Caméra quality
3747 21 2020-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_hjxoOpkZkt2P
lvl.1
Flight distance : 458497 ft
France

How i could do pictures with 300dpi.Actually i have 3000*4000 with 72 dpi.
It's like a poor caméra.
300 dpi should be better.

2020-5-16
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

72 dpi is pretty much the de facto standard throughout the imaging world and it only makes sense to change it when you're dealing with absolute measures.

When you change the dpi setting you basically change how dense the pixel count should be in a unit of length. Many graphics programs (especially product bundled) disregard the DPI setting for printing.

If you really need to change the dpi value you could try GIMP... In 25 years of personal prints I've never had to modify more than one picture at once (in a while) and when I've done it wasn't likely a pano but some vector graphic file or some bitmap graphic that I needed to print into a certain size, and the dpi ended up where it was needed... say  80,2 or 458,9 numbers like that.

Anyway... if you really start from scratch and want to have an A4 print set for 300dpi (that equals to 2480 x 3508 px)  you really need some editor like GIMP or Photoshop that supports the dpi settings.
-
Footnote:

dpi: dots per inch, how many dots will be displayed or printed in one inch.
pixel: the smallest unit where a unique intensity value of light can be stored.
To most of us, a hue resulting from a mixing of 255 values of primary colour lights.
Pure red for instance is: red 255, green 0, blue 0; grey is red 128, green 128, blue 128;
pure white is red 255, green 255, blue 255; and finally black is 0,0,0 for each of the primaries.

2020-5-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Forget dpi, it's irrelevant for cameras.
Your camera has 4000 x 3000 resolution - that's all you need to know.

2020-5-16
Use props
gaz74
lvl.1
France

4000X3000 with 72 dpi is like 960X720 with 300dpi.
in reallity, the mavic mini has 0.7 million pixels
for printing 300 dpi is the rules.
with this definition all pictures done with the mavic mini is not printable ...
today, the shipper phone as a better quality than the mavic mini.
i'm very desapointed..
2020-5-16
Use props
ThalisGr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

gaz74 Posted at 5-16 04:39

Mini has a 12mp camera which is poor with today's standard but the quality of the photos are very good overall. An average photo produced with mini is around 6MB which is quite big number and indicates that there is a lot of information there. If you open the file in photoshop you can see that you can easily print an A4 photo in 300dpi and an A3 photos in 240dpi (usually enough for a good qual;ity printing).
2020-5-16
Use props
gaz74
lvl.1
France

I opened it on Photoshop.
I have some noise at 100 ISO..
I think,it' due to the small captor.
If i modified the picture for 300 dpi.
As i told before, the resolution is under one méga pixels...
I could do at 240 dpi but the result will be the same probably.
For a noob, 12 méga pixels could be enought.
But i am a photographer.
As i told ,the chipper phone has 300 dpi today..
I thinked i could do without raw...but no...

2020-5-16
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

In Photoshop you have to modify the dots per inch setting ONLY: you have to DISABLE resample and enter manually the value in the appropriate dpi "resolution" field. But as state above, that is almost useless.

It seems that your understanding of dpi isn't clear enough. The 300 dpi you're claiming don't make the picture any more acute or detailed, it's almost exclusively used for printing and if you don't use it nothing changes... you just get a scaling without knowing the true dpi used.
-

By the way all of my Mavic Mini pictures are 4000x2250, because I've probably chosen the 16:9 aspect ratio instead of the standard 4:3, anyway with this 9Mpix resolution I can make a full resolution print of an A3 paper sheet with a dpi of about 242dpi which is good enough for photo prints. Usually color printers don't resolve much beyond 300dpi and 200dpi is considered the base line for photo printing.

But... if you don't mind too much pixel peeping I could gladly show you that you could print a 70x50 cm print from a Mavic Mini image and from 1 meter you wouldn't be able to tell the diference with one at 300 dpi (fed from an image of appropriate size, not the MM clearly). Pixel peeping is a bad illiness... I have it and I know that.

2020-5-16
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

DPI is only relevant for printing or scanning or possibly video.  For digital photography, resolution is important.  What are you trying to do?
2020-5-16
Use props
gaz74
lvl.1
France

m80116 Posted at 5-16 06:23
In Photoshop you have to modify the dots per inch setting ONLY: you have to DISABLE resample and enter manually the value in the appropriate dpi "resolution" field. But as state above, that is almost useless.

It seems that your understanding of dpi isn't clear enough. The 300 dpi you're claiming don't make the picture any more acute or detailed, it's almost exclusively used for printing and if you don't use it nothing changes... you just get a scaling without knowing the true dpi used.

a picture with resampling automatique on photoshop as you told.as you can see, it's horrible...

2020-5-16
Use props
gaz74
lvl.1
France

m80116 Posted at 5-16 06:23
In Photoshop you have to modify the dots per inch setting ONLY: you have to DISABLE resample and enter manually the value in the appropriate dpi "resolution" field. But as state above, that is almost useless.

if i can't do the sample i have a picture with 0.7 mega pixels...
2020-5-16
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

gaz74 Posted at 5-16 04:39

This is complete nonsense. dpi is mixed up with ppi. A digital image has no dpi. When the image is printed out, the resolution of the image ultimately determines the dpi value, depending on the size of the photo paper. With a resolution of 4000x3000 you get a printout of 141cm x 105cm in 72dpi or a 33.9 x 25.4 cm in 300dpi. A 720p camera is also good enough for a 300dpi printout if the image is printed on a stamp.
2020-5-16
Use props
Bekoal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55984 ft
Belgium

Encore un qui veut le beurre et l'argent du beurre... SI tu es photographe, achète-toi un Mavic 2 pro avec la camera Hasselblad... 3 fois plus cher ! Il y a suffisamment de vidéo (entr'autre de vrais photographes professionnels) sur Youtube pour démontrer la qualité de prise de vue du MM qui est excellente, par rapport à son prix. Ceci dit, les caméras embarquées sur les quadcoptères sont destinée d'abord à la vidéo, pas à la photo. Normal, les drones sont conçus pour bouger, pas pour servir de trépied...
S'il n'y a que la photo qui t'inspire va voir la game Inspire
2020-5-16
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

gaz74 Posted at 5-16 06:56
a picture with resampling automatique on photoshop as you told.as you can see, it's horrible...
[view_image]

You're just "stretching" the amount of pixels that way.... the program already tells you that you go up from 4000 px by 3000 to 16667 px by 12500. YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT.

Disable the Rééchantillonnage and you'll see the image will read 300dpi (if you enter that value) and the pixel count won't change. That will only be used for printing, if you don't scale the picutre.

Changing a dpi value or creating a digital picture with a different dpi value has no change on the final image resolution which is entirely dictated by the amount of pixels (px). You can artificially increase that amount of pixels but you won't gain any detail and your picture will look awfully grainy and mushy at the same time when viewed at 100% ratio (i.e. one image pixel corresponds to one display pixel on your monitor), exactly like the screenshot you've posted.
2020-5-16
Use props
ThalisGr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

gaz74 Posted at 5-16 06:56
a picture with resampling automatique on photoshop as you told.as you can see, it's horrible...
[view_image]

I don't want to be upsetting but you may be a photographer but you have no idea from Photoshop...I mean not even the basics...so please google how to modify settings for printing in Photoshop and then you will see that Mini camera is enough to print a nice A3 photo, which for most of us is enough ;-)
2020-5-16
Use props
gaz74
lvl.1
France

Thanks you for your comments.
We are not agree.
Display at 100% are not very Sharp.
Due to the small sensor.
For me the camera is below one million pixels with 300dpi.
Not enought for pictures and video.
Pictures are ok for a phone display,no more..
This drone is a toy..
2020-5-16
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

gaz74 Posted at 5-16 23:28
We are not agree.

you got it totally wrong, please show me which phone makes 300 dpi pictures, it is a standart 72 dpi in phone cameras, and guess why- sensor in mini is used in phone cameras also, because of its size. My compact camera tops at 180 and is 1' sensor....you can set it to 300 dpi in photoshop when saving the image...for example i am using both photoshop and lightroom with setting of 500 dpi when saving. This is because before i had the habit of printing some photos and i think there was some noticeable difference to the default dpi when printing.

here is a good article that might help you understand - in overall dpi determines the width of the print hence the quality

https://snapshop.cam/dpi/
2020-5-17
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

I'll read your the article you mention @sbonev, concerning dpi I am wondering if some printing service machine wouldn't pick some custom set dpi as a limit.

I mean... say you have an image several million pixels that you want to print on a stamp. There's clearly abundance of pixel, but if you set 200 dpi in the image file is there some mechanism the machine is using to say: I'm not using the resulting downsampling of the 1232 dpi resulting from printing the stamp size, I am sampling the image at 200dpi and print from there.... is this a thing ? Therefore a printing machine capable of 600dpi might end up printing with just 200dpi.
This never happened to me when I was using my old EOS camera that defaulted at 72dpi but... I am wondering if that's a thing.
2020-5-17
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

gaz74 Posted at 5-16 23:28
We are not agree.

I thought about it and I think the other people too, you're right. Everything you can read on the Internet about dpi, ppi and resolution is simply WRONG. Everything written by people who have no idea. I also noticed that the volume and sound quality of the pictures in "72dpi" is weak. And besides, you cannot set the frequencies between 20 Hz and 20000 Hz. When I look at "72dpi" pictures, I get ringing in the ears. Also the pictures are not in Dolby Surround, so all in all not usable.
2020-5-17
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

sbonev Posted at 5-17 01:45
you got it totally wrong, please show me which phone makes 300 dpi pictures, it is a standart 72 dpi in phone cameras, and guess why- sensor in mini is used in phone cameras also, because of its size. My compact camera tops at 180 and is 1' sensor....you can set it to 300 dpi in photoshop when saving the image...for example i am using both photoshop and lightroom with setting of 500 dpi when saving. This is because before i had the habit of printing some photos and i think there was some noticeable difference to the default dpi when printing.

here is a good article that might help you understand - in overall dpi determines the width of the print hence the quality

This is because before i had the habit of printing some photos and i think there was some noticeable difference to the default dpi when printing.

That would be unlogical. As said before, the format of the printout determines the dpi value and finally the quality on paper.

Rule of thumb:
The number of pixels divided by a hundred roughly gives the output format in centimeters, which can still be printed out well (with 300 dpi).

2020-5-17
Use props
ulfw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 281381 ft
Turkey

You guys are all falling for a clear troll.

Claims he is a photographer, has no clue how photos are made out of pixels ("dots").
2020-5-17
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

m80116 Posted at 5-17 02:56
I'll read your the article you mention @sbonev, concerning dpi I am wondering if some printing service machine wouldn't pick some custom set dpi as a limit.

I mean... say you have an image several million pixels that you want to print on a stamp. There's clearly abundance of pixel, but if you set 200 dpi in the image file is there some mechanism the machine is using to say: I'm not using the resulting downsampling of the 1232 dpi resulting from printing the stamp size, I am sampling the image at 200dpi and print from there.... is this a thing ? Therefore a printing machine capable of 600dpi might end up printing with just 200dpi.

There are physical limits how many dots can each printer print per inch like 600 or 1200. So You can not print higher res than the printer supports.
2020-5-17
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Gentlemen I understand what you're saying but consider my last question to settle your argument.

Is there some printing machine that reading for example 72dpi in a picture works like this: I am capable of printing a max. resolution of 600 dpi, I have to print a 12 mpix image that would result in 1500dpi printed into this stamp, but the file is set at 72dpi... I am not going to use my maximum 600dpi print resolution sampling all the 1500dpi from the picture, I am going to print at 72dpi !! No idea how, whether sampling just 72dpi or effectively printing (from the head) 72dpi.

I mean... if a customer wants a low dpi print to test out something or create some fuzzy printing effect let him have it... NO ? Perhaps @sbonev found such printing machine... I don't know.
2020-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules