Cycle Battery warning on Android device only
784 2 2020-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lil myotis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141158 ft
United States

While setting up Inspire 1 v2 with dual controllers, I had access only to an apple tablet and a sumsung (android) phone. This is a new-to-me uas, and wanted to ensure all the settings are correct, etc.  In overall aircraft status, the android device states firmware is up to date, but status is "abnormal" - and says battery cycling is required, fully discharge and recharge batteries.  
I tried turning the aircraft on with only the android device hooked up to the master controller (no slave controller hooked up).  ONLY the android device gives me this warning. The apple device does not.  I suspect this issue is something to do with the app running on android. Has anyone else had this issue? How do I correct it, and should I be concerned about my batteries?

Is battery cycling required? I have read many contradictory things about how to properly cycle TB48 and TB47 batteries - (drain battery to 8%, then recharge), and I have also read that since these are "intellegent" batteries, cycling like this is unneccessary.  

Any advice would be appreciated.
2020-5-11
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Dude, cycle the battery. Drain it until it turns itself off, let it cool, then fully recharge it.

0% does not mean it's completely flat. The battery will switch off when the lowest cell reaches 3.3v, this is safe to do.

Mark G.
2020-5-12
Use props
lil myotis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141158 ft
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 5-12 12:42
Dude, cycle the battery. Drain it until it turns itself off, let it cool, then fully recharge it.

0% does not mean it's completely flat. The battery will switch off when the lowest cell reaches 3.3v, this is safe to do.

Thank you. I had planned on cycling them anyways, just to be safe. I just found it odd that I was only getting the warning on the Android device while the ipad shows no warning at all - and i know I have the latest version of the app on both devices.

If you don't mind me asking a follow up question, (this is another thing I haven't been able to find a clear answer on) what is your preferred way to drain the batteries? I usually fly, then keep it on in the inspire until the app shows the battery is 0%, let cool, and recharge. I know the TB48 and TB47 batteries have a residual charge in them so it's not possible to over-discharge (or so I've read), but I seem to see draining to 8% is the magic number.  

These batteries came with a refurbished Inspire, and each has been through at least 40 charge cycles, and I have no idea if the previous owner cycled them properly or not.

I flew with the batteries today and did notice a sharp drop in voltage after take off - Im not sure if this is because of the cycling issue or if they're just at the end of thier life. Regardless, I drained them down to at least 20% - I didn't have the time to run them down completely.  I plan on draining them fully tonight.

I just want to extend the life of these batteries as much as possible - can't really get them anymore, and, of course, be safe. Dont need a battery failure causing a crash.

Thanks for your input.  
2020-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules