Filming with camera pitch 90 deg down
2499 11 2020-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MBender
lvl.2
Flight distance : 807116 ft
Poland

I've noticed that I can place the drone camera 90 degrees down, which can yield some great shots. However, I've noticed the drone will pitch the camera up a little bit on its own when I start flying.

Is this some security feature? If so, can this be disabled? If I know the drone is clear of any obstacles in all directions then I'd like to make use of the top-down view for some cool shots...
2020-5-12
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I've not noticed that but it may be to compensate for the drone itself pitching forward when it's moving, keeps the camera pointing straight down and not slightly behind
2020-5-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Are you flying slow?
2020-5-12
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Poland

itchyeyeballs Posted at 5-12 02:12
I've not noticed that but it may be to compensate for the drone itself pitching forward when it's moving, keeps the camera pointing straight down and not slightly behind

Good point. I'll check that out. Perhaps I was too strong on the controls.
2020-5-12
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've yet to notice this,
2020-5-12
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

that's normal if you start flying backward. The drone will tilt backwards and the gimbal won't have enough travel to compensate for this. You can get the same effect if you look upwards with the gimbal (not level, but upwards) and start flying forward.
2020-5-12
Use props
Durlano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90453 ft
North Macedonia

I really like this kind of video and photo making, but for good videos or photos we need to go high! and with the mavic mini sensitivity to high winds makes me afraid to use it more like that!
2020-5-12
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124019 ft
France

Ice_2k Posted at 5-12 04:54
that's normal if you start flying backward. The drone will tilt backwards and the gimbal won't have enough travel to compensate for this. You can get the same effect if you look upwards with the gimbal (not level, but upwards) and start flying forward.

..totally agree with you, and it's possible to disable this in the gimbal options, I think..
2020-5-12
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Poland

Durlano Posted at 5-12 05:03
I really like this kind of video and photo making, but for good videos or photos we need to go high! and with the mavic mini sensitivity to high winds makes me afraid to use it more like that!

Define "high". I've noticed the Mini is quite resilient to strong winds (relative to the small size and weight of the drone at least). But I've also found it'll throw the "strong wind" warning even with a slight breeze.

Yes, of course wind speeds at higher altitudes can be significant, which is why I'm still somewhat curious as to what you mean by "high".

Given the context of this thread (top-down aerial shots) and what others have posted about the camera, wind could force the drone to tilt to compensate causing the camera to no longer be tilted 90-degrees down. I think this might be more of an issue than the wind itself...
2020-5-12
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The change in it's pitch has to do with protecting the gimbal operating at such an extreme angle. There is no way to turn it off.
2020-5-12
Use props
RCnerd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18307 ft
United States

Durlano Posted at 5-12 05:03

I don't usually press my luck on windy days but when I do I limit altitude to ~150 ft. and manually fly upwind a little ways using sport mode before attempting any photography.  If the wind is so strong that you can't make any progress upwind in sport mode then it's time to call it quits.
2020-5-12
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Poland

deathsquad Posted at 5-12 14:14
The change in it's pitch has to do with protecting the gimbal operating at such an extreme angle. There is no way to turn it off.

Just curious: how is the gimbal in any danger? I can see how the drone tilting (to fly / stabilize) can throw it off, but you seem to suggest there's a more important reason.

Can you elaborate?
2020-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules