Computer processing specs
1895 4 2020-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cashsted
lvl.1

New Zealand

Hi,
I'm looking to invest in the awesome looking Mavic Air 2. But before I splash the cash I'm trying to understand what specs i'm going to need on my computer to have the grunt to process the files that the Air 2 will produce. I love the idea of the high-spec drone, but there's no point capturing amazing footage and then not being able to edit or play it. I've got a 2015 Macbook Pro - 2.9GHz Dual-core i5, 16GB 1867 Mhz DDR3, Intel iris Graohics 6100 1536MB. That stuff doesn't mean a lot to me, but I have a new GoPro8 and I'm finding it very jumpy with footage shot at 1080 240fps - however 4k 30fps seems to be ok. Anyone got any ideas about minimum specs, especially for the 4k 60fps for example, would be much appreciated. I'm a complete newbie to the world of drones to any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!
2020-5-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you use FCPX or Adobe you can create proxy files so that you can edit the h265 files,  but it will be very slow.  My late 2016 MacBook Pro cannot cope with H265, but H264 is a breeze.
2020-5-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

H265 is still rather 'new' and most editors won't cope with it too well.
That is not because of the hardware per sé....
But H264 should not be any issue.
2020-5-6
Use props
Cashsted
lvl.1

New Zealand

Thanks a lot for the advice. I have researched what H264 and H265 are and now have a much better understanding of a lot of things!
Really appreciate it.

Cashy
2020-5-14
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

I can't see why you aren't addressing your issue logically.
You will buy the drone and then you will know if you have to upgrade to a more capable computer or not.
One step at a time.
Things you can do with your computer to speed it up when video editing might be these.
1/ always work on a copy of the video footage running from your hard drive. This is the fastest way of passing the data to and from the editor.
2/ most computers benefit from a total wipe and system restore. Apple is better than pc, for a similar age, but this removes clutter from the hd and unnecessary activity from apps that are no longer used. The system will always greatly speed up by doing this.
3/ when editing, only run the editor. Any other software will steal performance, even if ticking over in the background. Even being connected to the internet will slow the system.
4/ there may be faster editors than the one you use.
5/ the memory size you claim is excellent. Bigger is better than a faster processor.
2020-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules