Ronin SC with Sony A6*000 cameras
2260 6 2020-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MoFoHo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi all! Very new to gimbals here, so please be gentle!

In addition to my Mavic Pro drone, I'm also looking to buy a Ronin SC gimbal as I'm looking to do some videography in addition to some semi-professional photography work I do.
The problem is, picking a suitable mirrorless camera.

I'm a typical Nikon (DSLR) shooter, so obviously I was looking towards the mirrorless Nikon 'Z mount' cameras, particulary the Z50. However, being relatively new, there seems to be not so much a legacy of nice lenses to draw upon. I want to use fast primes you see?

So, I ended up looking at the Sony A6*00 series of cameras. They look tiny and light, and there's some nice lenses out there. Additionally, there's even an anamorphic option, the Sirui 50mm/f1.8, which is also available in E mount. This lens alone has started my interest in mirrorless cameras (and it's not available in Z mount).

I'm very new to gimbal technology AND mirrorless camera systems. I was just hoping to find some re-assurance that the Sony A6*00 series are a good match for the Ronin SC?
I'm confused when looking through the compatibility charts on the DJI website. Regarding lenses, does that mean you can ONLY use those lenses on a given camera?
I'm looking to get the Ronin SC with the focus wheel & motor. So does that mean, given physical limitations, that I can 'pull focus' using the wheel & motor on most MF lenses?
Additionally, can I 'pull focus' electronically using some lenses built in focus motors? I'm confused as to when the focus motor & wheel require to be used.

So, is a 2nd hand Sony A6300 or A6400 a good match for the Ronin SC, and has anybody, dare I ask, considered using the Sirui anamorphic lenses on this gimbal?
Sorry for all the questions, pretty new to all this!
2020-5-12
Use props
PilleniusMC
lvl.3
Germany

About the lenses in the compatibility sheet, those are the lenses DJI has tested to work with the stabilization of the gimbal itself, so with other lenses the mileage may vary, but the Sirui should fit, as it is fairly compact and not too heavy.
2020-5-12
Use props
MoFoHo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

PilleniusMC Posted at 5-12 07:34
About the lenses in the compatibility sheet, those are the lenses DJI has tested to work with the stabilization of the gimbal itself, so with other lenses the mileage may vary, but the Sirui should fit, as it is fairly compact and not too heavy.

Ah, ok. Many thanks!
Does the "Pull focus electronically" statement in the camera compatibility page, refer to the focus wheel actuating the built in focus motor of lenses? If it DOESN'T state that, is that when you have to either rely on some form of auto-focus, or the focus motor?
2020-5-12
Use props
PilleniusMC
lvl.3
Germany

MoFoHo Posted at 5-12 08:50
Ah, ok. Many thanks!
Does the "Pull focus electronically" statement in the camera compatibility page, refer to the focus wheel actuating the built in focus motor of lenses? If it DOESN'T state that, is that when you have to either rely on some form of auto-focus, or the focus motor?

If the lens says, that it works with the auto focus of the camera you can use the focus wheel without the motor, so yes, it just uses the motor in the lens.
EDIT: For lenses, that don't interact with the camera directly you need to use the focus motor.
2020-5-13
Use props
malikbianca
lvl.1

United States

Hi, I've got the sony a6500 and currently I'm using DJI Ronin S. I'm planning to upgrade my gear a bit to Ronin SC but I'm a bit confused that should I go for it or not as I've got my concerns as would it be able to carry heavy lenses or should i go for some other options
2020-5-26
Use props
malikbianca
lvl.1

United States

So, could anyone suggest me which one should I buy that I can use for long hours and is able to carry the weight of the camera & lens without any worries.
2020-5-26
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

malikbianca Posted at 5-26 15:53
So, could anyone suggest me which one should I buy that I can use for long hours and is able to carry the weight of the camera & lens without any worries.

Hi there!

I've got a ronin SC and an a6400. I mostly combine it with a rode mic micro offset to the side a microrig bracket and a sigma 16 mm f1.4 lens. As far as I know, the lens is one of the heaviest/longest primes for the aps-c e-mount system, and it is also missing on the compatibility list, but it works like a charm on the SC. I also have a variable ND screwed on the lens, and with that, the camera needs to be balanced at the very end of the SC mounting bracket (perhaps with counterweights it would work better, but I've got none).  
One last thing, the microphone is not attached on top of the camera, but to the side with the microrig bracket, where the ports of the a6400 are. The reason is that, if it is sitting on top, as the camera is balanced very much towards the back of the SC bracket, when trying to use it in underslung or flashlight mode, the mic touches a gimbal motor and the motor sounds are registered by the mic.
Hope that helps!
2020-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules