Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air - batteries swollen
2850 10 2020-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adrian8891
Second Officer
Flight distance : 779564 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Hi guys!

Immediately after charging the battery, and after flying the drone, I noticed that the battery was swollen.  This swelling gently decreases over time.  Looking at AirData, I see that there are no faulty battery cells.  Yes, there are individual deviations, but they are 1 - 3 pieces.  
Is it normal for Mavic Air batteries to swell?  When I put them on the table top, I can move the battery gently after the battery has swollen.

2020-5-8
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2494390 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha adrian,

Yes, the batteries for the Mavic Air do swell a bit because I recently noticed that for myself.  So far there have been no problems.  (But, I did have to replace two of my P4 Pro batteries for swelling.)

However, if you think there is excessive swelling, you should take a photo and post it here on the Forum (preferably in this thread).  We can then give you our opinion on the swelling.

Hope this helps!

Be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-5-9
Use props
Vlas
Captain
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 5-9 01:13
Aloha adrian,

Yes, the batteries for the Mavic Air do swell a bit because I recently noticed that for myself.  So far there have been no problems.  (But, I did have to replace two of my P4 Pro batteries for swelling.)

Great advice. I also noticed swelling at times on the Air and was curious why it just went away. I was told not to worry about it and didnt have any issues as far as battery life.
2020-5-9
Use props
Maple2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 912185 ft
Canada

How old are your batteries? I haven't had any swelling with my mavic air batterys yet. Lipo batteries need to be cared for properly or they will sometimes start to swell or the battery life will start to degrade. There are some great videos on Utube about care for drone batteries, some which are close to half an hour, but worth the time, as you get all the details.
Hope this helps
2020-5-9
Use props
Ken Storm
First Officer
Flight distance : 81266 ft
United Kingdom

I use JJBs FRAP program (it's excellent) and analyze the logs off your phone and calculate the max deviation in mv for each battery.
I use that to track the batteries and pick up any deviation that seems to be 'getting out of hand'.
I then drain the battery down to <10% monitoring the voltage of each battery to ensure it does not go down below the (IIRC) 3.5v per cell level.
Let it cool then charge back up to 100% fully cycling the battery.
This usually corrects any deviation after 1 or 2 attempt.
Note: let the battery charge to 100% as balancing the cells only occurs at the end of the charge cycle.
2020-5-9
Use props
cfigu65761
lvl.1

United States

lucky you I spent 500 during covid. to have a Mavic Air that does not work. tried everything I could think of. waste of Time and money trying to fix. and only open on weekdays. smh
2020-5-9
Use props
Maple2
Second Officer
Canada

cfigu65761 Posted at 5-9 12:23
lucky you I spent 500 during covid. to have a Mavic Air that does not work. tried everything I could think of. waste of Time and money trying to fix. and only open on weekdays. smh

Whats the problem whith your mavic air?
2020-5-10
Use props
djiuser_UtRmAsA9mG51
lvl.2

United States

I fly six batts daily on mavic air...it's summer...so swell occurs...unless nocturnal flights being significantly cooler.

After landing immed take out batt and cheek feel side that interfaces drone motherboards, its hottest right there.

Put batt down on cool surface not tarmac hot and go fly another batt, and so forth

I found out placing the spent batts cluttered into my satchel they seemed to get hotter like nuclear chain reaction wise.

Back at charging station, yup, you can freezer to equalize into room temp 80F then hookup otherwise just wait till permissivity trips batts temp satisfactory

But dont allow swelling as much as possible. You're friend is temperature when you fly so think ahead to minimize batt temp excursions (strong wind heats batt, radio transmit heats batt, etc)
2020-5-10
Use props
cfigu65761
lvl.1

United States

Maple2 Posted at 5-10 07:59
Whats the problem whith your mavic air?

everything
satellite has no signal
can't get into my pictures
does not start

tried a 100 times to fix it. I wish I never got it
2020-5-10
Use props
Ken Storm
First Officer
Flight distance : 81266 ft
United Kingdom

Does the drone power up, if so what is the status of the rear light?

Q: Satellite has no signal - implies you can connect to the controller with a phone/table and the drone. But you are not getting a satellite lock outside, correct?
Q: can't get into my pictures - I always remove the SD Card, and view them straight off that. Connecting the drone to a PC has always been a pain with the lack of supported W10 drivers.
2020-5-11
Use props
Maple2
Second Officer
Canada

cfigu65761 Posted at 5-10 12:05
everything
satellite has no signal
can't get into my pictures

You should probably email dji support and get it exchanged for a working one.
2020-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules