Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Max de Leo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 886 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi all,   
I got the Mavic to with the smart controller the other day and found a strange thing I never noticed in any other DJI product.   

In Shutter priority (Mavic 2 Pro) with fixed ISO I lower the shutter to a level where the software changes the numerical shutter info in red, indicating that the photo is underexposed. I am confused that despite the underexposure, my screen remains well exposed, also the histogram stays the same. If I then check the photo, I can clearly see that it is underexposed. You can see the issue in the video below  

Is this the same for all of you owning the smart controller?  

In my Mavic Pro (first generation) the actual screen would go dark to clearly show that the shot is underexposed.

2020-5-15
Use props
MainByte
lvl.3
United States

My Mavic 2 Pro and smart controller acts just like yours.  In shutter priority, the histogram or "screen exposure" would not change when you change the shutter speed as the aperture changes also to keep the same EV level.   This would be normal.  But once you hit the red shutter speeds you would think that the histogram would move further left and the screen would darken as you increase the shutter speeds.  On my Canon 6d, as you bring the shutter speeds higher the histogram moves more left, and the screen darkens until you can't see anything.  

It appears that once you hit the red shutter speeds (underexposed) it just stops with the histogram and screen doing nothing else.   Unless I am missing something this does appear to be a problem, unless they just expect us to know that when the shutter hits "red" we are underexposed.

I just noticed on your screen video above that your histogram shows a pretty normal shot (a bit underexposed), while mine is much more crowded to the left. Of course yours might be metering different then mine is.

I hope this makes a bit of sense.  I plan on playing with it tomorrow and if I figure anything out I will post some more here.
2020-5-15
Use props
Max de Leo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 886 ft
  • >>>
Germany

MainByte Posted at 5-15 17:46
My Mavic 2 Pro and smart controller acts just like yours.  In shutter priority, the histogram or "screen exposure" would not change when you change the shutter speed as the aperture changes also to keep the same EV level.   This would be normal.  But once you hit the red shutter speeds you would think that the histogram would move further left and the screen would darken as you increase the shutter speeds.  On my Canon 6d, as you bring the shutter speeds higher the histogram moves more left, and the screen darkens until you can't see anything.  

It appears that once you hit the red shutter speeds (underexposed) it just stops with the histogram and screen doing nothing else.   Unless I am missing something this does appear to be a problem, unless they just expect us to know that when the shutter hits "red" we are underexposed.

Thanks for the info, glad to hear that this is not just a random issue on my controller. I checked and this effect does not occur if I am in Video mode, where shutter priority is indeed very very important for me. That's a good thing.
In Aperture priority (both photo and video) it does not happen either because a small aperture of f 11 can be easily compensated with a slow shutter I guess...

As for shutter priority in photo mode, I actually won't see an issue in practice. When I would want something blurry, maybe light trails of cars or a more washed out wave top-down, I would actually go in full manual and not care about shutter priority.

Would be interesting to hear from DJI if this is on purpose for some reason or just a bug

2020-5-15
Use props
MainByte
lvl.3
United States

What you have described just above is exactly how mine behaves (video works as it should).  One other note is that in Manual photo it works as we both would expect it to.  

2020-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules