1607 20 2020-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yoengel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2370988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Got my Mavic Air 2 last Friday and it's been a fun little machine.  One thing I noticed is that it lurches forward when I start the propellers. One time I started the propellers on top of a picnic table and it lurched forward off the table and would have crashed if I hadn't pulled up on the throttle.

Has anyone noticed this?  It's not the same behavior as any DJI drones I've flown.
2020-5-12
Use props
Hanzman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1895167 ft
United States

Definitely not normal. I haven’t received my order yet so I can’t validate with my own copter, but I have watched dozens of videos and reviews with taped launchers and none of them exhibit that behavior. Make sure you have calibrated not only the compass but also the controller and the IMU.   If you are still experiencing problems, I would contact DJI.
2020-5-12
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hanzman Posted at 5-12 16:40
Definitely not normal. I haven’t received my order yet so I can’t validate with my own copter, but I have watched dozens of videos and reviews with taped launchers and none of them exhibit that behavior. Make sure you have calibrated not only the compass but also the controller and the IMU.   If you are still experiencing problems, I would contact DJI.

I did calibrate the compass using the DJI Fly App.  I don't think it's a calibration issue.  I think the rotors are generating sufficient lift to slightly lift it off the ground. It lurches forward more on smoother surfaces.  I've launched it 3-4 times and noticed it each time.  I'll record a video of it next time I take it out.
2020-5-12
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Try calibrating the IMU.
2020-5-12
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Calibrating the IMU didn't help.  Here's a video comparing the MA2 to the M2Pro.  Notice how the MA2 jerks and rattles in the beginning compared to the M2Pro?  I previously launched it from a table or ground with slight incline and it lurched forward as I started it.  It only happens the first time you launch after cooling down.

2020-5-12
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

yoengel Posted at 5-12 19:13
Calibrating the IMU didn't help.  Here's a video comparing the MA2 to the M2Pro.  Notice how the MA2 jerks and rattles in the beginning compared to the M2Pro?  I previously launched it from a table or ground with slight incline and it lurched forward as I started it.  It only happens the first time you launch after cooling down.

Mavic Air 2 Shakes, Rattles and so far not Rolls.

I don’t have the magic air 2 but it seams strange how those to arms are shaking so much in your video, are the props on properly. Is it even possible to put them on wrong.
2020-5-12
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
Malaysia

Did you straighten the props before startup? If they are not and there is some binding friction on the props when the are folded it needs more rpm to straighten by rotation. Thus the uneven lift and lurching motions.
2020-5-12
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lee82gx Posted at 5-12 20:58
Did you straighten the props before startup? If they are not and there is some binding friction on the props when the are folded it needs more rpm to straighten by rotation. Thus the uneven lift and lurching motions.

It looks like straightening the props did the trick.  I've just never had to do this on any other DJI drone.

There's an audible burst of power at startup, I hope DJI can tone it down in a future update.  Thanks.
2020-5-12
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AlanHd Posted at 5-12 20:53
I don’t have the magic air 2 but it seams strange how those to arms are shaking so much in your video, are the props on properly. Is it even possible to put them on wrong.

It looks like maybe the props are too tight when they are folded.  Unfolding the props seemed to help.
2020-5-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I agree with Lee82gx, you need to straighten the props first, the M2P is a bigger drone and the arms can handle opening up the props when motors start. Try that and let us know.
2020-5-12
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 5-12 21:24
I agree with Lee82gx, you need to straighten the props first, the M2P is a bigger drone and the arms can handle opening up the props when motors start. Try that and let us know.

Yes, straightening the props did work, thanks.
2020-5-12
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
United States

yoengel Posted at 5-12 21:26

It is stated in the manual..... But anyway enjoy and read the whole manual....

What I usually do is add a small drop of lubrication on the pin / shaft of the propeller, and rev high while on the ground to spread it out and away.
2020-5-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, yoengel. I‘m sorry for the inconvenience caused. Let me assist you with this issue.
(1) Please attach the propellers correctly.
Please attach the propellers with marks to the motors with marks and the unmarked propellers to the motors without marks, then press each propeller down onto the motor and turn until it is secure.
(2) Please unfold the propellers. I noticed that the propellers were folded. Could you please unfold all propellers and try again?
Please feel free to contact us if the issue can not be solved. Thanks for your support.
2020-5-12
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-12 22:23
Hi, yoengel. I‘m sorry for the inconvenience caused. Let me assist you with this issue.
(1) Please attach the propellers correctly.
Please attach the propellers with marks to the motors with marks and the unmarked propellers to the motors without marks, then press each propeller down onto the motor and turn until it is secure.

Hi Gamora, unfolding the propellers worked.  Thanks.
2020-5-12
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lee82gx Posted at 5-12 21:54
It is stated in the manual..... But anyway enjoy and read the whole manual....

What I usually do is add a small drop of lubrication on the pin / shaft of the propeller, and rev high while on the ground to spread it out and away.

I will try the lubrication, thanks for the tips!

Now I remember unfolding the propellers before on the original Mavic Pro, but then realized that I didn't need to at some point.
2020-5-12
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

unfolding props issue aside, is it normal how the rear arms are vibrating like crazy?! I haven't seen that in other videos.
2020-5-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

yoengel Posted at 5-12 19:13
Calibrating the IMU didn't help.  Here's a video comparing the MA2 to the M2Pro.  Notice how the MA2 jerks and rattles in the beginning compared to the M2Pro?  I previously launched it from a table or ground with slight incline and it lurched forward as I started it.  It only happens the first time you launch after cooling down.

Mavic Air 2 Shakes, Rattles and so far not Rolls.

You should always unfold props, having said that craft usually will slightly jump but it seems maybe a bit jumpy. It sounded like prop was hitting something clicking noise.
2020-5-13
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 5-13 01:10
unfolding props issue aside, is it normal how the rear arms are vibrating like crazy?! I haven't seen that in other videos.

I saw that also. either one of the blades is not reaching it's "maximum extension" due to centripedal force, and/or there is a balance issue with the prop(s).
Check and see if any of the props feels a bit tight on the pivot screws.
I might take the time to swap out the rears at first to see if the vibration dissapears...
2020-5-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

yoengel Posted at 5-12 21:26

Good News then
2020-5-13
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flycaster Posted at 5-13 07:24
I saw that also. either one of the blades is not reaching it's "maximum extension" due to centripedal force, and/or there is a balance issue with the prop(s).
Check and see if any of the props feels a bit tight on the pivot screws.
I might take the time to swap out the rears at first to see if the vibration dissapears...

I noticed that also and you can see at the end of that video that the propellers have not fully straightened out.  The propellers seem to be tighter than other Mavic drones I've used but once the propellers are fully extended then the rattling goes away.
2020-5-13
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-13 07:11
You should always unfold props, having said that craft usually will slightly jump but it seems maybe a bit jumpy. It sounded like prop was hitting something clicking noise.

As the drone shifted, it started hitting the rubber band for the mat, which caused the clicking towards the end of the first video.
2020-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules