Different Operating Temperature Range according to Inspire 1 Specs
7159 14 2014-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
peter
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57287 ft
Sweden

Can anyone answer this question due to the fact that if the below specs are true and valid (the values is taken from DJI:s web site) it might be an issue for those of us living in countries that have temperature below zero (Celsius)?

Due to the fact that the Sony camera is recommended not to be used under 0° C , that would be an issue for everyone who wants to capture winter activities below freezing point in Celcius degrees?!?

Operating Temperature Range:
Inspire 1 Aircraft  -10° To 40° C
Sony Camera  0° To 40° C
Radio Controller   -20° To 40° C

2014-11-18
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do not have an answer for you.  But I can tell you that I have many AP friends in arctic zones.  They keep their lipos in a thermo box with rice bags to keep the lipos warm.  You might consider that.
2014-11-18
Use props
peter
lvl.1
Sweden

Thanks Tahoe_Ed for answer but my actual question is the difference in the "Operating Temperature Range Specs" where the camera is defined to not be used under zero celcius (0° C) but the other parts of the aircraft is well under zero, -10 to - 20° C.

-If the camera specs is set under these specs you exclude many potential customers using the Inspire 1 platform more than over +0° C degrees and that feel strange I must say. Please escalate this question to technical/architecture department so all of us using a film and photo platform also in minus degrees can have a clear statement from DJI on this one.

For the LiPo handling in cold weather that is nothing new on the scene and we all do as you say in these conditions.

Please give us a clear statement how we, the potential Inspire 1 customers around the world in cold weather conditions, can we or can we not use the platform incl the camera?

Regards
Peter
2014-11-19
Use props
rbendjebar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3170190 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice to know if this is, in fact, a real limitation.
2014-11-19
Use props
peter
lvl.1
Sweden

Ok rbendjebar I can understand if it's not a dealbreaker if you live in warm sunny countries but for many of us that live in an environment with four seasons incl the winter with low temperature it is a must that the gear is working.

As speaking the DJI Inspire 1 Sony camera is specified to only be operational between 0° To 40° C and that is NOT ok and is a deal breaker.

So please DJI reply with a official statement about why every other part of the Inspire 1 platform works down to
-20° C but not the Sony 4K camera!!! :@
2014-11-19
Use props
rbendjebar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3170190 ft
  • >>>
United States

peter@copterkam Posted at 2014-11-20 01:12
Ok rbendjebar I can understand if it's not a dealbreaker if you live in warm sunny countries but for ...

I live in Minnesota, so it is a factor. Still like the inspire, but I'll wait to order till I get an answer on that.
2014-11-19
Use props
chris
lvl.3

Indonesia

peter my feeling is not... otherwise why would dji cut some positive range benchmarks???
2014-11-19
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

If we do not get an answer from the PM on the Inspire, I will be in Lake Tahoe next week for some filming.  I can guarantee you that the temps will be below freezing.  I will test in the real world.
2014-11-19
Use props
chris
lvl.3

Indonesia

difficult for me..

bali p2 gopro 3+

bali p2 gopro 3+
2014-11-19
Use props
bryan
New

Canada

Hi everyone,

So last weekend I did my first flight with the inspire 1.  The weather outside was -20 degrees and with wind -30 degrees (Quebec city). the drone was outside for about 15 mins comming from inside warm house.  I ran the motors, lifted up, did my shots. everything was fine. Work very well.  I stop shooting around 45% 50% of the battery to prevent cold drop of the battery. Don't forget to put the little foam parts to the battery. Another trick is to put some Hot warm hand bags heaters and tape it to the battery to keep it warm.

The only thing that I did wrong was my gloves. To big to feel the controller sticks so I have to work without gloves at -30 degrees. I can told you that it's hurting very well when you get back inside the house and at some point in flight, I can't felt the controller stick because my fingers was frozen.
2015-1-19
Use props
ajgraham.email
lvl.3
Flight distance : 475289 ft
Netherlands

I can understand that there is a 0degC limit on the camera but I think this is operating temperature not ambient temperature. The camera module generates a significant amount of heat in operation. Mine feels slightly warm when I've flown it. To cool the camera generating its own heat to 0degC is possible but would need the ambient temperature to be significantly colder.
2015-1-19
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

ajgraham.email Posted at 2015-1-20 02:50
I can understand that there is a 0degC limit on the camera but I think this is operating temperature ...

aj, that is a really stupid reply.  operating temp means just that:  operating temp, irregardless of what a device does internally!  ambient = operating.  no argument about that!
2015-2-22
Use props
Berik24
New
Flight distance : 7759 ft
United States

yorlik Posted at 2015-2-22 22:51
aj, that is a really stupid reply.  operating temp means just that:  operating temp, irregardless  ...

No need to throw insults like "stupid" around.  Especially when you use words like "irregardless."  REGARDLESS... I live in Buffalo, NY and my Inspire 1 will not stay in the air for more than a few minutes when the ambient temperature is below -10 degress Celsius.  The windchill does have a significant effect on the flight time, but I have not been able to fly for very long even in moderately freezing conditions.
2015-2-22
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-19 11:19
I do not have an answer for you.  But I can tell you that I have many AP friends in arctic zones.  T ...

Ed,

I sent this question to dji support:

What is the acceptable temperature range for operation of my two new phantom 2 vision plus v3 drones?

Your people replied with the following definitive answer:

M. L. (DJI Technology)
Feb 23, 10:40
Dear Mike,
Thank you for contacting DJI North America.

Operating Environment Temperature
0℃-40℃

DJI Technical Support Team
DJI Customer Service North America

Thought you might like to know the answer too for future reference.
2015-3-15
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have operated the Inspire at lower than 0C  It is the camera that has the greatest problem at lower temperatures not the MC.
2015-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules