Air Unit and Goggles signal problem, radio fine?
8339 18 2020-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kyleli
lvl.1

United States

Hi!
I just got into FPV and this amazing hobby and decided to start out with DJI, however I'm running into a really big problem - I'm getting absolutely abysmal signal on my DJI FPV Goggles. I get a maximum of 2 bars when the quad is just 5 feet away from me and thinking that it was just an overheating issue, I flew it which resulted in me loosing VTX after less than 15ft and crashing. I know this definitely shouldn't be the case, and my radio signal connection is showing up as full so I don't think its an issue with antennas. Does anyone have any ideas? All of the antennas are screwed in and tight on the goggles, I've got adequete power, I checked to make sure everything was on the right firmware (I did have some issues with getting the goggles to update, where I had to downgrade to a lower firmware version and then upgrade because I lost power during the upgrade the first time, which meant it failed).

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem? I really want to fly but as of currently I cant even get my quad a safe distance from me and get video.

Thanks!
2020-5-17
Use props
arnasnngmail.com
lvl.3

Lithuania

The air unit antennas just click in, are they all the way in ? are all your antennas connected properly ?
2020-5-17
Use props
kyleli
lvl.1

United States

arnasnngmail.com Posted at 5-17 07:29
The air unit antennas just click in, are they all the way in ? are all your antennas connected properly ?

Yep, they are all in properly. Double checked to make sure. I'm getting strong signal on my DJI radio though, so I assumed it didnt have much to do with that. How badly is the VTX signal affected by wifi? I'm flying in a fairly wifi dense area - but being limited to less than like 100 feet is really bizzare. Turning off energy management did help a little (not sure if it has anything to do with placebo) but still at 700mw I drop to 1 bar flying less than 100 feet away.
2020-5-18
Use props
murphy333
lvl.1

Germany

kyleli Posted at 5-18 16:34
Yep, they are all in properly. Double checked to make sure. I'm getting strong signal on my DJI radio though, so I assumed it didnt have much to do with that. How badly is the VTX signal affected by wifi? I'm flying in a fairly wifi dense area - but being limited to less than like 100 feet is really bizzare. Turning off energy management did help a little (not sure if it has anything to do with placebo) but still at 700mw I drop to 1 bar flying less than 100 feet away.

I have exactly the same issue. Even tho there are no wifis in near. Completely open and object-free field. Clear sight and after a 100m the signal drops extremely. Everything is setted up correctly. I also tried every kind of changing the settings..
2020-5-21
Use props
kyleli
lvl.1

United States

murphy333 Posted at 5-21 07:30
I have exactly the same issue. Even tho there are no wifis in near. Completely open and object-free field. Clear sight and after a 100m the signal drops extremely. Everything is setted up correctly. I also tried every kind of changing the settings..

Yeah its really disappointing tbh, it makes these completely unflyable as I dont have the confidence to fly further than the width of a small room

Im wondering if I messed something up in betaflight but I cant find anything wrong after days of troubleshooting. As a last resort im considering replacing all of the antennas on the air unit and the goggles, it could be a faulty connection.
2020-5-21
Use props
murphy333
lvl.1

Germany

kyleli Posted at 5-21 11:35
Yeah its really disappointing tbh, it makes these completely unflyable as I dont have the confidence to fly further than the width of a small room

Im wondering if I messed something up in betaflight but I cant find anything wrong after days of troubleshooting. As a last resort im considering replacing all of the antennas on the air unit and the goggles, it could be a faulty connection.

I have an open ticket related to that. I was considering the same.. some faulty settings or broken antennas. But I replaced the antennas already and have every setting checked up and I tried every advice that I could find in more than 10 hrs of research.

I expect that dji produced a bunch of faulty air units.

And I totally agree.. it is not fun if you get instantly a huge latency while flying. The entire system feels super weak.

As soon as I have got an answer from DJI i will let you know. But I am already waiting 4 days for an answer.. so don't expect a solution in the close future
2020-5-22
Use props
mc54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

What power setting are you guys using? If its 25mw, then that could explain it.  Bump it up to 700mw in the power settings menu in the goggles.

Then research how to do the 1200mw hack for even more power.
2020-5-22
Use props
kyleli
lvl.1

United States

murphy333 Posted at 5-22 06:07
I have an open ticket related to that. I was considering the same.. some faulty settings or broken antennas. But I replaced the antennas already and have every setting checked up and I tried every advice that I could find in more than 10 hrs of research.

I expect that dji produced a bunch of faulty air units.

Hey!

So I think I figured out my own problem. Turns out there was a little bit of gunk stuck inside of the air unit. Not sure if this was what it was since I tried a lot of different things e.g. rotating my antennas on the goggles etc. but clearing out the gunk and making sure the antennas were fully clicked into the air unit might have been what fixed it for me... I guess I was running off of only 1 antenna this entire time which must have been frying the heck out of my air unit. No wonder it got so hot so quick all the time.
2020-5-23
Use props
kyleli
lvl.1

United States

I'm getting great range even in a wifi heavy zone. I've only flown about 1000 ft out so far (0.2ish miles) but its a lot better now than I had before! Flying got a lot more fun and less stressful now that im not contained within a tiny 100ft zone. If you had a similar issue as I did, try checking that there's nothing blocking your air unit's connectors and making sure you only plug your lipo in when you're about to arm.
2020-5-23
Use props
murphy333
lvl.1

Germany

mc54 Posted at 5-22 11:28
What power setting are you guys using? If its 25mw, then that could explain it.  Bump it up to 700mw in the power settings menu in the goggles.

Then research how to do the 1200mw hack for even more power.
Was running it on every power without any real improvement.

@kyleli:

I will have a look on that! Maybe there is something I have missed.. Happy to hear that your Unit works great now!
2020-5-23
Use props
murphy333
lvl.1

Germany

kyleli Posted at 5-23 10:48
I'm getting great range even in a wifi heavy zone. I've only flown about 1000 ft out so far (0.2ish miles) but its a lot better now than I had before! Flying got a lot more fun and less stressful now that im not contained within a tiny 100ft zone. If you had a similar issue as I did, try checking that there's nothing blocking your air unit's connectors and making sure you only plug your lipo in when you're about to arm.

After your hint I started to clean everything. Meanwhile I ripped my atenna without any force apart. So one of my antennas was broken all the time. Luckily I've had a spare antenna here.

Everything works fine now! Really impressive and lots of fun! :-)

Thank you!
2020-5-25
Use props
kyleli
lvl.1

United States

murphy333 Posted at 5-25 08:30
After your hint I started to clean everything. Meanwhile I ripped my atenna without any force apart. So one of my antennas was broken all the time. Luckily I've had a spare antenna here.

Everything works fine now! Really impressive and lots of fun! :-)

Oh man yeah that'd do it haha. I guess if one of the antennas is down/broken/not connected properly, then you'll still get range but just really badly.
2020-5-25
Use props
fans18992d4c
lvl.2
China

I have range issue too, but im positive that in my case, it is not the antenna. i even bought a new air unit and the dji suggested frame that come with 3d print antenna holder. both drone can't fly any further than 70meters away. I have also check the firmware, the "auto temp control" and "max power", but nothing seems to help. (
2020-6-24
Use props
kyleli
lvl.1

United States

fans18992d4c Posted at 6-24 03:38
I have range issue too, but im positive that in my case, it is not the antenna. i even bought a new air unit and the dji suggested frame that come with 3d print antenna holder. both drone can't fly any further than 70meters away. I have also check the firmware, the "auto temp control" and "max power", but nothing seems to help. (

It seems that it might be an issue with the antennas on your goggles! Have you tried getting replacements or upgrading? I'm also going to check my antennas because one of mine seems to be rattling when I shake it, I dont know if thats normal.
2020-6-24
Use props
fans18992d4c
lvl.2
China

kyleli Posted at 6-24 07:07
It seems that it might be an issue with the antennas on your goggles! Have you tried getting replacements or upgrading? I'm also going to check my antennas because one of mine seems to be rattling when I shake it, I dont know if thats normal.

not only i replaced the antenna, i even bought the recommended frame that come with 3d print antenna holder and a new air unit too. like i mentioned. i checked FCC, auto temp control, max power to 1200mV, tried all.
2020-6-25
Use props
kyleli
lvl.1

United States

fans18992d4c Posted at 6-25 18:21
not only i replaced the antenna, i even bought the recommended frame that come with 3d print antenna holder and a new air unit too. like i mentioned. i checked FCC, auto temp control, max power to 1200mV, tried all.

I meant more of did you check if the antennas on your goggles themselves are damaged or properly screwed in? Check if theres any residue inside of the screws. It definitely sounds like a goggle issue if you replaced your air unit. I also have a transtec laser HD frame and it works flawlessly with it.
2020-6-25
Use props
fans18992d4c
lvl.2
China

kyleli Posted at 6-25 18:41
I meant more of did you check if the antennas on your goggles themselves are damaged or properly screwed in? Check if theres any residue inside of the screws. It definitely sounds like a goggle issue if you replaced your air unit. I also have a transtec laser HD frame and it works flawlessly with it.

hi Kyleli, if it's the antenna issue on the goggle, why remote control also lost signal? both remote control and goggle lost signal at the same time, same distance. i'm sure it's not the antenna issue since yesterday i carefully cleaned it and made sure it's clicked all the way in. i even tested it by disconnecting the cable from flight controller except power cable, and the result was slightly improved, like 5-10 meters further only. one thing i'm so frustrated about is it can go about the same distance for CE or FCC, 25mV or up to 1200mV, and "auto temp control" on or off.
2020-6-25
Use props
Graphiti
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1535138 ft
United States

I am/was having the same issue, my Mavic Pro connects to my DJI Racing goggles just fine, however my DJI FPV air system connects, but is high latency, blocky and disconnects constantly.  It'll work a maximum of 30 seconds, then drop and may or may not reconnect to do that same thing again and again.    I have updated the firmware on my goggles to the latest version and the FPV Air system is the latest version as well.  

After I put an ice pack on it, the issue was gone.  Turns out it was overheating, which sucks because I am using it as an fpv system for my remote control rock crawler!  Now I need to add a fan for air flow and hopefully eliminate the problem.  
2020-9-24
Use props
fans9c7ab1d5
lvl.1

United States

Hi guys. I've heard of this issue before. Joshua Bardwell has addressed it and hopefully this helps. https://youtu.be/t6CBYsfmBsk. If the link doesn't work, just search "DJI no range" and you should see it.
2022-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules