12Next >
2970 42 2020-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Durlano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90453 ft
North Macedonia

After the latest update (adding manual controls for video, adding 24p formats...) , mavic mini now becomes cinematic drone and now usage of ND filters makes so much sense!  
So what are you experience and suggestion on different brands, ND numbers used and some real scenario tests and videos?
2020-5-12
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

There's already several topics on filter usage... I think you can find some of the answers you may need there. Try go down the topics listing and search for -ND- and -filter- locally, or use the Search function of the forum
2020-5-12
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

I would recommend the many many videos on Youtube (keywords: mavic mini nd filter), you can see which filter affects the image and in what way.
2020-5-12
Use props
Durlano
lvl.4
North Macedonia

Thanks for the reply!
I already did both, but not much details and reviews after the latest update!
2020-5-12
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

No issues with Sunnylife here.
2020-5-12
Use props
Durlano
lvl.4
North Macedonia

Vlas Posted at 5-12 04:49

Thanks for the info! I was shortlisting them!
I have read that ND/PL combination is useless - PL part
Also i have read that it makes Vignetting on photo mode?
2020-5-12
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Durlano Posted at 5-12 05:01
Thanks for the info! I was shortlisting them!
I have read that ND/PL combination is useless - PL part
Also i have read that it makes Vignetting on photo mode?

The ND/PL have their place. If the environmental factors line up, they will cut reflections off water and foliage. It can make for a stunning clip.
2020-5-12
Use props
Durlano
lvl.4
North Macedonia

Vlas Posted at 5-12 05:03
The ND/PL have their place. If the environmental factors line up, they will cut reflections off water and foliage. It can make for a stunning clip.

i meant for the Sunnylife version of ND/PL - as somebody mentioned you cant rotate the pl filter so it can't be used
2020-5-12
Use props
Durlano
lvl.4
North Macedonia

2020-5-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Make sure you really need them.
ND filters are not making your video that much better.
Flying SLOW is usually a much bigger improvement (plus it is free of hassle and free of costs)

A good operator however does make a very good video.
Only when you are really sure you need them go and buy a set.
2020-5-12
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Durlano Posted at 5-12 05:05
i meant for the Sunnylife version of ND/PL - as somebody mentioned you cant rotate the pl filter so it can't be used

I have not bought the ND/PL yet for the Mini but have used them on my other quads, I'll probably take a look at some Freewells or PolarPro at that point.
2020-5-12
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Italy

I am a great supporter of ND-PLs... not only you get the hazing of 1 filter but effectively getting 2, but if you like PLs at worst you will not get the polarization part.

Since remote controlled PLs are not a thing you just need to know the prevalent angle you're shooting and you can make great use of an ND/PL or PL filter.
2020-5-12
Use props
Luca90
lvl.3
Flight distance : 429938 ft
Italy

Three weeks ago, I bought a set of ND filters (8-16-32 and 64) from Pgytech and I recieved them yesterday.
First I was about to buy Freewell's ones, but I saw in some reviews on Youtube that the NDPL filters, under some lighting cirumstances, bring a red lens flare inside the camera, and this can be annoying..

Anyway, some minutes ago I finished a quick test with them (today it's very windy so I don't want to lose my Mini) and they are pretty good.
I tried all of them to be sure to not have problems with the gimbal and all worked well, tried even the camera angulations (from -90° to +20°) and no problem at all. I've got a gimbal shake once, but was due to a wrong placement of the filter...
Done a test on the files stright out of the camera too, and I don't see image quality loss.

Next days, if the weather let me, I will try them better!

IMG_20200516_112746.jpg
2020-5-16
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

Luca90 Posted at 5-16 01:55
Three weeks ago, I bought a set of ND filters (8-16-32 and 64) from Pgytech and I recieved them yesterday.
First I was about to buy Freewell's one, but I saw in some reviews on Youtube that the NDPL filters, under some lighting cirumstances, bring a red lens flare inside the camera, and this can be annoying..

i also ordered the pgytech some time ago (and still waiting them) , because of the same reasons...the flares effects caused by the round ndpl filters under certain angles put me off. I really wanted a combined ndpl but there are none that are not round, so all will suffer from that effect.
Looking forward to your feedback how the pgytech are doing with real flights. Probably the gimbal movement upon abrupt stops in sport mode that is present currently without filter might be worse or better...
2020-5-16
Use props
Luca90
lvl.3
Italy

sbonev Posted at 5-16 02:53
i also ordered the pgytech some time ago (and still waiting them) , because of the same reasons...the flares effects caused by the round ndpl filters under certain angles put me off. I really wanted a combined ndpl but there are none that are not round, so all will suffer from that effect.
Looking forward to your feedback how the pgytech are doing with real flights. Probably the gimbal movement upon abrupt stops in sport mode that is present currently without filter might be worse or better...

I was searching too for a combined filter, but better not have the PL rather than see unwanted flares.

I'll search for a PL later!

As soon as I will be able to make a deeper test I'll post here my conclusions and thoughts! ;)
For completeness, you can put the gimbal cover on even with a filter attached (probably a useless information but...)
2020-5-16
Use props
Durlano
lvl.4
North Macedonia

First I was about to buy Freewell's ones, but I saw in some reviews on Youtube that the NDPL filters, under some lighting cirumstances, bring a red lens flare inside the camera, and this can be annoying..

Thanks for the info! I'am glad that PGYtech nd filters are ok! i think that they had a problem with weight for the first batch causing gimbal shake but probably they fix it!
2020-5-17
Use props
ThalisGr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Based on various reviews and opinions I decided to buy the Skyreat filters from Amazon UK, when they became available. They are the ND/PL version as they were the only available at the moment.
I got them last week but I tried them just today morning with some good sunny weather.
First of all I have to say tha despite what I was told, the Mini with the filter on, weights 250gr, which in theory makes the fly illegal without registration. But I would say that if you 'bend' the rules a bit then it is probably fine. Now the Skyreat filters are not the most expensive ones, neither the cheapest. I bought them £54, which is an average price and I think their quality is great. For such small thing the precision and attention to detail is awesome.
Now my background is of an enthousiastic photographer who only occasionally shoots video. Shooting photos with DSLR and ND filters is quite straight forward, especially if you have a graduated filter and a good camera. Shooting video with a ND filter can be tricky, especially if you want to stick to famous video rule, where the best results come if your shutter speed is double your frame rate or so. You need to plan ahead and have the experience to use the right ND filter. This is especially important when you shoot with the drone where is not so easy to change filters.
So today I shot with ND8, ND16 and ND32. The last one could be only used when most of the frame was sky...any other time the video was underexposure. ND16 was good for sky and ground especially from quite a height, while ND8 was the best option when I flew low and had lots of ground and trees on my frame.
As I said I am not the most experience videographer so I had to take off and on in order to change filters 4 times :-).
Finally a small detail...I started my fly with ND16, then 8, then 32, then 16, and finally 8 again. When I came back home and saw the first footage I was disappointed, as the vignette was clearly visible in the bottom corners . But then any other footage was without any visible vignette (see the comparison screenshots). Then I recalled that the first filter went on without me wearring my glasses. So my advise is to be careful when you use the filters because they need to be installed properly and be in perfect align with the camera lens.

2020-5-18
Use props
sv3n
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35833 ft
Germany

I just ordered the all day pack and the long exposure set consisting of ND1000 and ND2000 from Freewell. I think they´re the first long exposure ND´s for Mini. Also I haven´t seen them before on their website. Hope they´ll be delivered soon, so I can test them
2020-5-18
Use props
3Recon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

I'm looking at Skyreat ND Filters Set of 6 Pack-(CPL, UV, ND8, ND16, ND32, ND64) I'm looking more into the fixed ND filters covers no adjustment needed. these are simular to the Freewell which seem to be coming by kayak from China
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 2JS39G1SMOCQV&psc=1
2020-5-18
Use props
Durlano
lvl.4
North Macedonia

sv3n Posted at 5-18 07:00
I just ordered the all day pack and the long exposure set consisting of ND1000 and ND2000 from Freewell. I think they´re the first long exposure ND´s for Mini. Also I haven´t seen them before on their website. Hope they´ll be delivered soon, so I can test them

We are waiting for your tests and footage with this ones!
2020-5-20
Use props
Durlano
lvl.4
North Macedonia

ThalisGr Posted at 5-18 06:20
Based on various reviews and opinions I decided to buy the Skyreat filters from Amazon UK, when they became available. They are the ND/PL version as they were the only available at the moment.
I got them last week but I tried them just today morning with some good sunny weather.
First of all I have to say tha despite what I was told, the Mini with the filter on, weights 250gr, which in theory makes the fly illegal without registration. But I would say that if you 'bend' the rules a bit then it is probably fine. Now the Skyreat filters are not the most expensive ones, neither the cheapest. I bought them £54, which is an average price and I think their quality is great. For such small thing the precision and attention to detail is awesome.

Thanks for your input! I was thinking to use only ND16 on bright sunny day, and no filter for low ground photos...maybe nd8 is usable (if it is ND+PL) for shots over water...  
2020-5-20
Use props
Durlano
lvl.4
North Macedonia

First I was about to buy Freewell's ones, but I saw in some reviews on Youtube that the NDPL filters, under some lighting cirumstances, bring a red lens flare inside the camera, and this can be annoying..

Thanks for your input! i have ordered too PGYtech ones, non pl... btw, i can see that you have created bumpers for your mini
2020-5-20
Use props
ThalisGr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Durlano Posted at 5-20 06:05
Thanks for your input! I was thinking to use only ND16 on bright sunny day, and no filter for low ground photos...maybe nd8 is usable (if it is ND+PL) for shots over water...

I think you are right. I am not fun of the PL section of the filters, as when you turn the drone in different directions change the contrast of the colours, but I suppose if you have a plan you can have some nice results over water. ND8 worked quite ok for me around trees etc, in a bright sunny day
2020-5-20
Use props
Daniel Mitrea
lvl.1

Romania

Thanks for the info! I
2020-5-20
Use props
Luca90
lvl.3
Italy

Durlano Posted at 5-20 06:08
Thanks for your input! i have ordered too PGYtech ones, non pl... btw, i can see that you have created bumpers for your mini

You're welcome!
Actually, they are temporary lights holders (for red and green strobo), waiting for some detachable pair
2020-5-20
Use props
Luca90
lvl.3
Italy

sbonev Posted at 5-16 02:53

On Sunday I went for a mountain hiking, and thanks to the weather I was able to make better tests of the filters!
In the first place, to be sure, I've mounted all the filters again and I can say that they don't create any problems to the gimbal.
I tested the ND16 in sport mode, forward and backward and I got only a single shake after an hard stop at max speed (the camera, instead of 'falling' and remaining down, turned back on the selected angle, strange!)
I made long flights for my footage, and never had a problem!
I'm really satisfied, only sometimes it was difficult to keep the EV to 0 (I was shooting at 24 FPS and 1/50s of shutter speed and working only with ISO in some conditions the EV were or +0.3  @200 ISO or -0.4 @100 ISO, but nothing that you can't adjust in post-production).
Of course I use the filters for still photos (like I use to do with the camera) and works fine.

2020-5-20
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Switzerland

Luca90 Posted at 5-20 08:15
On Sunday I went for a mountain hiking, and thanks to the weather I was able to make better tests of the filters!
In the first place, to be sure, I've mounted all the filters again and I can say that they don't create any problems to the gimbal.
I tested the ND16 in sport mode, forward and backward and I got only a single shake after an hard stop at max speed (the camera, instead of 'falling' and remaining down, turned back on the selected angle, strange!)

ok sounds perfect. Still waiting for mine...really annoying how long it takes now from China, usually it was 2 weeks tops.
The EV is not a problem, i rarely shoot at 0, usually it is in the minus. -0.3, -0.7 are the best i noticed, though without filter.
2020-5-20
Use props
3Recon
lvl.4
United States

I was waiting also for that kayak from China for the Skyreat ND filters (similar style as Freewell) with only one CPL filter but, good news they just moved up delivery time a week early to 5/30 Ya now all I need is the weather to help out here in the NW Oh yes and the pandemic. Do  you guys just go straight to adjusting setting or do you let the over exposure warning give you a heads up? hope I'm not stepping on your post with question.
Just going by the number of what I want to achieve the 16 maybe a good starting point for forest and the horizon for me here and much higher when I pan the ocean and beach's  in January thru Feb. Just talking and observing what your able to achieve for now.
Cheers and be safe.
2020-5-20
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Vlas Posted at 5-12 04:49

I am looking at getting these as they seem well made and reasonably priced. Can you notice any difference flying? I'm not planning on doing long exposures or anything like that but I film a lot on the water and afternoon glare can be an issue.
2020-5-20
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

deathsquad Posted at 5-20 13:14
I am looking at getting these as they seem well made and reasonably priced. Can you notice any difference flying? I'm not planning on doing long exposures or anything like that but I film a lot on the water and afternoon glare can be an issue.

No issues whatsoever.
2020-5-20
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Vlas Posted at 5-20 15:57
No issues whatsoever.

Do they make any difference to the footage I mean with and without them? Also what ones do you use? CPL, ND8, 16..
2020-5-20
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

deathsquad Posted at 5-20 17:25
Do they make any difference to the footage I mean with and without them? Also what ones do you use? CPL, ND8, 16..

Usually just ND for video but occasionally CP/ND. There is a difference particularly when you are flying close to a subject. Gives a nice blur. The CP/ND are nice for water and reflections...or any reflection I try to eliminate.
2020-5-20
Use props
sv3n
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35833 ft
Germany

Durlano Posted at 5-20 06:01
We are waiting for your tests and footage with this ones!

Sure, I´m also  really hyped for the long exposure ones! they should arrive beginning of next week, quite fast delivery!
2020-5-22
Use props
3Recon
lvl.4
United States

Sun keeps poking it's glow out and yes I've become a stalker... Amazon Prime stalker ( I do have a long driveway) my Skyreat ND filters(fixed and a CPL) are due today  and I haven't been able to get up for a few days and I have other things to do like waiting for our OP to show more when they receive theirs'.
Cheers everyone, stay safe. I'm raising a glass to us all doing these times.
2020-5-22
Use props
3Recon
lvl.4
United States

Well they arrived and the dart board forecasters say clear and dry. These guys a tiny but so is the Mini.
Skyreat ND_Filter (2).jpg
2020-5-23
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Italy

DJI_0698.JPG Untouched (resized) picture w/ SunnyLife ND-PL 16-

Complete photomerge (HDR) here:

Image data: ISO 100 HDR  f/2.8 H 363m a.s.l., web version 3859x1080x24b
-

2020-5-23
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Switzerland

I just received mine...right on time when it started raining
Anyways i will have to wait to put them to the test. And actually for the price i was surprised by the quality so far - they seem good at least according to the brief apartment light tests. Now only left to test them in real life scenario. And by the way one vote from me for Pgytech - the magnetic box lid is quite thoughtful and the box itself is quite good and sturdy.  So far only pleasant surprises, definitely worth the wait...
2020-5-23
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

There are many videos on YouTube explaining the does and don'ts with filters on the MM and tutorials as to use them correctly.  Just when I think I have learnt something I see a 100 more new ways to make videos with filters. Good luck I hope this helps
2020-5-23
Use props
3Recon
lvl.4
United States

Hi guys (generic statement) well like many of us mentioned that we were expecting our ND filter this week, well? I received mind and it's been a learning curve in my air space.  Started out trying them all 8,16,32 and 64 that was a hand full, not mention getting my larger then average (what's average !!!) anyway different store. Day 2 light gray over cast went with ND8 filter let me mention I 'd take off and accent to my RTH elevation 127 feet hovered with 24f , 1/50- 1/60 and 200 I tried just adjusting ISO because I found trying to do shutter higher it appeared choppy and as I was flying I was adjusting to keep my exposure in the tenth negative  or positive range it was easier to stay close to whole number. The third day used a ND 16 filter for pretty cloudless sky and using the same procedure except climbing to 150 ft.and 25fs stay away from 400. Haven't edited a video just trying to fill more at ease using filters.
Question do you guys try to constantly  to adjust (hoovering)or stay close and hope to adjust in post production big word (edit)? I found also for me keeping the sun in the same orientation/ position of sun as when starting your setting with gimbal rotating between straight down to 30 percent and in my case fly in reverse because I'm in a Southwesterly position from where I fly. I fill I'm taking the right approach to my learning curve but willing to absorb from others.
It's a lot different then setting up a land camera which I use to tinker with and still do a little.
Just trying to keep it easy and enjoy.
2020-5-28
Use props
ThalisGr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

3Recon Posted at 5-28 14:28
Hi guys (generic statement)  well like many of us mentioned that we were expecting our ND filter this week, well? I received mind and it's been a learning curve in my air space.  Started out trying them all 8,16,32 and 64 that was a hand full, not mention getting my larger then average (what's average !!!) anyway different store. Day 2 light gray over cast went with ND8 filter let me mention I 'd take off and accent to my RTH elevation 127 feet hovered with 24f , 1/50- 1/60 and 200 I tried just adjusting ISO because I found trying to do shutter higher it appeared choppy and as I was flying I was adjusting to keep my exposure in the tenth negative  or positive range it was easier to stay close to whole number. The third day used a ND 16 filter for pretty cloudless sky and using the same procedure except climbing to 150 ft.and 25fs stay away from 400. Haven't edited a video just trying to fill more at ease using filters.
Question do you guys try to constantly  to adjust (hoovering)or stay close and hope to adjust in post production big word (edit)? I found also for me keeping the sun in the same orientation/ position of sun as when starting your setting with gimbal rotating between straight down to 30 percent and in my case fly in reverse because I'm in a Southwesterly position from where I fly. I fill I'm taking the right approach to my learning curve but willing to absorb from others.
It's a lot different then setting up a land camera  which I use to tinker with and still do a little.

It is the same for me...a learning curve. Personally I try to keep ISO to 100 max 200 as above that, there is noticable grain. So I adjust the shutter speed accordnily to keep my exposure -0.3 to -0.7 of what Mini things is the best value lol. Also I use the exposure histogram a lot, as in a bright days the phone screen is almost useless to judge (but I am trying to improve this with some DIY 'hood' for the moment). From my brief experience  ND16 or 32 is good for bright sunny days, ND8 for overcast days...I didn't have the opportunity so far to try the mini in conditions like heavy overcast of low light
2020-5-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules