USB-C to USB-C connect drone to mac (not working)
19830 19 2020-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mjolsen
lvl.1

United States

So I have most of my stuff now USB-C.   I tried connecting the drone directly to the mac with a USB-C cable (USB-C / USB-C) and no go.   Use any USB-C to Type A and it works fine (with an adapter of course).   

I've tried macbook pro USB-C cable as I read in other threads but no go.   Tried four different ones around the house as well as the USB-C/USB-C short that is for the controller to device.

I've read about Device to Host but that doesn't apply in C to C type cables.

Any ideas?

thanks,
mike
2020-5-18
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not all USB C to USB C cables are equal.  I use the Cable that came with my iPad Pro 12.9 inch and it works fine.
2020-5-18
Use props
mjolsen
lvl.1

United States

BobWinNV Posted at 5-18 17:01
Not all USB C to USB C cables are equal.  I use the Cable that came with my iPad Pro 12.9 inch and it works fine.

from Drone to Mac or drone controller to iPad?   I have same apple usb-c cable for my iPad pro too and does not connect my MacBook pro to the drone.
2020-5-18
Use props
Hotrod in Daytona
lvl.3
United States

Make sure the cable supports Thunderport3
2020-5-18
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have had no success to date. I have responded by using a USB hub that has a USB 2.0 port and then using that to connect to drone using the supplied DJI cable.
2020-5-18
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have had no success to date. I have responded by using a USB hub that has a USB 2.0 port and then using that to connect to drone using the supplied DJI cable.
2020-5-18
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I ran into the same issue. USB-C to USB-C for Mac seems to work fine with my M2P. But it does not recognize MA2. What I had to do is that I used my Smart Controller USB - USB-C and it worked.

To get DJI Assistant for Mavic to recognize the MA2, I updated the software to the newer version (by downloading it directly DJI website) and used the Smart Controller cable and it worked fine.

2020-5-18
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's the problem with USB-C. It relies entirely on peer-to-peer handshaking instead of hardware configuration. Doesn't always go well.
2020-5-18
Use props
monstermac77
lvl.2
United States

I have the same problem here. I'm rather surprised by this. I had a Mavic Air and was able to use my Macbook Pro's USB-C to USB-C charging cable to pull photos off of the drone without even having to pull out the SD card. Now with my Mavic Air 2, this cable doesn't work.

Could this be resolved by a future firmware update on the Mavic Air 2? Would love some input/our feedback forwarded by one of the DJI forum admins.
2020-6-4
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same issue here.  I can connect the MA2 remote no problem with the MacBook Pro cable the computer came with but on the quad itself? nope!.  Can not even connect to pull off photos/videos.  Tried the cable (USB-C to USB-C) that came with the package and still a no go.  Is mine broken right out of the box?  I have a Mavic Pro 2 and I have never had any issues.  DJI, you want to commit on this thread, please?  What is the issue?
2020-6-4
Use props
djiuser_3hMRmqgxjclf
New

United States

My USB-C to USB-C would not work on Windows 10, no trigger at all.  I have a USB-C to USB-A adapter that is connected to a USB-A hub built in to my Dell monitor.  When I connect a USB-A to USB-C cable from the hub to the MA2 bingo.  Lights right up.
2020-6-13
Use props
Scott7911
New

United States

Same problem here. My MA2 transfers fine if I use a USB 3 port on my 2018 Mac Mini connected to the MA2 USB-C port with an adapter cable. Files transfer at about 2 GB per minute. If I use a USB-C cable connected directly between the Mac and MA2 , the Mac doesn't even see the MA2.

The Mac has had other USB-C things connected to the same port and data transfers at high speed (40GPS).

I called Apple and they said I should contact DJI

Any Ideas
2020-8-1
Use props
fans433a290f
New

United States

I have the same problem. The supplied USB to USB-C cable works with an USB to USB-C adapter, but if I try to use (multiple) USB-C to USB-C cables, the MA2 does not connect. This seems to be a DJI firmware problem that NEEDS to be fixed.
2020-8-16
Use props
outsider
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11263 ft
Turkey

I tried to use the USB-C cable which is using for charging the remote controller and it helped me to solve the issue for my Macbook.
2020-8-16
Use props
TropoBone
lvl.1

Japan

New MA2 user in Japan here. Same issue. Tried connecting my MA2 direct to my MacBookPro13,1 (13-inch, Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports, macOS Catalina 10.15.6) to download from the 8GB onboard storage. Nothing. The MA2 did not come up in Finder or in Terminal.  I used the Mavic supplied USB-C/USB-C cable, then the MacBook cable, then the cable connecting my USB-C external drive. Them's all DATA cables with USB-C both ends. Nothing. Nada.Luckily I had an older MacBookAir5,2 (13-inch, Mid 2012) running macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) in a drawer. Used the USB-A/USB-C cable that came with my Fly More Combo kit. Boom! MA2 onboard 8GB visible as "Untitled" device in Finder. 7.4GB footage downloaded directly to the 'vintage' laptop in 3 minutes.
The problem is not the USB-C cables.
The problem is the USB-C implementation in the Mavic Air 2.
Disappointed.
2016 onward MBP's are H.265 codec and USB-C only.
Pre-2016 Macbooks are H.264 only.
MA2 boasts H.265 as a selling point. How come I gotta dig out an 8 year old laptop with a legacy OS to get my files outta my latest-and-greatest consumer drone?
Huh?
Please fix it, DJI.

2020-8-17
Use props
B737ng
lvl.3
Flight distance : 297106 ft
Ireland

Same problem and I already posted this. Brand new macbook pro and my Air 2 will not connect at all. Its not even recognized by the mac.

This is my second Air2.

The first Air 2 I had ( before it crashed) it would connect to mac no problems, but the new one i received it will not. I suspect this is some firmware issue.
2020-8-17
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dronespilot Posted at 2020-5-18 19:10
I ran into the same issue. USB-C to USB-C for Mac seems to work fine with my M2P. But it does not recognize MA2. What I had to do is that I used my Smart Controller USB - USB-C and it worked.

To get DJI Assistant for Mavic to recognize the MA2, I updated the software to the newer version (by downloading it directly DJI website) and used the Smart Controller cable and it worked fine.

There is now a DJI Assistant (Consumer Products ) for the Mavic Air 2 and DJI Air 2S.  Update to that for connection to the drone and controller.
Anyone have any specs on the DJI cable for DJI Air 2S or DJI Mavic Air 2?   C 3.0 or 3.1, Generation 2?, Speed of data transfer?
2021-5-2
Use props
fansd89471c7
New
United States

I successfully connected my mini 2 to my macbook using the supplied (short) cable (usb c to usb c). But now on my second try it's not working. Tried swapping cables, ports... nothing works. What's up with this?
2021-6-18
Use props
fansd89471c7
New
United States

fansd89471c7 Posted at 6-18 10:53
I successfully connected my mini 2 to my macbook using the supplied (short) cable (usb c to usb c). But now on my second try it's not working. Tried swapping cables, ports... nothing works. What's up with this?

Looks like user error. I had the drone off. Works now with the power on...
2021-6-18
Use props
djiuser_H3QG5uXP6elY
New

United Kingdom

was having the same problem with a quality usb c to usb c and also the cable that came with my ipad pro 11.  Refreshed firmware on both the drone and remote using the assistant and also checked for updates on the ipad and there was a small one that didnt seem related but updated anyway.  now both wires work no matter which way round.  hope this help as this has been frustrating for me for the last 2 weeks!At first didnt realise to update the remote you have to connect the cable at the bottom of the remote and not the top.
Also have noted that it does take about 10 seconds for the ipad to recognise the remote.
And now its stopped working again!!!
2021-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules