Both Air Unit antennas used for video?
4513 12 2020-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jdogg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hey all,

Im was just checking that both of the antenna on my air unit are working and to do that i set the power to 25mw. Moved the goggles to another room and removed one antenna from the air unit, then swapped to the other one.

When the antenna was in the left hand port it had full bitrate and signal, but with only the right antenna fitted it had the same signal as no antenna fitted. This doesnt seem normal to me?

Just wondering if someone could do this check or if dji could confirm this is normal or not?

thanks!

I dont have the transmitter to check if that is affected
2020-5-6
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

I'm not going to power the unit without the antennas mounted and I strongly suggest that nobody will follow your request. It is very dangerous for the unit as you risk to damage it.
I would only make that test with proper instruments and, now that you raised the question, I hope that someone equipped with an antenna power meter will clarify this.
2020-5-6
Use props
Jdogg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yeah sorry i don't agree, if it was dangerous to the unit, they would say so in the long list of warnings.

But thanks anyway
2020-5-6
Use props
Jdogg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Not to mention DJI themselves have posted here it it poses no danger to the unit.
2020-5-6
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

Jdogg Posted at 5-6 03:48
Yeah sorry i don't agree, if it was dangerous to the unit, they would say so in the long list of warnings.

But thanks anyway

To not power on a VTX without antennas is something that you learn as soon as you step in the FPV world, I don't need DJI to tell me things like these. Is a precaution that I would use anyway. But, hey, you can do what you want with your stuff. Cheers
2020-5-6
Use props
Jdogg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Giammi Posted at 5-6 07:30
To not power on a VTX without antennas is something that you learn as soon as you step in the FPV world, I don't need DJI to tell me things like these. Is a precaution that I would use anyway. But, hey, you can do what you want with your stuff. Cheers

With respect, if you wont help then please leave the thread.

You cant compare this system to your old analogue junk, sorry
2020-5-6
Use props
Jdogg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Got a reply from DJi, putting it here in case anyone else has the issue or query

"Thanks for your waiting. I confirmed with our engineer about your case. If you enable the automatic power limit option, 25 mw is all transmitted by a single antenna, only if automatic power limit is disabled or you arm it, will double antennas be used for full power. If the customer did not arm it, or leave it on the ground, automatic power limit is enabled, it is likely to be the case as yours, this logic is to prevent overheating generated on air unit if leave it for a long time without arming it, the equivalent of protection for it."

I verified this by taking off the antenna that worked and toggled power limit off which activated the second antenna and cleared up the picture instantly. I'm relieved!

Thanks to Maggy Yang for helping me out!
2020-5-8
Use props
Fritz Wlan
lvl.2

Germany

I crashed once and the right antenna of the air unit came a tiny bit loose. It took me 3 flights before I went a further distance and noticed an issue with the video quality. So I flew about a total of about 20 minutes on 1200mW with only the left antenna and the air unit took no damage.

I guess you can not compare an analog VTX to the air unit in this matter.
2020-5-8
Use props
Jdogg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Indeed Fritz
2020-5-8
Use props
Kreeze
lvl.4

United States

Jdogg Posted at 5-6 07:47
With respect, if you wont help then please leave the thread.

You cant compare this system to your old analogue junk, sorry

That was not with respect, that was just completely rude. He is only trying to help you like the rest of us on this forum!
2020-5-8
Use props
Jdogg
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Spreading misinformation is not helping, its the opposite

DJI themselves say this poses no harm to the unit, so has another user.

I was not rude, but unsubstantiated rubbish from people who don't understand the new technology is not helpful, especially as he literally asks other not to help me,. Wind your neck in
2020-5-8
Use props
fans606264b4
New

United States

Fritz Wlan Posted at 5-8 01:37
I crashed once and the right antenna of the air unit came a tiny bit loose. It took me 3 flights before I went a further distance and noticed an issue with the video quality. So I flew about a total of about 20 minutes on 1200mW with only the left antenna and the air unit took no damage.

I guess you can not compare an analog VTX to the air unit in this matter.

I’ve a build which the elbows were difficult to get seated and I’m worried they’ll come loose. I’ve printed TPU mounts which press against them but am worried in a crash they may come undone. This is my first quad and I’ve crashes a few times so far and have low signal after about 200-300 yards ... how far were you to tell you had an antenna issue?
2020-7-23
Use props
Fritz Wlan
lvl.2

Germany

The antennas click clearly when in place. If they are loose they fall out. When you push them in and they click you do not need to worry. Signal strength and loss differ due to the surrounding. With the latest firmware I often get low signal warning despite having a clear signal. I personally never look at the bars, when the picture breaks up I turn around or push through (behind the building).
To check you need something like a home field, a clear rural area nearby with unobstructed view where you can cruise along an empty road and check if your traveling distance got worse.

In that particular situation I was flying in a wooded area with many hills. So it took me a while to realise that the distance went down from about 1,5km to like 800m.
2020-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules