are cameras interchangeable
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8c2a62d8
lvl.1

United States

so i have a phantom 3 4K and a phantom 3 advanced. i also picked up a remote that would work with the P3 advanced that has been modified. so i was thinking about keeping the P3 advanced. but i like the idea of having the 4K camera. are the cameras interchangable? if it is possible, is it not worth the trouble?

2020-5-8
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

not sure about this, i think this is not possible
2020-5-8
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Phantom 3 SE and Phantom 3 4k ..... maybe the same cameras but not Phantom 3 advance
2020-5-8
Use props
ebxgsxr
lvl.1

United States

i do understand that they are not the same cameras since the advanced is only a 2.5k. but is it possible to swap the camera so the advanced would have the 4k camera on it.
2020-5-8
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fans8c2a,

Yes, as ebxgsxr noted, the 4K camera for the Phantom 3 4K can be mounted on the P3 Advanced to convert the P3 Advanced into a P3 Pro.  The P3 4K is a 4K camera on a Phantom body using WIFI as a transmission medium.  It is the only Phantom that does not display Live View in 720p.  I believe it uses 480p for Live View because of the WIFI.

As ebxgsxr noted, the P3 Advanced uses a camera with 2.7K as the highest resolution.  The rest of the platform and remote controller is identical to the P3 Pro.  This has been discussed previously on the Forum but DJI recommends that the conversion be made by DJI Support.  Because of the legacy nature of these products and if you are a handy DIYer, making the conversion yourself is something worth considering.

If the modification to the P3 Advanced controller is to replace the USB module with the HDMI Module, there should still be no problem.  When all the conversions are complete, you will have a P3 Pro with an HDMI module - just like mine!

Hope this helps!

Be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-11
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ebxgsxr Posted at 5-8 10:18
i do understand that they are not the same cameras since the advanced is only a 2.5k. but is it possible to swap the camera so the advanced would have the 4k camera on it.

Aloha ebxgsxr,

Please see Post #5.

Be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-11
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JetSam Posted at 5-8 09:52
Phantom 3 SE and Phantom 3 4k ..... maybe the same cameras but not Phantom 3 advance

Aloha Frank,

Please see Post #5.

Be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-11
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Cetacean Posted at 5-11 01:24
Aloha Frank,

Please see Post #5.

I didnt Know this mate !!!
2020-5-11
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Uuum Cetacean just for clarity would the gimbal assembly of the 4K need to be moved as well as the camera?  
I ask because the circuit board at the top of a P3 Pro gimbal differs from that of the P3 Adv, externally the former has a cooling fan the latter does not. I had a cameraless Pro and a dead ESC Adv and moved the ADV 's camera and gimball to the Pro's body and it worked and works just fine, there may have been a FW change involved but it went without incident hence my vague recollection.
2020-5-11
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Sean-newbie Posted at 5-11 03:31
Uuum Cetacean just for clarity would the gimbal assembly of the 4K need to be moved as well as the camera?  
I ask because the circuit board at the top of a P3 Pro gimbal differs from that of the P3 Adv, externally the former has a cooling fan the latter does not. I had a cameraless Pro and a dead ESC Adv and moved the ADV 's camera and gimball to the Pro's body and it worked and works just fine, there may have been a FW change involved but it went without incident hence my vague recollection.

Aloha Sean,

So it sounds like you did the downgrade.  Yes, I would think the entire assemble needed to be swapped out.  There is a lot of common technology in the P3 Series.

Be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-11
Use props
ebxgsxr
lvl.1

United States

hmm, very weird. i tried swapping cameras. everything went well. very easy to do. but after i got everything swapped, neither camera worked on both of the quadcopters. it didn't make any sense. once i put everything back the way they originally came, everything was working again.
2020-5-14
Use props
ebxgsxr
lvl.1

United States

has anyone ever successfully swapped cameras?
2020-5-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ebxgsxr Posted at 5-14 20:06
hmm, very weird. i tried swapping cameras. everything went well. very easy to do. but after i got everything swapped, neither camera worked on both of the quadcopters. it didn't make any sense. once i put everything back the way they originally came, everything was working again.

I think you have to upload the correct firmware to the aircraft, otherwise the camera swap will not work.
2020-5-20
Use props
bdholsin
lvl.1

United States

Following this as a newbie. I'm trying to find a camera for the Phantom 3 pro that my friend just gave me. History: he crashed it and the camera is toast. He said if I can get it flying, I'm welcome to it. Soooo, here I am searching for a Phantom 3 pro camera and gimble that'll work and not break the bank. What I've seen is replacements in the $300 range. I'm not prepared to drop that kind of cash for this. For $300 I may as well throw in a little more and buy a new drone. That's the thought process I have right now. Am I crazy?
2020-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules