5057 27 2020-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
J04DAN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34413 ft
Canada

DJI,

Please bring a sharpness control to DJI Fly for the Mavic Mini in the next update. The image that the Mini captures is fantastic but the aggressive digital sharpening kills a lot of shots with vertical lines.

I understand that for an entry level drone you want it to be sharp by default since a lot of people unfamilar with video editing will think it looks good so by all means leave it at max by default. Just give people who know how to edit the ability to turn it off so they can do it in post and dial it in on a per shot basis.

You've honestly done a great job adding manual controls to allow for a better image. Now just give us that one last cookie.
2020-5-5
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Are you shooting 1080p ? I don't think they use sharpening (I don't see enhanced edges but very edgy edges at 1080p)... I think it's the nominal 2.7K quickly downscaled to 1080.
2020-5-5
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Would be great for sure. +1
2020-5-5
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Completely agree.
2020-5-5
Use props
J04DAN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34413 ft
Canada

m80116 Posted at 5-5 15:23
Are you shooting 1080p ? I don't think they use sharpening (I don't see enhanced edges but very edgy edges at 1080p)... I think it's the nominal 2.7K quickly downscaled to 1080.

I shoot in 2k but I can see it in 1080p as well. They most definitely apply digital sharpening in camera.
2020-5-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+! for a great idea.
2020-5-6
Use props
flyRaoul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26978 ft
Germany

yep, great idea! Bring it with the raw update please
2020-5-6
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

Agree with JO4DAN. Please DJI, give the ability to turn off the sharpness
2020-5-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

J04DAN Posted at 5-5 15:55
I shoot in 2k but I can see it in 1080p as well. They most definitely apply digital sharpening in camera.

They do, shaper image seems to be the in thing, particularly new users are very impressed by it, I’m not so sure.
I think there might be a chance Mavic Air2 was released without it, and I would hope that users of MA2 would campaign for it to be put back as MA1 had it, so with both craft using same app there might be a chance mini could get it .
2020-5-6
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4862598 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Agreed. Sharpening must be applied in post production. Sharpening in camera add false details and spending bitrate. DJI! Please!
2020-5-7
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

For my knowledge I can appreciate the MM 1080p video as being very resolvent and acute but not over sharpened, if sharpened at all.

Sharpening (in the actual meaning of digitally enhancing  contrast around the edges) is one thing, acute or resolvence another, that is what the MM especially in its 1080p record is, downscaled using a simple algorithm that produces very clear near pixel level details.

As we are accustomed to more traditional demosaicing coming from Bayer filters this at 1:1 output (no scaling) produces softer images with no clear pixel level detail. If you grab a still picture from a Mavic Mini 1080p video and compare against a picture from a Foveon X3 sensor camera that gathers RGB light from every pixel you'll notice the picture detail resembling that downscaled from the Mavic Mini: lots of per pixel detail but also the image is perceived a bit noisy, despite actual noise levels (at low ISO) probably not having a perceivable effect, on the contrary that kind of harshness is inbred in the type of per pixel detail the image is carrying.

Anyway... I do believe its quite easy to cure with a gaussian filter used at sub-pixel lengths.
Here some examples:

The animated picture (gif) alternates a still picture from a 1080p untouched MM video and the same still processed with 0.5 px gaussian filter and subsequent sharpening. You can easily notice in the untouched picture the branches have no enhanced sharpening, even the next adjacent pixel still pertaining to the background field has no perceivable brightness shift. This denotes how little if any sharpening is applied to MM 1080p video. On the contrary with the filtered image you can clearly see a big increase in brightness shift around the branches, and that is around 80% sharpness of 1px radius applied as gaussian. That is by far the shapest... yet it offers considerably less detail.

DJI_0008.MP4_snapshot_00.00_[2020.05.07_23.25.gif
DJI_0008.MP4_snapshot_00.00_[2020.05.07_23.25.16].jpg
2020-5-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We appreciate your bring this to our attention, your need will be forwarded to our engieneers for consideration, please note the future update on DJI website.
2020-5-10
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-10 22:27
We appreciate your bring this to our attention, your need will be forwarded to our engieneers for consideration, please note the future update on DJI website.

Thanks Mindy, we are waiting
2020-5-10
Use props
Elias22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105180 ft
Finland

Yes please! There is a wierd effect and the footage looks oversharpened.
2020-5-12
Use props
baldhead
lvl.2
Flight distance : 223694 ft
Denmark

yes please +1
2020-5-16
Use props
AdeyM
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I just got my Mini and it's brilliant now with the manual controls, but yes, please allow us to turn off sharpening!
2020-5-24
Use props
TMvideo
lvl.3
Ukraine

+1
Video and photo look sharpened too much. Especially nature and trees look oversharpened.
Also would be great to have basic noise reduction option
2020-6-4
Use props
gt3rs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280056 ft
Switzerland

+1
And also please provide the possibility to lower contrast and saturation too
2020-6-4
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Not sure if this is related. I find mm footage weirdly grainy for reason. There are very fine grains that is very noticeable again light colored backgrounds. In photos and videos.
2020-6-4
Use props
Eka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1293625 ft
Serbia

MM has same sensor as the original Mavic Pro, i think. DJI just keeps camera quality a bit lower probably or else we would have same image as Pro.
2020-6-4
Use props
ivarossi
lvl.1

Italy

Same issue with Mini 2, sharpening introduces a lot of noise
2021-4-21
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

You can change sharpening settings in the Litchi app for MM1.
2021-4-21
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Also the more expensive drones need it turned off too.  Please give GO 4 app support to the MA2 and A2S.  MA1 can turn sharpness down to -3 but the more expensive drones can't?
2021-4-21
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

i got pocket and it is also sharpened like MM. Weird grainy effect. Dislike.
2021-5-1
Use props
Battistella
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154521 ft
Italy

Tuxtard Posted at 4-21 14:25

Great news. Why use the DJI APP?

Perfect. Can switch to Litchi for this drone and have more camera control.

Excellent.

2021-6-18
Use props
mhariush
lvl.1

United States

Tuxtard Posted at 4-21 14:25

hi
I just picked up a mavic mini and i always thought the image look too overly sharpened, but at the price this sold, why not. What are the camera control settings available in Litchi? Can you share some screen grabs?
The app looks interesting, but its $25 and I don't want to buy it unless it can actually do what I need.

Can you turn down sharpness past "0"? Or can you turn off sharpening altogether?
2021-12-2
Use props
mhariush
lvl.1

United States

m80116 Posted at 2020-5-7 14:04
For my knowledge I can appreciate the MM 1080p video as being very resolvent and acute but not over sharpened, if sharpened at all.

Sharpening (in the actual meaning of digitally enhancing  contrast around the edges) is one thing, acute or resolvence another, that is what the MM especially in its 1080p record is, downscaled using a simple algorithm that produces very clear near pixel level details.

I just picked up a mini, and haven't flown it yet because it turns out that the app isnt compatible with Android 12 yet... sigh.

So the 1080p video does not have sharpening applied? Is this only added in 2.7k?
2021-12-2
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

mhariush Posted at 12-2 14:27
hi
I just picked up a mavic mini and i always thought the image look too overly sharpened, but at the price this sold, why not. What are the camera control settings available in Litchi? Can you share some screen grabs?
The app looks interesting, but its $25 and I don't want to buy it unless it can actually do what I need.

Hi.

Here you can get Litchi screenshots for Mavic Mini:

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... eECIybg?usp=sharing

Basically, Litchi offers options for Sharpness, Saturation and Contrast in range from -3 to +3. I was in a hurry and was just able to take some screenshots of my office wall, but you can see how these settings affect the image and how sharpness changes are noticeable on the picture frame.
2021-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules