Active track but without moving
2393 27 2020-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tonydeli7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3561007 ft
Greece

I think a good addition to the Mavic Mini would be active track but without actually moving the drone(lack of sensors)

Fly at the desired altitude,lock onto a moving object and the drone follows it by moving gimbal and turning.. No x/y axis movement only z.
2020-5-12
Use props
djiuser_GXRp6SeRS0HH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74406 ft

or only camera track. would be nice. than i only need to worry about keaping the target on screen.
2020-5-12
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree completely.
2020-5-12
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

This has been suggested several times, also and better known as "Spotlight mode". In contrast to active track, this feature would actually have a good chance of being integrated...if DJI listens and wants ;-)
2020-5-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Theres a bit of a workaround for the lack of active track -
2020-5-13
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Flight distance : 807116 ft
Poland

DAFlys Posted at 5-13 00:15
Theres a bit of a workaround for the lack of active track -

Those workarounds are... well, I wouldn't even call them "workarounds", TBH. They CAN be useful, but a workaround, to me, suggests you can get similar results consistently. But these are not similar results to "active tracking". This is "semi-tracking-under-certain-conditions-and-when-the-stars-align". ;)

It does, however, prove that the feature is there and the drone is fully capable of tracking, just that DJI chose to severely limit this functionality.
2020-5-13
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

It’s called Spotlight on the Mavic Air 1
2020-5-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MBender Posted at 5-13 01:36
Those workarounds are... well, I wouldn't even call them "workarounds", TBH. They CAN be useful, but a workaround, to me, suggests you can get similar results consistently. But these are not similar results to "active tracking". This is "semi-tracking-under-certain-conditions-and-when-the-stars-align". ;)

It does, however, prove that the feature is there and the drone is fully capable of tracking, just that DJI chose to severely limit this functionality.

The issue is that the drone doesn't have enough sensors to enable a safe full blown active track.
2020-5-13
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14094 ft
Austria

DAFlys Posted at 5-13 03:17
The issue is that the drone doesn't have enough sensors to enable a safe full blown active track.

Neither does the 120€ Tello and yet there are 3rd party software which enables active track

We need the SDK.
2020-5-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

thE29 Posted at 5-13 03:39
Neither does the 120€ Tello and yet there are 3rd party software which enables active track

We need the SDK.

The difference there is if you crash with a 3rd party app your unlikely to be under warranty.
2020-5-13
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

MBender Posted at 5-13 01:36

Not really, we do know that the mini does have vision tracking as if you pan onto a person the mini knows its a person and can auto outline them. So it can detect objects but as far as tracking them goes it's out the window. All those workaround videos are nothing more then people matching the pace of the mini's pre programed flight instructions. This is why if they move out of frame, or stop, the mini just continues along with it's pre programed flight instead of stopping, or keeping you tracked while it pans around.

With the addition of 3rd party software we will be able to expand upon these features and add things like Spotlight mode or Follow me. Granted as Dafly's has mentioned, using any 3rd party application or product with your DJI drone will void it's warranty if DJI knows about it.
2020-5-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

thE29 Posted at 5-13 03:39

We need the SDK.

You might get some spurious 3rd party apps to try tracking, but I’m sure litchi won’t implement AT, litchi work closely with dji when SDK is open, we have seen with Spark when dji released litchi refused to implement waypoints, because battery time was to short to be safe and the fact dji has not implemented AT because of OA litchi will look at this very closely they won’t leave themselves open to any potential problems caused by having AT on this drone.
2020-5-13
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Austria

hallmark007 Posted at 5-13 04:46
You might get some spurious 3rd party apps to try tracking, but I’m sure litchi won’t implement AT, litchi work closely with dji when SDK is open, we have seen with Spark when dji released litchi refused to implement waypoints, because battery time was to short to be safe and the fact dji has not implemented AT because of OA litchi will look at this very closely they won’t leave themselves open to any potential problems caused by having AT on this drone.

It all depends on the SDK and how easy/hard active/tracking/spotlight mode can be programed.

3rd party tello Active track aint from Litchi.

DJI provides many examples/tutorials. And the good thing is, that the Mavic Air 2 also uses the DJI fly app ;)

The only problem I see (currently) is, that the SDK key is only free for 20 activations (and 99$/year for unlimited).. No wonder DJI 3rd party apps cost money...
2020-5-13
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Poland

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-13 04:08

Not really, we do know that the mini does have vision tracking as if you pan onto a person the mini knows its a person and can auto outline them. So it can detect objects but as far as tracking them goes it's out the window. All those workaround videos are nothing more then people matching the pace of the mini's pre programed flight instructions. This is why if they move out of frame, or stop, the mini just continues along with it's pre programed flight instead of stopping, or keeping you tracked while it pans around.

That's definitely not the case. Unless the new updates limited the tracking even more, then I'm sure I've seen some workarounds where the drone did some tracking. Yes, going too far off frame in too short of a time-span would cause the drone to miss it, but in certain quick-shots the drone was able to keep the target centered even when said target was slowly moving.

But even IF the drone itself isn't capable of tracking... this sort of feature doesn't even need to be baked into the drone itself - the phone software itself should easily handle it.
2020-5-13
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Poland

Oh please. Not this excuse again. If I'm not careful I could crash the drone using the Quick Shots feature, and there's no warning or anything on that either.

Seriously, this is an excuse, nothing more. The drone doesn't NEED these sensors for tracking - that's just an extra safety feature. Just throw up a big fat warning on the screen if someone wants to turn this feature on.
2020-5-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

thE29 Posted at 5-13 05:42
It all depends on the SDK and how easy/hard active/tracking/spotlight mode can be programed.

3rd party tello Active track aint from Litchi.

Well litchi cost €20 once off, but my point was litchi won’t implement AT on their app because of djis safety policy. There is no other app that comes close for reliability than litchi.
2020-5-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MBender Posted at 5-13 06:16
Oh please. Not this excuse again. If I'm not careful I could crash the drone using the Quick Shots feature, and there's no warning or anything on that either.

Seriously, this is an excuse, nothing more. The drone doesn't NEED these sensors for tracking - that's just an extra safety feature. Just throw up a big fat warning on the screen if someone wants to turn this feature on.

I'm sure that would increase the warranty claims and cost DJI money.
2020-5-13
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Austria

hallmark007 Posted at 5-13 06:35
Well litchi cost €20 once off, but my point was litchi won’t implement AT on their app because of djis safety policy. There is no other app that comes close for reliability than litchi.

Does the Spark have Spotlight mode? If yes in Dji go and Litchi?
2020-5-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

thE29 Posted at 5-13 07:49

It doesn’t have spotlight , you can track forward back old side or trace.
2020-5-13
Use props
tonydeli7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3561007 ft
Greece

And Tello costs almost 1/4 of the Mavic Mini price... Hm...

I hope DJI adds some kind of tracking because sometimes it sucks not having it.
2020-5-13
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Poland

DAFlys Posted at 5-13 07:03
I'm sure that would increase the warranty claims and cost DJI money.

Warranty claims for what? If the drone crashes into something while active tracking, then it's the error of the drone operator (and it'll be in the logs). If someone has the paid-for insurance then they burn through that (it has limited uses), otherwise tough luck - go buy a new drone. If the drone does something absolutely crazy (like go fly off into the sunset) then the logs will likely show that and it's nothing more than a drone error similar to what can currently happen.
2020-5-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MBender Posted at 5-14 00:34
Warranty claims for what? If the drone crashes into something while active tracking, then it's the error of the drone operator (and it'll be in the logs). If someone has the paid-for insurance then they burn through that (it has limited uses), otherwise tough luck - go buy a new drone. If the drone does something absolutely crazy (like go fly off into the sunset) then the logs will likely show that and it's nothing more than a drone error similar to what can currently happen.

People will still try and claim and some will get paid, we often see good will type claims honoured on this forum.  Just accept that the drone was not designed to have that feature at that price point, in the same way that most 14k cars don't do 200mph.
2020-5-14
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

To be fair, the Spark for instance has no problem ATing sideways without any side sensors so it seems DJI had no problem in the past to allow you to let the drone fly on its own and just be careful about it does.
2020-5-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 5-14 01:05
To be fair, the Spark for instance has no problem ATing sideways without any side sensors so it seems DJI had no problem in the past to allow you to let the drone fly on its own and just be careful about it does.

This is a common misconception about sensors. The sensors are to protect the person who is being tracked. Being tracked sideways the craft cannot hit the person being tracked, It’s the person in control of the drone that’s responsible for the flight. Side sensors don’t work or are not available on almost all dji drones in AT.
2020-5-14
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Austria

hallmark007 Posted at 5-14 02:16
This is a common misconception about sensors. The sensors are to protect the person who is being tracked. Being tracked sideways the craft cannot hit the person being tracked, It’s the person in control of the drone that’s responsible for the flight. Side sensors don’t work or are not available on almost all dji drones in AT.

Does the spark have upwards sensors?

Or only ones to the front?
2020-5-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

thE29 Posted at 5-14 02:45
Does the spark have upwards sensors?

Or only ones to the front?

Bottom and front, most people don’t realize just how expensive the Spark was so the tend to think mini is equivalent or even better. Spark is a really great craft basic set up was €700 in Europe , battery tech was not as good then as now so it’s battery life was short, but everything else about it was exceptional. If you held both craft in your hands and had to pick the toy, it would be the mini every time .
2020-5-14
Use props
Haggi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

thE29 Posted at 5-13 07:49

Spark doesn't have Spotlight..officially.
But we start Active track, outline subject... but never hit "Go".
Spark will hover in the air, rotate and focus on subject as it's moving around.
This mode is not documented in the manual.
Same as Spotlight?

Example:

2020-5-14
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Austria

Haggi Posted at 5-14 03:44
Spark doesn't have Spotlight..officially.
But we start Active track, outline subject... but never hit "Go".
Spark will hover in the air, rotate and focus on subject as it's moving around.

Nice nice..

As I said, it all depends how good the SDK will be and how good the demos are already

At least the docuemtation is great. For the old UX and  the UX5 beta (which is I hope DJI fly).

And as simple active-tracking is already in the drone, all that has to be done is, when the tracking point reachs a certain threshold lef/right, the drone has to yaw left/right so the active-tracking object is in the view. Active tracking itself, with moving is a different case

When the SDK is out, I will take a look at that. I am a Software developer with ~20 years experience and the last 3-4 years, I only made Android apps  ;-)

Edit: Did someone ever tried out, doing the same trick with the Mini? Activating one of the automated tracking modes and simple not hiting start/go? Does the drone yaw to have the object in-screen?
2020-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules