New Mavic Mini Safety Notification – “Motor Speed Error”
69561 318 2020-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hackfaq\
New
Russia

NeuTronas Posted at 5-9 03:27
So, I've refreshed my firmware update, recalibrated everything. And the error disappeared. Well, that's a fix for now until DJI releases another update, I guess.

which version of firmware did you installed?
2020-5-9
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

m80116 Posted at 5-7 20:08
Thank You DJI support... personally I wouldn't rely on users to check if the propellers are bent or even (wondering what's intended) straighten them out, because I've seen this already happening when the users identify propellers as good even when they are not and insist that the firmware is faulty up to the point of downgrading the next previous version that didn't have the safety motor speed control.

The best advice I could personally give to those that have the "Motor speed error" is to just replace the propellers and keep replacing them for every propeller that is being flagged by software.

I have Mini's rear propellers at this different height.1 hour fly with the original propellers.No error messages. Fly well.Does the left side of the normal position?  I have propellers stored as dji recommends. Seen from the rear the profile of the left propeller had lost its shape Sorry bad english google translate.
2020-5-9
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

If you feel the rear left prop set has lost its shape unmount the blades and compare them against a new set. It may be degraded but not enough to trigger the error.
2020-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ralle Posted at 5-9 12:57
I have Mini's rear propellers at this different height.1 hour fly with the original propellers.No error messages. Fly well.Does the left side of the normal position?  I have propellers stored as dji recommends. Seen from the rear the profile of the left propeller had lost its shape Sorry bad english google translate.[view_image]

Well looking at the picture it’s not the props that are lower, it’s the arm that looks lower left as you look from here. Could be photo .
2020-5-9
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Finland

hallmark007 Posted at 5-9 13:54
Well looking at the picture it’s not the props that are lower, it’s the arm that looks lower left as you look from here. Could be photo .

I compared the propeller,  the back has lost its shape.Here are the new propellers
2020-5-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Ralle Posted at 5-9 12:57
I have Mini's rear propellers at this different height.1 hour fly with the original propellers.No error messages. Fly well.Does the left side of the normal position?  I have propellers stored as dji recommends. Seen from the rear the profile of the left propeller had lost its shape Sorry bad english google translate.[view_image]

Prop on left looks flattened compared to Prop on right.  Right blade tip appears to curl upward.
2020-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ralle Posted at 5-9 14:59
I compared the propeller,  the back has lost its shape.Here are the new propellers[view_image]

Yeah that picture certainly looks better, really to judge the props you need to have in your hand, I’ve seen many pictures but it’s hard to determine from photographs, you should be the ultimate judge, but yes these look ok from here to me.
2020-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I think post 47 needs to be ignored, first there is absolutely no proof of what poster is touting, it’s something he made up on another thread, he claims props need to be X-rayed then put through an ultrasonic, he has also claimed on this thread that props are melting, crazy ideas and notions. And all of this from someone who doesn’t and never has owned a Mavic mini , he has no clue what a mini prop feel like the make up of it, because he doesn’t own one. So to understand something, he also tried to create hysteria with Mavic Air users for almost 18 months with spurious claims about something and nothing. Again he never owned a Mavic air. All the time realizing he’s causing unnecessary fear for new users. They’re no proof of invisibly damaged props, no props on mini have melted or will ever melt. And just to be clear there have been no problems with any uncontrolled descents or dropouts since last FW update. He’s just trolling as he has done on Air forum Mavic 2 forum, his drone knowledge is extremely limited, but his capacity to cause hysteria is very high .
2020-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hackfaq\ Posted at 5-9 11:54
Hello, I have error ESC 30128, it's like motor speed problem, how to clear which one should I replace. I checked all propellers, and they looks same, not bended

You have two options. Refresh FW. .500 on dji assistant or change left rear prop, many if not most people have just updated FW, first checking prop as you have done to make certain there is no damage.
2020-5-9
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Anyway... when somebody says they've done something I must believe they've done the right thing, but truthfully I don't understand why people are so reluctant to unmount the propellers and compare them like I did and snap pictures... despite not having any problem.

Also to be noted the pictures (and video) I took and posted onto this forum are made for public consumption as the props were laid down over a flat surface inside a matte box, and I angled the camera to capture them all (and couldn't lower it any further).

All it's really needed is to pin them down with fingers from the centre hole and compare with new blades, aligning the eye absolutely in line with surface one is pinning the blades against... it's really that easy and allows even an untrained eye to detect any anomaly or variance in the overall shape.
2020-5-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

m80116 Posted at 5-9 17:18
Anyway... when somebody says they've done something I must believe they've done the right thing, but truthfully I don't understand why people are so reluctant to unmount the propellers and compare them like I did and snap pictures... despite not having any problem.

Also to be noted the pictures (and video) I took and posted onto this forum are made for public consumption as the props were laid down over a flat surface inside a matte box, and I angled the camera to capture them all (and couldn't lower it any further).

Have you tried any load / no-load deflection testing of blades, such as following?

Blade scrwed to a solid surface similar to it being mounted on spindle, except blade is inverted.
Suspend small weight at tip of blade with thread or lite fishing line, to simulate thrust during flight.
Measure deflection at tip of blade to solid surface.  Note it.
Take weight off tip of blade.
Measure height of blade tip above solid surface.  Note it.
Use two measurements to derive amount of deflection.  Note it.

Repeat above for bad blades and known good blades of same rotation (CCW & CW).

Compare noted measurements and derived deflection of bad blades against good blades.
2020-5-9
Use props
Junior SBC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 476483 ft
Brazil

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-8 22:10
Suggest re-reading the warning.  Warning can occur during flight, thus it is not a pre-flight only feature.

Sorry, there was an error in the translation (Portuguese-English) which said that if the message appears before the drone on pre flight Okay, the big problem is that it appears during the flight, and of course, the lack of sustainability will make the drone go down wherever whatever it is.

2020-5-9
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-9 17:40
Have you tried any load / no-load deflection testing of blades, such as following?

Blade scrwed to a solid surface similar to it being mounted on spindle, except blade is inverted.

Nope. But since being OCD should I ever get the dreaded motor speed error AND not finding any evidence of flattened props AND despite all this still not finding a reason I would surely load test the prop blades.

But I know it's just me... I don't pretend non paranoid users to go that far.
2020-5-9
Use props
Ian Lee Clavis
lvl.1

China

OK I changed the left rear props and still getting the error message. I have tried as many have suggested to refresh the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 the firmware downloads fine, but just freezes during the transmission process. I have re formatted the card and reinstalled the software but no luck. Everything was fine before the update. I just want to throw this thing out the window.
2020-5-9
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Finland

m80116 Posted at 5-9 17:18

Also to be noted the pictures (and video) I took and posted onto this forum are made for public consumption as the props were laid down over a flat surface inside a matte box, and I angled the camera to capture them all (and couldn't lower it any further).

Here's the new and old propeller,Flyed for 2 hours Without an error message.DJI Mavic Mini Fly More combination Combo.Propellers stored, dji according to instructions.
2020-5-10
Use props
Valpen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13613556 ft
Norway

What is also unfortunate about this is that the propeller with screw is not free, so just trying cost a part.
2020-5-10
Use props
djiuser_vXaZFjXftu5V
lvl.1
Flight distance : 283999 ft
Portugal

Hi all,

I made the update to the firmware v500 and started giving an error "Motor Speed ​​Error" in the rear left ... I restarted the drone and after a few minutes gave the same error in the right rear ... I changed all the propellers and the continuous error of this one time it gave error in 3 engines, they started to beep and to make small movements ... I am a novice with drones, but in my opinion the problem is not in the propellers or in the engines, but in software (firmware), I think it is detecting small oscillations in the engines and this is causing this problem. Propellers may have influence but it is not the cause.
I think DJI should make a quick decision because one day they will have the facilities full of drones to repair ... because I think the next step I will take is to send the drone for repair so they can find the solution. It was not a bad use, I only have the drone for 2 weeks and with very few flights without an accident. I think DJI should recommend downgrading the firmware to fix the problem with the new firmware.
After all, Mavic is still an Expensive toy.
2020-5-10
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Ian Lee Clavis Posted at 5-9 19:26
OK I changed the left rear props and still getting the error message. I have tried as many have suggested to refresh the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 the firmware downloads fine, but just freezes during the transmission process. I have re formatted the card and reinstalled the software but no luck. Everything was fine before the update. I just want to throw this thing out the window.

Try a different PC machine or USB Hub.

Ralle: one blade seems to differ from the other but it's probably an optical effect since one is (appears to be) held a little bit at an angle, and the X marked (red) if I assumed correctly is the old one.

The marked red one doesn't seem flattened but somehow the tip is laying too flat with the table, meanwhile all my props (new and used) have the bottom wing tip more upwardly lifted from flat.

Anyway... I am glad if you've finally found a solution.
2020-5-10
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Finland

m80116 Posted at 5-10 03:54
Try a different PC machine or USB Hub.

Ralle: one blade seems to differ from the other but it's probably an optical effect since one is (appears to be) held a little bit at an angle, and the X marked (red) if I assumed correctly is the old one.

There is no optical effect. The propeller is as flat as shown.Fly on that flat propeller without warnings.
2020-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ralle Posted at 5-10 01:02
Here's the new and old propeller,Flyed for 2 hours Without an error message.DJI Mavic Mini Fly More combination Combo.Propellers stored, dji according to instructions.[view_image]

Well it’s pretty visible.
2020-5-10
Use props
Tolga
New

France

djiuser_vXaZFjXftu5V Posted at 5-10 03:48
Hi all,

I made the update to the firmware v500 and started giving an error "Motor Speed ​​Error" in the rear left ... I restarted the drone and after a few minutes gave the same error in the right rear ... I changed all the propellers and the continuous error of this one time it gave error in 3 engines, they started to beep and to make small movements ... I am a novice with drones, but in my opinion the problem is not in the propellers or in the engines, but in software (firmware), I think it is detecting small oscillations in the engines and this is causing this problem. Propellers may have influence but it is not the cause.

Hi,

As many users here, I have the same issue : "motor speed error" on the left rear of my mavic mini. This started to appear after the update of the firmware.
Even though I have the device for only 3 weeks and only used it occasionally without any accident, I decided to replace the propellers as requested.
Yet, the warning keeps coming. And no apparent sign of dysfunctionning..

For me, the problem clearly comes from the software. It does not seem mecanical. Hopefully Dji will correct this bug soon.
2020-5-10
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Finland

hallmark007 Posted at 5-10 04:30
Well it’s pretty visible.

Yes, and still fly well
2020-5-10
Use props
zeb_
lvl.3
Germany

djiuser_vXaZFjXftu5V Posted at 5-10 03:48
Hi all,

I made the update to the firmware v500 and started giving an error "Motor Speed ​​Error" in the rear left ... I restarted the drone and after a few minutes gave the same error in the right rear ... I changed all the propellers and the continuous error of this one time it gave error in 3 engines, they started to beep and to make small movements ... I am a novice with drones, but in my opinion the problem is not in the propellers or in the engines, but in software (firmware), I think it is detecting small oscillations in the engines and this is causing this problem. Propellers may have influence but it is not the cause.
So that settles the debate that the error does not only concern the rear left motor. Ideally you could post your flight log files .DAT after every error.
2020-5-10
Use props
krugging
lvl.1
Portugal

it is a little silly observation, but I was having the error "motor speed error" and before flying I turned on the option "payload mode" I lifted the drone, took a short walk around the garden and went back to land without turning off the drone. I turned off the "payload mode" option and started flying without a problem and the "motor speed error" error did not appear ...

I returned to land the drone and restarted the drone again with the payload option off ... I raised the drone and returned the error ...

Is it silly of mine or could the payload mode be interfering with the error?

Has anyone tried this way? If someone can try and leave feedback, I would be grateful that this problem is turning my head around
2020-5-10
Use props
fuzillade
New
United States

First time flying a brand new DJI Mavic Mini, and I get this error on my screen...is this a scheme to sell more props??
I thought DJI products should come with better quality than this...quite disappointing.

Also, when I land, I get a sound from the right rear motor, and it twitches on the ground. I have to turn off the quad to stop it.
Anybody experience this after the latest update?

It flew just fine, but I only hovered it for 2 minutes and landed it because the warnings.

Hope there is a fix...not a good impression for my first DJI...been flying quads for years now.
2020-5-11
Use props
djiuser_5hoSuY0HZd5R
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2043392 ft
Australia

Hi, I went and bought a tachometer for checking model aircraft propeller speeds from a hobby shop.
I launched the mini and while in a hover, checked each of the propeller speeds on each motor.
I found that the rear left was running faster than the other motors, the other three motors were within 50 rpm of each other.

I landed and powered down, then checked the rear left props.
There was definitely distortion of the pitch of the blades to flatter than the others.
I then “adjusted” the blades by gently bending them back to match a new blade, then retested in hover flight again, adjusting until speed were close to the other motors.
Flying more stable and quieter. Note that I never had a error message for the motors.

Problem is, what is the correct rpm range for Mavic Mini Motors at hover?
I know there are variables that affect motors speeds, eg. altitude, temperature, payloads, wind, etc.
Does DJI have a table/graph for reference based on a stock standard MM?

2020-5-11
Use props
zeb_
lvl.3
Germany

djiuser_5hoSuY0HZd5R Posted at 5-11 17:10
Hi, I went and bought a tachometer for checking model aircraft propeller speeds from a hobby shop.
I launched the mini and while in a hover, checked each of the propeller speeds on each motor.
I found that the rear left was running faster than the other motors, the other three motors were within 50 rpm of each other.

No official specs, but you should refer to the "[Guide] How to check for prop wear" thread at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=214023. The log file allow graphing of rpm values during flight. Looking at grahamjohnson10's graphs, he got around 16,000 rpm when LBack was triggering the error, and then around 14,000 after changing the prop for new.
2020-5-11
Use props
zeb_
lvl.3
Germany

fuzillade Posted at 5-11 14:17
First time flying a brand new DJI Mavic Mini, and I get this error on my screen...is this a scheme to sell more props??
I thought DJI products should come with better quality than this...quite disappointing.

Hi, are you positive it was the right rear motor that was beeping? You could also check https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=214023 and report your rpm values from the log file.
2020-5-11
Use props
fuzillade
New
United States

zeb_ Posted at 5-11 22:09
Hi, are you positive it was the right rear motor that was beeping? You could also check https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=214023 and report your rpm values from the log file.

Yeah, it was the rear right after the maiden hover test. Twice I went up and when I landed, rear right esc was beeping.

Although, when I just tried it again, it was the rear left, like everyone else. I will try tweaking the props to see if it makes a difference.
2020-5-12
Use props
zeb_
lvl.3
Germany

fuzillade Posted at 5-12 04:42
Yeah, it was the rear right after the maiden hover test. Twice I went up and when I landed, rear right esc was beeping.

Although, when I just tried it again, it was the rear left, like everyone else. I will try tweaking the props to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks. Your other option is to reflash using DJI Assistant 2 software. Some theories say that flashing via the phone mayblead to incomplete updates.
2020-5-12
Use props
rmanke
lvl.1
Flight distance : 122359 ft
Canada

Im having the same problems.  After replacing the props on the identified arm, I am still getting the same error.
2020-5-13
Use props
djiuser_5hoSuY0HZd5R
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2043392 ft
Australia

zeb_ Posted at 5-11 22:08
No official specs, but you should refer to the "[Guide] How to check for prop wear" thread at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=214023. The log file allow graphing of rpm values during flight. Looking at grahamjohnson10's graphs, he got around 16,000 rpm when LBack was triggering the error, and then around 14,000 after changing the prop for new.

Hi, thank you for the link, very informative posts.
2020-5-13
Use props
Roger S McNorton
lvl.1
Flight distance : 259528 ft
United States

Hi, everyone, I received this motor error today, and then while flying, my device just dropped out of the sky. I never had this issue before, that firmware update, never had any problems.  Now, I received this error message every time I fly. Regardless, if I change the propellers or not.
2020-5-14
Use props
krugging
lvl.1
Portugal

I have been talking to DJI support and after several attempts to change the propellers, refresh firmware, etc ... the solution was to send the drone to DJI for support ... it was still under warranty ... the problem I’m going to be without the drone for a few weeks, but then I hope it will be in good condition.
2020-5-14
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Roger S McNorton Posted at 5-14 02:58
Hi, everyone, I received this motor error today, and then while flying, my device just dropped out of the sky. I never had this issue before, that firmware update, never had any problems.  Now, I received this error message every time I fly. Regardless, if I change the propellers or not.

Hello Roger, could you start a new thread about your drop?

A few of us could review your flight log to give you a deep dive on what happened, as a bonus if you still happen to have the .Dat file from that flight we could provide further information as to the cause.

As far as still receiving the error, if you could see page 5 of this thread How to Read Dat's Do a 2 minute hover test and provide the Dat file for review. There's a lot of conversation going on about this topic and your information is invaluable to us.
2020-5-15
Use props
djiuser_3YygnbC2ffOm
New
Flight distance : 21913 ft
United States

First time, short time.  Like many others I'm getting the same error on the left rear.  I changed the props and the error is still there.  I've only had the drone 2 weeks now.
2020-5-15
Use props
Mountaindrone-Dronefocus
First Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

thank you for this notice,
probably explain some problems with my mini
2020-5-15
Use props
siowxsen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1952359 ft
Malaysia

Thank you DJI for the error explanation & solution. Hope DJI can provide all the error code reference list with description, cause & solution in future.  Is nice is have those info, at least DJI pilot/users can prevent from the mistake.  Thanks!
2020-5-16
Use props
zeb_
lvl.3
Germany

Can you please provide more substance to your advice on checking props, notably this part: 'If the propellers are slightly misshapen, can straighten them out'. What does misshappen mean in this context (I have props that look slightly flatter, but work perfectly)? upward pitch? left to right shape? front to back shape? Which shape is good enough? What are the tolerances? Also, what is straighten them out? With which tool? Without a precise gabarit and tolerances this advice is extremely vague, if not hazardous.
2020-5-18
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

the latest firmware is a wreck , I do not plan to change any helix since they are in perfect condition,
better go back to a previous version where there were no problems
2020-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules