use props
fans5a9f2b7d
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I think you have had enough time on this consideration. And the fact you repeatedly say "we will pass this on to our engineers" is quite the insulting thing if I am honest. £600 for a crystal sky which is now useless on my new drones. The only reason I bought the mavic mini 2 was because of ocusync 2.0. This being the safest method of flight as the mavic mini isn't up to the job connectivity speaking.
We want the tech you so charge the earth for to be cross platform and interchangeable where applicable instead of your very weak answers. I want to see this done pretty much immediately. Over the years I have stood by and watched these forums with hardly any changes suggested placed in to affect. I have also spent now tens of thousands affectively. DJI are no better than Apple. Nothing you sell is cheap! So why reduce your own products potential? For money? As the rules from all governing bodies close in from all of our countries, so will your sales and customer loyalty. Remember us!
2020-11-29
Use props
teamadcor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1061847 ft
Germany

I own a Mavic Air 2,  Inspire pro,  M200, P3pro and P4pro and they all work with Crystalsky except the Mavic Air 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Please provide a FLY app version for the Mavic Air 2.... PLEASE
2021-1-19
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

As far as DJI is concerned the CrystalSky is a dead product. They really screwed us on that thing...
2021-1-20
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

The Fly app is written in 64-bit only and DJI has no plans to make it backward compatible with any 32-bit hardware and/or OS such as Clearsky.
64-bit is the future and DJI doesn't plan on going back....althought that leaves many people in the 32-bit world unhappy.
That's why Clearsky will never work with MA2, or anything that required the Fly app. Period.

If you want the absolute best viewing experience, get DJI goggles.
1080p per eye right in font of your eyes with all ambient lights blocked makes it really really nice....although there will be no head tracking for MA2.
100x better than crystalsky or smart controller.

2021-1-20
Use props
djiuser_CBMwIAtrMWlT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115417 ft
Switzerland

DIY_Quad Posted at 1-20 22:01
The Fly app is written in 64-bit only and DJI has no plans to make it backward compatible with any 32-bit hardware and/or OS such as Clearsky.
64-bit is the future and DJI doesn't plan on going back....althought that leaves many people in the 32-bit world unhappy.
That's why Clearsky will never work with MA2, or anything that required the Fly app. Period.

Which goggles are you referring to? The "DJI Goggles" or the "DJI Goggles RE"? And how to link these up with the MA2 controller?
2021-1-21
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_CBMwIAtrMWlT Posted at 1-21 01:39
Which goggles are you referring to? The "DJI Goggles" or the "DJI Goggles RE"? And how to link these up with the MA2 controller?

I was talking about the white DJI goggles, but you could use the black one too.

Below is what I managed to put together.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=233756
2021-1-21
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1640843 ft
Italy

This about CristalSky is another thing I didn't know about DJI.
We continue and DJI continues to call that drone Mavic Air 2 but obviously, we begin to understand that it is not an evolution of the Mavic Air if the number of functions due to the use of a different App and the number of hardware that can be used with it is lower than the Mavic Air.
Generally, "2" is a product that not only offers better technical features, but also greater expandability and greater functionality.

The Mavic air 2 does not allow:

• Use of cristalsky
  • Use of DJI goggles
  • Waypoints
  • YouTube live
  • the choice of using Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority or full manual control and locking the ISO setting

What else?
As you can see, all these shortcomings are due to the fact that DJI Go 4 is not compatible with the Mavic Air 2.

Now I don't know what was behind the need to change the software but as a software engineer, I try not to decrease the functions of the previous software when I have to make a generational leap.

As for the hardware improvements, I obviously have nothing to say because the new drone is better than the previous one.

Maybe hardware was given more importance than software ... I don't know

2021-1-21
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I saw on another forum that some CystalSky owners have tried to use a modified 32 bit version of the DJY Fly app compiled for the Smart Controller.  The report back was that the CystalSkys lacks the hardware capabilities to to run the DJI Fly app.  There was not much detail in regards to the limitations.
2021-1-21
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
lvl.4
Italy

So John, you say 32bit architecture is the problem?
I cannot find the technical specifications of the CristalSky and the Smart Controller.

If so, I am amazed that they are still on sale. This would mean that the DJGo 4.0 App has reached the end of the updates.

This would explain why they switched to another App for new products. Completely rewritten.

Then perhaps, there is a possibility that the missing functions are gradually replenished.
Unfortunately, the accessory hardware will also need to be upgraded, I guess.
2021-1-21
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Raf_IZ0QWM Posted at 1-21 22:58
I cannot find the technical specifications of the CristalSky and the Smart Controller.

That appears to be the case.
If you look at the updates the Fly app is getting, they are migrating features from the GO app to the Fly app.
2021-1-22
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
lvl.4
Italy

I don't know if that's the reason.
What kind of hardware does the smart controller have? 32 or 64bit?
Okay, whatever the reason for switching to the DJI Fly app, I hope that all the functions that the Mavic Air had available will be brought back into it. This is to have a real Mavic Air 2 improved in all its parts

In another thread I am trying to summarize in a list all the ones that users would need.
2021-1-22
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

davidsevensys.ro Posted at 2020-6-21 04:50

2021-1-22
Use props
AdmBenson
lvl.4
France

Litchi (a quite old version) works on the CS with my Inspire Pro
Does the new Litchi work with the MA2 ?
2021-1-22
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
lvl.4
Italy

AdmBenson Posted at 1-22 16:45
Litchi (a quite old version) works on the CS with my Inspire Pro
Does the new Litchi work with the MA2 ?

Yes it works but  litchi doesn't have virtual sticks mode so using waypoints is not possible.
It works in the same way like the Fly App works.
2021-1-22
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

Raf_IZ0QWM Posted at 1-21 22:58

There is a difference between 32 bit chip architecture and compiling for a 32 bit processor.  The nuances are complex and it would take a little while to familiarize yourself differences.

I do not believe from what I have read that the 32 bit compelling is the issue.  It is the appears from other forums to be the hardware of the CystalSky.  The Smart Controller is 32 bit and DJI has compiled a 32 bit version of the DJI Fly app for it which works.  But the same 32 bit compiled app does not run on the CrystalSky.  

The chip architecture, how it processes the flow of bits in regards to the operating system and hardware capabilities appears to be the problem which is a hardware issue.  

I do not have either the Smart Controller of the CrystalSky but have gleaned this information from other CrystalSky users who have tried to run the 32 bit compiled version of the DJI Fly app.  The testers theorized that the CrystalSky is not capable of running newer 32 bit complied Android applications because the hardware is antiquated.

A simple explanation of a very uncertain and complex problem is the Smart Controller is based a 32 bit version of Android which has certain standard hardware requirements.   While, the CrystalSky supposedly is based off a non-standard custom Android operating system and the hardware lacks the capabilities to run certain processes efficiently or what so ever.
2021-1-23
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

DIY_Quad Posted at 1-22 12:17
That appears to be the case.
If you look at the updates the Fly app is getting, they are migrating features from the GO app to the Fly app.

DIY_Quad, from my understanding the DJI Fly app is a complete rewrite starting from scratch.  I that case DJI is not copying the features based on the existing code for the GO 4 app but are mimicking the features from the ground up in the DJI Fly app by replicating the functionality.

I am sure out of efficiency DJI reuses some of the code structure processes and graphic user interfaces elements like the icons and images.  This helps speed up development time and standardizes the experience across the two applications.
If the 32 bit hardware meets the minium reqirements a 64 bit application can be compiled to run on a 32 bit system with some tweaking.
2021-1-23
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
lvl.4
Italy

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-23 09:11
There is a difference between 32 bit chip architecture and compiling for a 32 bit processor.  The nuances are complex and it would take a little while to familiarize yourself differences.

I do not believe from what I have read that the 32 bit compelling is the issue.  It is the appears from other forums to be the hardware of the CystalSky.  The Smart Controller is 32 bit and DJI has compiled a 32 bit version of the DJI Fly app for it which works.  But the same 32 bit compiled app does not run on the CrystalSky.  

John, I know the difference between using the 64bit bus and the 32bit bus.
That's exactly why I asked that question. Could it be that they have been forced to completely change the software to compile it on a 64-bit platform?

Usually it is better to completely rewrite the software if it has to interface with hardware different from the previous one, a new hardware that needs a different compiler version. Porting is much more complex than rewriting everything.

For example, in my old job we were forced to change hardware for some terminals, going from a windows kernel to a Linux one ... it was better to completely rewrite everything than not porting the tight software to C ++

As always happens in this field, the hardware soon becomes obsolete and it is for this reason that I did not buy the Smart Controller because slowly it will also become obsolete.
Together with him also the software that can be installed on top.

This is what happened to those who bought the Cristal Sky

Having a new mobile phone, however, will allow me to have always updated software.

It is therefore very likely that some components inside the old DJI drones are going into obsolescence or the technology has moved forward and new hardware is being used in new drones now requires software that should be rewritten.

2021-1-23
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

Raf_IZ0QWM Posted at 1-23 10:09
John, I know the difference between using the 64bit bus and the 32bit bus.
That's exactly why I asked that question. Could it be that they have been forced to completely change the software to compile it on a 64-bit platform?

I think we are on the same page except for the chip architecture issue.  

My belief based on information from others on the MavPilot forum is that the CystalSky use the "arm-v7a" which does not use a MicroKernal chip architecture but a Layered and not the old Monolithic architecture.  I had to rely on others to get the information about the processor which is inherantly flawed and could be incorrect.  The consensus was that the CrystalSky's "arm-v7a" chip architecture was Layered and that the current Android compiler no longer supports the creation of applications for layer architecture.  

In essence, the CrystalSkys from a development standpoint is a legacy product unless a full rewrite of the DJI Fly app was done specifically for the CrystalSky.  DJI has the existing GO 4 app configuration for the CrystalSky and therefore can make updates to it.  The last CrystalSky firmware update was in May of 2018 and the last GO 4 app update was in mid 2019 for the CrystalSky.

The Smart Controller uses an "armv8l" processor.  The age of the processor is also one of the main reasons I have not bought the Smart Controller either.  I also concur that support for older drones will diminish as the hardware is deemed legacy.
2021-1-23
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
lvl.4
Italy

Very well,
we are on the same wavelength.
I prefer to keep my mobile phone which will be updated with my times and will follow the software evolutions.

Right now, I'm only sorry that the DJI Fly App isn't as advanced as the DJI Go 4, but in my opinion, it will come to the same maturity.

Too bad that google play has been blocked for DJI, which is also stopping the development of alternative software for Android : the iOS Dronelink version is more advanced than the android one
2021-1-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules