2049 15 2020-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HI All,

I am considering purchasing a Focus Ronin S/SC focus wheel for use with my X-T3 and the a FujiFilm 10-24 mm lens.  Can the focus wheel be used to control the focal length of this lens without the additional focus motor?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Don Barar
2020-5-10
Use props
Giovi86
lvl.1
Italy

Hi, are your lenses stabilized? How is your Ronin SC performing? I use my X-T3 with XF 35mm 1.4 and footage when I walk is crap.
2020-5-10
Use props
PilleniusMC
lvl.3
Germany

The XF 10-24 is not a power zoom, so no. Without the actual focus motor you won't be able to change the focal length, only the focus.
2020-5-10
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Phillenius for answering my question.  Looks like Fuji makes only one powered zoom--the XC 15-45.

Don
2020-5-10
Use props
PilleniusMC
lvl.3
Germany

DGBarar Posted at 5-10 11:13
Thanks Phillenius for answering my question.  Looks like Fuji makes only one powered zoom--the XC 15-45.

Don

About that power zoom though, with the X-T3 it works, but you can't really control it with the Ronin-SC as the control of the focus wheel can't be remapped to that if I recall correctly.
2020-5-11
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PilleniusMC Posted at 5-11 07:37
About that power zoom though, with the X-T3 it works, but you can't really control it with the Ronin-SC as the control of the focus wheel can't be remapped to that if I recall correctly.

Hi Phillenius,

Thank you for the additional information.  For some reason I thought you could control either focus or zoom.  But when I went back through the manuals I could find no reference.  So I believe that you are correct.  It could also be an issue of whether-or-not Fuji (and other camera manufactuers) included in their SDK a way to access the electric zoom.  Maybe someone from DJI can provide clarification.

Don
2020-5-11
Use props
PilleniusMC
lvl.3
Germany

At the moment I think it is a limitation not even inside Fuji's SDK, but rather in the firmware itself as the power zoom is even less controlled than the electronic aperture selection on the X-T3, lets just say the lens was made for the X-A7 not their higher cameras.
2020-5-12
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PilleniusMC Posted at 5-12 07:32
At the moment I think it is a limitation not even inside Fuji's SDK, but rather in the firmware itself as the power zoom is even less controlled than the electronic aperture selection on the X-T3, lets just say the lens was made for the X-A7 not their higher cameras.

Hi Pillenius.

Understood.   Thank you.

Don
2020-5-12
Use props
phoberus
lvl.1

Switzerland

PilleniusMC Posted at 5-10 09:01
The XF 10-24 is not a power zoom, so no. Without the actual focus motor you won't be able to change the focal length, only the focus.

Is it possible to put the Focus Motor on the focal length gear, so control the focal length and put the camera in autofocus?
2020-5-18
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

phoberus Posted at 5-18 02:37
Is it possible to put the Focus Motor on the focal length gear, so control the focal length and put the camera in autofocus?

It is.  I just did not want to add weight or make a more complicated set-up.

Don
2020-5-18
Use props
phoberus
lvl.1

Switzerland

DGBarar Posted at 5-18 07:44
It is.  I just did not want to add weight or make a more complicated set-up.

Don

With more weight, you mean the focus motor? Shouldn't be very heavy with the X-T3 and a 18-55mm or something similar.
2020-5-18
Use props
PilleniusMC
lvl.3
Germany

The weight can be neglected I would say, sadly the gimbal slightly breaks the auto focus, there is a workaround though, which is just enabling eye AF, that enables full AF again.
2020-5-18
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PilleniusMC Posted at 5-18 14:01
The weight can be neglected I would say, sadly the gimbal slightly breaks the auto focus, there is a workaround though, which is just enabling eye AF, that enables full AF again.

Gentlemen:

Thank you for the suggestions.  For the time being I am just going to continue key-framing in--not the same as a zoom, but close enough.

My goal is to maintain set-up as simple as possible.  I already have to re-balance between normal shooting and AutoTrack even though I maintain the balance settings in my iPhone.  Gee, I am thinking of buying a second Ronin SC so I do not have to switch balance points--they are certainly inexpensive enough!.

Thank you again for your interest in responding to my question.

Don
2020-5-18
Use props
phoberus
lvl.1

Switzerland

DGBarar Posted at 5-18 18:23
Gentlemen:

Thank you for the suggestions.  For the time being I am just going to continue key-framing in--not the same as a zoom, but close enough.

So you have one ronin at the moment with your X-T3?

Then you can certainly answer these questions, that would be very nice:
  • All are the buttons and wheels on top not working if connected? How is it on the set, if you need to put the ronin every time in the sleep mode?
  • Saw this on the DJI site: "Note that the camera is unable to auto focus in video recording mode". Is it true that the autofocus in the video no longer works connected to the ronin?
Thanks

2020-5-18
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

We are kinda getting off topic—my fault. Typically I use a very simple Ronin SC arrangement with an X-T3 only.  This requires one set of balance locations-camera slide, tilt, roll, and pan.  However, when I use active track I now mount my iPhone on top of the camera.  The balance locations are different.  Changing the balance positions and auto tuning all takes time which I would like to avoid.    Hence, a reason for a possible 2nd SC.  BTW.  Continuous autofocus works just fine with the X-T3 connected to the SC with the USB C cable.

Don
2020-5-19
Use props
phoberus
lvl.1

Switzerland

DGBarar Posted at 5-19 06:57
We are kinda getting off topic—my fault. Typically I use a very simple Ronin SC arrangement with an X-T3 only.  This requires one set of balance locations-camera slide, tilt, roll, and pan.  However, when I use active track I now mount my iPhone on top of the camera.  The balance locations are different.  Changing the balance positions and auto tuning all takes time which I would like to avoid.    Hence, a reason for a possible 2nd SC.  BTW.  Continuous autofocus works just fine with the X-T3 connected to the SC with the USB C cable.

Don

sorry for OP and have fun with your setup
2020-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules