Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air 2 GPS in SRT?
4120 10 2020-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Buckward
lvl.1
United States

Will the Mavic Air 2 have GPS data in the SRT file?
Will DJI ever add this via firmware to the Mavic Air?
2020-5-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If its like the mini they switched to encoding the subtitles inside the mp4 file.
2020-5-11
Use props
Buckward
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-11 04:13
If its like the mini they switched to encoding the subtitles inside the mp4 file.

I wouldn't mind that in theory.  It's not something mentioned in the marketing thus far for Mavic Air 2.  I just started using GTE software to extract GPS (and other) telemetry from GoPro footage and visualize using AE templates.  I do like the wealth of data embedded in the mp4 file.  Useful and convenient.  The GTE software uses the SRT file to do the same thing.  Did not know about mini encoding.  I wonder if GPS is included, though I don't plan on getting one.  I bought the Mavic Air becuase I got tired of waiting for the Phantom 5 Pro, which I do not care about anymore as I dislike that form factor for non-portability and my new love of 360 drone panos.  I've been waiting for the Mavic Pro 3 when this Mavic Air 2 came along.   
2020-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Buckward Posted at 5-11 04:42
I wouldn't mind that in theory.  It's not something mentioned in the marketing thus far for Mavic Air 2.  I just started using GTE software to extract GPS (and other) telemetry from GoPro footage and visualize using AE templates.  I do like the wealth of data embedded in the mp4 file.  Useful and convenient.  The GTE software uses the SRT file to do the same thing.  Did not know about mini encoding.  I wonder if GPS is included, though I don't plan on getting one.  I bought the Mavic Air becuase I got tired of waiting for the Phantom 5 Pro, which I do not care about anymore as I dislike that form factor for non-portability and my new love of 360 drone panos.  I've been waiting for the Mavic Pro 3 when this Mavic Air 2 came along.

I totally agree with you about the Phantom platform,  far too miserable to lug about.   From the rumours Ive seen the M2P is still selling well and until that starts to wain the M3P won't be released.
2020-5-11
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Buckward Posted at 5-11 04:42
I wouldn't mind that in theory.  It's not something mentioned in the marketing thus far for Mavic Air 2.  I just started using GTE software to extract GPS (and other) telemetry from GoPro footage and visualize using AE templates.  I do like the wealth of data embedded in the mp4 file.  Useful and convenient.  The GTE software uses the SRT file to do the same thing.  Did not know about mini encoding.  I wonder if GPS is included, though I don't plan on getting one.  I bought the Mavic Air becuase I got tired of waiting for the Phantom 5 Pro, which I do not care about anymore as I dislike that form factor for non-portability and my new love of 360 drone panos.  I've been waiting for the Mavic Pro 3 when this Mavic Air 2 came along.

What application are you using to view the SRT data?
2020-5-11
Use props
Buckward
lvl.1
United States

Vlas Posted at 5-11 09:47
What application are you using to view the SRT data?

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/
2020-5-11
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Buckward Posted at 5-11 11:22
https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

Thank you.
2020-5-11
Use props
0Kajuna0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

Hey, I'm wondering that too, so just posting here in order to get notified if anyone knows whethe the Air 2 has GPS data in the subtitles.

To complement Buckwards answer, here's where you can load the SRT files of DJI drones directly: https://djitelemetryoverlay.com/srt-viewer/

And if you need to extract the SRT data form the Mavic Mini first, you can use this: https://djitelemetryoverlay.com/subtitle-extractor/

Since the Air 2 uses the same mobile app as the Mini, I too expect it to have subtitle data in the mp4 itself.
2020-5-19
Use props
Buckward
lvl.1
United States

Just posting this hoping for an answer from DJI.  Not sure if they monitor these things.
Does the Mavic Air 2 record GPS data?  It REALLY should.
If so, is it embedded in the mp4 or a separate SRT?
2020-5-20
Use props
0Kajuna0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

Hey @Buckward ,

A user sent me SRT files from the Mavic Air 2 and they do contain location data. The sample rate is very good, but unfortunately the current firmware has a bug with the units and precision is not good. Luckily accuracy is, so you can get close-to-reality speed readings by applying some extra smoothing to the GPS path.
2020-5-29
Use props
Buckward
lvl.1
United States

0Kajuna0 Posted at 5-29 00:20
Hey @Buckward ,

A user sent me SRT files from the Mavic Air 2 and they do contain location data. The sample rate is very good, but unfortunately the current firmware has a bug with the units and precision is not good. Luckily accuracy is, so you can get close-to-reality speed readings by applying some extra smoothing to the GPS path.

Thanks for the update.  I understand bugs happen.  What I see far too much in hardware and software is obvious issues that could be easily detected with thorough testing and resolved before products go to market.  I guess it is the "thorough testing" part that is lacking and I assume this is because companies would rather start the revenue stream asap and let users do their job for them.  Good to know the gps data is there, but I'll wait for for a more mature product.
2020-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules