NEW >>>>Charging hub???
2742 15 2015-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJeff1
lvl.2

United States

Basically, all it does is stop you from having to unplug and plug in your next battery until all 4 batteries are charged.

http://store.dji.com/product/inspire1-battery-charging-hub
2015-6-16
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Seems like it might be quite useful for getting them all charged overnight.

They've posted the manual online here: http://download.dji-innovations. ... _Manual_v1.0_en.pdf
2015-6-16
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Definitely a nice travelling option.  Any word on it's weight?
2015-6-16
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Just looked at this.  

My first impressions were great, but then I read that it only chargers one battery at a time then moves onto the next battery with the most charge remaining etc. etc. until all charged.  Like Pete suggests, may be good for overnight charging, however that in itself is a potential danger as you wouldn't be keeping an eye on the batteries whilst charging for safety reasons.  So I am struggling to see the benefit of this unless I am missing something?

2015-6-16
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-6-17 05:09
Just looked at this.  

My first impressions were great, but then I read that it only chargers one b ...

Thanks for sharing I was unaware that it only charged on battery at a time.
2015-6-17
Use props
pops52
lvl.2

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-6-16 21:58
Seems like it might be quite useful for getting them all charged overnight.

They've posted the manu ...

Yes but you would need to sleep with one eye open.

I like the fact that they can charge sequentially unattended, but I don't know if I trust lipos enough to get a good nights sleep with them cooking on a charger. Maybe I'm just a scaredy cat.
90 bucks seems a little steep too.
2015-6-17
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-6-17 05:09
I read that it only chargers one battery at a time then moves onto the next battery with the most charge remaining etc. etc. until all charged.

Since it uses the original charger as the power supply, that's really all it can do.  After all,  the power supply can only source the power it was designed to deliver, and that is only enough to charge a single battery (and not even simultaneously charge the controller without overheating).  To simultaneously charge all four batteries requires an enormous power source (which is why the third-party quad charger has an MSRP of $500).  In fairness to DJI these are huge capacity batteries compared to most rechargeable batteries people are used to and it takes a really beefy supply to recharge them.

My own solution, early on, was to buy two additional DJI chargers and use them all simultaneously.
2015-6-17
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

PeteGould Posted at 2015-6-17 20:03
Since it uses the original charger as the power supply, that's really all it can do.  After all,  t ...

Pete,

I think your right, the best solution would be to get two of the new chargers then just charge two batteries at the same time, then you don't have to leave them unattended for safety reasons.
2015-6-17
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-6-17 22:39
Pete,

I think your right, the best solution would be to get two of the new chargers then just cha ...

It has worked great for me - three chargers and I have four TB48s and 1 TB47 (the original one supplied with the aircraft).  So in two rounds I get all the batteries plus the remote charged.  Works perfectly.

On the other hand I do understand why the hub they're selling costs $90 and it's ingenious in its way.  It has to sense which battery has the highest charge, it has to have a high-current switcher to divert the power to the correct port, it has to have logic that determines the battery has been fully charged and then seeks another waiting battery, and it has to be able to channel firmware updates to each battery in turn as well.  Not an insignificant bit of electronics.  There's definitely something to be said for it in the right application.
2015-6-17
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2015-6-18
Use props
DJI-Bruce
lvl.2

Hong Kong

PeteGould Posted at 2015-6-18 03:28
It has worked great for me - three chargers and I have four TB48s and 1 TB47 (the original one sup ...

Pete,
you got quite a good understanding of our charger hub. But I have to point out it can not help upgrade the battery's firmware. We may try to integrate this feature into future versions of the charge hub. This could help users who have multiple batteries to upgrade batteries at once. Great idea.
2015-6-18
Use props
DJI-Bruce
lvl.2

Hong Kong

w1der Posted at 2015-6-18 16:04
**** The posts are shielded ****

Good idea. Over night charging is quite attractive.
2015-6-18
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Bruce Posted at 2015-6-18 16:42
Pete,
you got quite a good understanding of our charger hub. But I have to point out it can not he ...

Hey Bruce,

My mistake.  The manual refers to the hub as having a mini USB port for firmware upgrades.  I had mistakenly read that as meaning it was for the battery firmware.  It is instead for updating the charging hub's firmware.  I stand corrected.

Pete
2015-6-18
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Kazakhstan

w1der Posted at 2015-6-18 16:04
**** The posts are shielded ****

Key word is safety ... hjm ...

I totally see this as part of my equipment in the future as I invest in more batteries ...
With 4 batteries charged over night it would cover all my needs for the next day (currently).
If you had 2 of these setups you would have 8 batteries good to go in the morning.

I am fine by having a fire detector close by to alert me if something goes wrong ... and of course I keep the batteries away from any material that is easily burnable (curtains and such).
I wouldn´t charge the batteries and go to far away from them anyways ...

A nice addition to this would be a fire proof case that can fit 4 batteries 1 hub and the power supply!
2015-6-18
Use props
al
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2210738 ft
United Kingdom

It says I should update the firmware on the hub.  The instructions from DJI give a link to the software but its a link to the inspire 1 bin file.  Doesn't work.  So how does one update the charging hub firmware?  

Al
2015-7-18
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anybody know how long it will take to charge off work batteries to its fullest
2015-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules