"Follow Me" mode for Mavic Pro 2 Zoom
4671 19 2020-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_NXCfyyyZswMG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18133 ft
United States

I just purchased the Pro 2 zoom because i thought it had "Follow me" gps based tracking,  but it seems it only has "Active Track 2.0" which i believe is camera based. Is this true? If so, why was "follow me" removed?
Many thanks!
2020-5-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep only active track 2.  Not even active track 3 does gps tracking yet.
2020-5-6
Use props
djiuser_NXCfyyyZswMG
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-6 00:17
Yep only active track 2.  Not even active track 3 does gps tracking yet.

Thanks for the response. Do you know why DJI had Follow Me gps in the Mavic Pro but removed this in Mavic Pro 2 series?
2020-5-6
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

djiuser_NXCfyyyZswMG Posted at 5-6 01:21
Thanks for the response. Do you know why DJI had Follow Me gps in the Mavic Pro but removed this in Mavic Pro 2 series?

Mavic Pro didn't have GPS follow me
2020-5-6
Use props
djiuser_NXCfyyyZswMG
lvl.1
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 5-6 02:37
Mavic Pro didn't have GPS follow me

Interesting.  According to this it did... https://youtu.be/j1I5QySlKGE
2020-5-6
Use props
djiuser_NXCfyyyZswMG
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_NXCfyyyZswMG Posted at 5-6 03:49
Interesting.  According to this it did... https://youtu.be/j1I5QySlKGE

Also
https://youtu.be/rQRF0pcMsMo
2020-5-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_NXCfyyyZswMG Posted at 5-6 01:21

I don't believe it ever had it to start with,  the Skydio does though.
2020-5-6
Use props
djiuser_NXCfyyyZswMG
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-6 05:01

This video supposedly demos it
https://youtu.be/22DrpBgG_1w
Goto to 3:15
2020-5-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_NXCfyyyZswMG Posted at 5-6 05:56
This video supposedly demos it
https://youtu.be/22DrpBgG_1w
Goto to 3:15

I stand corrected - https://www.tomstechtime.com/follow-me-mode
2020-5-6
Use props
djiuser_NXCfyyyZswMG
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-6 06:05
I stand corrected - https://www.tomstechtime.com/follow-me-mode

Sucks that they removed it from the Mavic 2 Pro
2020-5-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_NXCfyyyZswMG Posted at 5-6 06:23
Sucks that they removed it from the Mavic 2 Pro

The camera tracking is pretty good to be honest,  never had too much of a problem with it, and its more flexible as you don't need the subject to have the controller.
2020-5-6
Use props
TRiPWiRE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 560472 ft
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 5-6 05:01

Personally, I found Active Track pretty disappointing. So many times it loses the target in clear, open areas. It gets stuck behind the most basic of objects and overall, provided a frustrating experience for me.

I knew I was dissatisfied with Active Track but recently, I got to try a Skydio 2 and realized just HOW disappointing Active Track is in comparison! The Skydio is like a rabid dog locked onto it's victim. It's unshakable.

My Zoom sits in the corner feeling completely inferior now whilst I wait for my own Skydio 2 to arrive.
2020-5-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It was removed because Follow Me requires the device connected to the RC unit to have a properly working GPS receiver, and because there are so many issues with phones that do not work, it was a nightmare to fix.
2020-5-7
Use props
EZlikeSundayMorning
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-7 14:28
It was removed because Follow Me requires the device connected to the RC unit to have a properly working GPS receiver, and because there are so many issues with phones that do not work, it was a nightmare to fix.

Thanks for the reply. I bought this thinking it had "Follow me" because the older model had it. Active Track is cool, but I need something that can fly high away from obstructions and not lose me under tree cover. Oh well, still pretty cool. Perhaps the next model will have this.
2020-5-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TRiPWiRE Posted at 5-7 14:08
Personally, I found Active Track pretty disappointing. So many times it loses the target in clear, open areas. It gets stuck behind the most basic of objects and overall, provided a frustrating experience for me.

I knew I was dissatisfied with Active Track but recently, I got to try a Skydio 2 and realized just HOW disappointing Active Track is in comparison! The Skydio is like a rabid dog locked onto it's victim. It's unshakable.

Its interesting how different the two are,  the Mavic likes keep more distance I've noticed and the Skydio likes to be too close and have some extreme flight paths.
2020-5-8
Use props
EZlikeSundayMorning
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-8 01:15
Its interesting how different the two are,  the Mavic likes keep more distance I've noticed and the Skydio likes to be too close and have some extreme flight paths.

Where did you purchase your Skydio? It seems that they are on backorder on the dealer site.
2020-5-8
Use props
TRiPWiRE
lvl.2
Australia

EZlikeSundayMorning Posted at 5-8 02:26
Where did you purchase your Skydio? It seems that they are on backorder on the dealer site.

It's a pre-owned one via Ebay. Skydio haven't even made them available in my country via their store yet. They also aren't shipping due to COVID at the moment anyway. I'm not sure how long it'll be before they have more stock, and even less sure how long it'll be before they are officially available here.

There's a few on Ebay, so I took the plunge. It doesn't have the beacon with it so I'll order one of those from Skydio once they're up and running again.
2020-5-8
Use props
EZlikeSundayMorning
lvl.1
United States

TRiPWiRE Posted at 5-8 14:37
It's a pre-owned one via Ebay. Skydio haven't even made them available in my country via their store yet. They also aren't shipping due to COVID at the moment anyway. I'm not sure how long it'll be before they have more stock, and even less sure how long it'll be before they are officially available here.

There's a few on Ebay, so I took the plunge. It doesn't have the beacon with it so I'll order one of those from Skydio once they're up and running again.

Will the beacon give you enhanced tracking if the camera sight is lost?
2020-5-8
Use props
TRiPWiRE
lvl.2
Australia

EZlikeSundayMorning Posted at 5-8 14:49
Will the beacon give you enhanced tracking if the camera sight is lost?

Yep. It means it can track you from about 1 mile away via GPS tracking. It also has some basic controls that allow some manoeuvring via the beacon itself. It seems like a pretty necessary component for what I want out of the Skydio 2.
2020-5-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, Mavic 2 doesn't support Follow Me, it supports Active Track, no external tracking device is required, the drone can automatically identify up to 16 objects and uses different tracking strategies to track people, vehicles, and boats. While Follow Me depends on the GPS accuracy on the mobile device, the phone's signal may not cover the longer distance, therefore, it was not available on Mavic 2 series drones.
2020-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules