6321 43 2020-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

A good set up for anyone looking to use a tablet device for flying.

2020-5-8
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like a great option.
2020-5-8
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

Cool...I have an iPad Pro and sometimes just put it on it's Otter Box case (no adapter fits this) to fly my Spark with.  Now that I see I'll have to try and get the official Apple lightning to USBC cable to give it a run.  Thanks!  Saved me some headaches.  
2020-5-8
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks great.
2020-5-9
Use props
vitaly258
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311375 ft
United Kingdom

here is much cheaper solution pgytech
2020-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

vitaly258 Posted at 5-9 12:59

Good job,probably not as well built as the PP, but pgytech make good stuff and great price, nice find.
2020-5-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is the one I use. So far, so good. It came with a neck strap also that attaches in a hole for it in the base. The strap has come in very handy, but probably won't be useful on a MA2 remote.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 3_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as the cable selection, the person in the OP's video may not know about these cables. But the cable must be configured with the HOST end at the controller. Most OTG cables made specifically for these drones will work while many other generic ones will not. They are designed with a component inside that dictates which end is to be the host. I did have to search around a bit to find a compatible longer cable for my setup. It does have the same micro USB-B connectors at each end......but it does not work unless I plug  the end marked as HOST into the controller.... not the other way around. In the video it sorta looks like the lightening end has a marking and perhaps that indicates it as the host end. If that is the case It explains why it does not work in this setup.

2020-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 5-9 18:26
This is the one I use. So far, so good. It came with a neck strap also that attaches in a hole for it in the base. The strap has come in very handy, but probably won't be useful on a MA2 remote.

Good job.......
2020-5-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the Skyreat version and paid about £10,  works great with the iPad Pro.
2020-5-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice find!
2020-5-12
Use props
ghutch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 187375 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-9 18:26
This is the one I use. So far, so good. It came with a neck strap also that attaches in a hole for it in the base. The strap has come in very handy, but probably won't be useful on a MA2 remote.

Looks like the lanyard hole will covered up and unusable in the MA2, same as the Polar Pro...
2020-5-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ghutch Posted at 5-12 16:08
Looks like the lanyard hole will covered up and unusable in the MA2, same as the Polar Pro...

Yes it will be covered; that's what I mean by unuseful. But trust me, I will come up with some solution to add the strap ;-)

Perhaps I could drill two holes, one at each inside corner of the adapter and change the strap to have two hooks instead of one. I always thought that just one hook let it hang too far down anyway,

2020-5-12
Use props
ghutch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 187375 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-12 17:42
Yes it will be covered; that's what I mean by unuseful. But trust me, I will come up with some solution to add the strap ;-)

Perhaps I could drill two holes, one at each inside corner of the adapter and change the strap to have two hooks instead of one. I always thought that just one hook let it hang too far down anyway,

It doesn't look like there's anyplace to drill on the base, it would still be covered up.  That one looks like the one from PGY, about the same price too.  Looks like it would be easy to hook one up to the Polar Pro.  And then the MavMount has an option for one but they're both more expensive...
2020-5-13
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

vitaly258 Posted at 5-9 12:59

Thanks, interesting product!
2020-5-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I received my MA2 today and immediately began finding a way to mount my Samsung tablet. I used the same adapter that I was using for the Mini remote, with two small holes added and a small bolt that holds the tablet adapter plate to the slide bars on the MA2 remote. The bolt prevents the plate from pulling out of the holder. In the location for the holes shown used in the photo, the tablet and remote are balanced on the neck strap. I moved the two holes slightly farther back (as seen in the photo) on the second try to get the best balance and clearance for the controls. The tablet is tilted for now until I can find a longer cable.

TabA on MA2 remote adapter.jpg
2020-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 5-15 12:30
I received my MA2 today and immediately began finding a way to mount my Samsung tablet. I used the same adapter that I was using for the Mini remote, with two small holes added and a small bolt that holds the tablet adapter plate to the slide bars on the MA2 remote. The bolt prevents the plate from pulling out of the holder. In the location for the holes shown used in the photo, the tablet and remote are balanced on the neck strap. I moved the two holes slightly farther back (as seen in the photo) on the second try to get the best balance and clearance for the controls. The tablet is tilted for now until I can find a longer cable.[Image]

Good job neat fit. If you just wear one shoe that will look straight HeHe
2020-5-15
Use props
Silver31581
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2374357 ft
United States

I received my MA2 today and immediately began finding a way to mount my Samsung tablet. I used the same adapter that I was using for the Mini remote, with two small holes added and a small bolt that holds the tablet adapter plate to the slide bars on the MA2 remote. The bolt prevents the plate from pulling out of the holder. In the location for the holes shown used in the photo, the tablet and remote are balanced on the neck strap. I moved the two holes slightly farther back (as seen in the photo) on the second try to get the best balance and clearance for the controls. The tablet is tilted for now until I can find a longer cable.

I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S6 tablet with my Mavic Mini.  For the MA2, I found this 8.6" cable on Amazon.  That length worked perfectly on the MM.
I really like your bolt idea!  Everything came apart today while I was flying the MA2.  Your idea should solve that problem!  Thanks
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07THFJ1J5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2020-5-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-15 12:34
Good job neat fit. If you just wear one shoe that will look straight HeHe

You bet. Wife says that I have two left feet anyway ;-)
2020-5-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Silver31581 Posted at 5-15 18:24
I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S6 tablet with my Mavic Mini.  For the MA2, I found this 8.6" cable on Amazon.  That length worked perfectly on the MM.
I really like your bolt idea!  Everything came apart today while I was flying the MA2.  Your idea should solve that problem!  Thanks
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07THFJ1J5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That cable won't work for me. I need a micro USB-B connector on the tablet end. I have this one on order now:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After studying this a bit, I am not sure this cable will work. It uses the micro USB ports on the other controllers which are the hosts. But the MA2 has a USB-C port. So physically the cable I ordered will fit but it may not function since it is meant to be used with the micro USB controller as host. Oh well... I will find out this Sunday when it arrives, stay tuned.

2020-5-15
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221906 ft
United States

I have something for ya!  Havnt tried it yet. But will very soon.. Its only 5 dollars. If it works then great! If not, its only 5 dollars.  : )  

2020-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mr. Motta Posted at 5-15 22:08
I have something for ya!  Havnt tried it yet. But will very soon.. Its only 5 dollars. If it works then great! If not, its only 5 dollars.  : )  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jZFITk9og

Great job, best idea I’ve seen yet. No substitute for thinking.
2020-5-16
Use props
Silver31581
lvl.2
United States

I received my MA2 today and immediately began finding a way to mount my Samsung tablet. I used the same adapter that I was using for the Mini remote, with two small holes added and a small bolt that holds the tablet adapter plate to the slide bars on the MA2 remote. The bolt prevents the plate from pulling out of the holder. In the location for the holes shown used in the photo, the tablet and remote are balanced on the neck strap. I moved the two holes slightly farther back (as seen in the photo) on the second try to get the best balance and clearance for the controls. The tablet is tilted for now until I can find a longer cable.

I used your bolt idea to secure my tablet mount to the MA2  controller. It's working quite well.

When I was flying today, i realized that the pressure the controller uses to hold a phone isn't really sufficient to hold the relatively small mount with the weight of the mount and tablet.   The pressure is minimal at the width of my mount.  Do you have any ideas on any way to increase that pressure?
2020-5-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Silver31581 Posted at 5-16 19:59
I used your bolt idea to secure my tablet mount to the MA2  controller. It's working quite well.

When I was flying today, i realized that the pressure the controller uses to hold a phone isn't really sufficient to hold the relatively small mount with the weight of the mount and tablet.   The pressure is minimal at the width of my mount.  Do you have any ideas on any way to increase that pressure?

That is a perfect question especially for a huge tab like yours. I took my adapter apart and inserted a spacer ahead of the spring(s) to increase the holding force. Works perfect.

Wait....are you talking about the clamp for the  mount or the clamp in the mount to hold the tablet? I am confused. The  bolt should hold the adpater to the controller firmly.

increase spring tension.jpg
2020-5-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Perhaps you are not tightening the bolt enough to lock it to the slide rails on the controller? I used plastic washers and rubber cushions and the mount will raise up with a lot of effort but not move otherwise
2020-5-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have something for ya!  Havnt tried it yet. But will very soon.. Its only 5 dollars. If it works then great! If not, its only 5 dollars.  : )  

I like it even though it leaves no way to use a neck strap. I get really tired while holding up a tab for very long. Instead of using the self adhesive stuff., I would just use epoxy (or tape) to fasten the two parts together. I don't see a reason for the adhesive strips in this case. And no way to adjust the angle but.....Good idea.
2020-5-16
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-16 20:43
I like it even though it leaves no way to use a neck strap. I get really tired while holding up a tab for very long. Instead of using the self adhesive stuff., I would just use epoxy (or tape) to fasten the two parts together. I don't see a reason for Velcro in this case. And no way to adjust the angle but.....Good idea.

I tried it. Works perfectly. I have a small 8 inch Nexus tablet. I see your point though. Cant complain for something less than 4 bucks.
2020-5-16
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-16 01:10
Great job, best idea I’ve seen yet. No substitute for thinking.

I did it today. Works perfect. (kinda) I have an old Nexus 7 Tablet.  Not Compatible. Sucks...
2020-5-16
Use props
Dadaist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 580161 ft
Germany

Well, I created that "do-it-yourself"-Solution, and yesterday I made a range test between iPhone SE 2020 and iPad Mini 2019;
in a clear sight of view, no range differences where notable!

Maybe that is different in urban areas or without direct sight (when reflection matters), I still have to test these scenarios.

2020-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dadaist Posted at 5-17 03:04
Well, I created that "do-it-yourself"-Solution, and yesterday I made a range test between iPhone SE 2020 and iPad Mini 2019;

Great job really neat fit. Love the simplicity of it.
2020-5-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dadaist Posted at 5-17 03:04

Can you describe the range tests? Did you have the antenna pointed at the drone all the time? How far away?
2020-5-17
Use props
Silver31581
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-16 20:19
That is a perfect question especially for a huge tab like yours. I took my adapter apart and inserted a spacer ahead of the spring(s) to increase the holding force. Works perfect.

I'm really looking forward to fixing this problem but I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you did...  Do you have any pictures?  Thanks!
OOPS!  I forgot to refresh my browser.  I just saw your pictures and explanation.  Thank you again!

2020-5-17
Use props
rodhansenmsn.c
lvl.3
United States

I have something for ya!  Havnt tried it yet. But will very soon.. Its only 5 dollars. If it works then great! If not, its only 5 dollars.  : )  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jZFITk9og

search on VELCRO Brand HANGables Permanent Adhesive Hooks at Amazon
2020-5-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-15 18:43
That cable won't work for me. I need a micro USB-B connector on the tablet end. I have this one on order now:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Follow-up on the cable I ordered. It does NOT work. It is probably configured to make the tablet end the host but I am not sure just yet. I will investigate further to determine the difference between it and the one supplied by DJI.
2020-5-17
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
United States

rodhansenmsn.c Posted at 5-17 18:38
search on VELCRO Brand HANGables Permanent Adhesive Hooks at Amazon

Doesnt really matter for now. Both of my tables are incompatible. Really dont want to use my phone.
2020-5-17
Use props
rodhansenmsn.c
lvl.3
United States

Mr. Motta Posted at 5-17 20:26
Doesnt really matter for now. Both of my tables are incompatible. Really dont want to use my phone.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E works great with DJI Fly App
2020-5-18
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
United States

rodhansenmsn.c Posted at 5-18 07:19
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E works great with DJI Fly App

Thanks. But I am looking for something cheaper. It would be just for flying.
2020-5-18
Use props
Hotrod in Daytona
lvl.3
United States

Mr. Motta Posted at 5-18 17:08
Thanks. But I am looking for something cheaper. It would be just for flying.

The downside to cheaper is cheaper screens that you can't see in the sunlight.  It's really about the nits you can get out of the screen so you can see in bright conditions.  The 5SE with its AMOLED screen works great in the sunshine in FL.
2020-5-18
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
United States

Hotrod in Daytona Posted at 5-18 17:18
The downside to cheaper is cheaper screens that you can't see in the sunlight.  It's really about the nits you can get out of the screen so you can see in bright conditions.  The 5SE with its AMOLED screen works great in the sunshine in FL.

I used a cheapy Asus Nexus 7 with Mavic Air 1. Worked fine for me. You think the ASUS Zenpad Z8s would work? Pretty sure its 64 bit.
2020-5-18
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-17 20:02
Follow-up on the cable I ordered. It does NOT work. It is probably configured to make the tablet end the host but I am not sure just yet. I will investigate further to determine the difference between it and the one supplied by DJI.

I figured out what is different about the cables. The cable I bought on Amazon has a jumper from the ID pin to ground in the micro USB end connector. That is what I suspected. It makes the tablet the host and that does not work with the MA2 controller. It was not possible to remove the jumper without destroying the connector so I tried to splice another micro USB cable without the jumper to another length cable with a USB-C male connector, but for some reason it did not work. Rather than try to figure out that problem, I just cut the DJI short cable in half and spliced in a 6" section of 4-wire cable from another part. It worked but the Fly app kept crashing when I used the tablet. It worked ok with the phone however. I wondered about the difference and came to realize that I had not used a cable piece with a solid shield and that left the wires open to electrical noise. So I wrapped a length of aluminum foil around the cable, connected it to the shield wire in the DJI cable and all was well. I guess there was just a lot more electrical interference from the larger display on  the tablet.

For what it is worth, there is also a 5k Ohm resistor from pin CC1 to ground in the short DJI cable USB-C connector. It is only present in the cable for the micro USB devices.That resistor sets the amount of current that flows to the power in the phone/tablet from the R/C. It makes for a lot of current and I suspect that is needed to keep the device talking to the remote. Generic cables may or may not have that resistor installed if they are not to be used for charging.

2020-5-21
Use props
Hotrod in Daytona
lvl.3
United States

Mr. Motta Posted at 5-18 17:57
I used a cheapy Asus Nexus 7 with Mavic Air 1. Worked fine for me. You think the ASUS Zenpad Z8s would work? Pretty sure its 64 bit.

64bit Android 9 with USB-C connector will likely work.  The nice part about USB-C is you can flip the cable if the host is on wrong end.
2020-5-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules