poor controller video performance / signal loss Phantom 4 Pro
1142 9 2020-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
billnelson
lvl.2
United States

I've been flying Phantom 3 and 4 aircraft for commercial clients for a number of years. Very infrequently I've experienced loss of signal or poor video performance at the outer edges of the equipment envelope (distance, battery) but now experience this issue with every flight. I've combed the DJI forums, the WWW, Youtube for solutions and have not had success. My setup has not changed, only the results I now unfortunately experience. I do update to the latest firmware and software with each release, so I may have introduced this deal-breaking issue in that way.

I integrated all the attempted mitigations I was able to uncover. Video caching is turned off, Airport Mode is selected on my iOS devices (iPhone 8s and iPad mini 4, both with 128 gig of storage - both less than half full storage-wise) and all apps except DJI Go are completely closed. I've set video to the 2.4 GHz range, even tried specific channels, but to no avail.

I understand that a CPU monitoring feature was implemented in the latest iteration of the DJI Go app. I can only suggest that this implementation, along with perhaps other unknown changes in the code, has rendered my very capable money-making aerial system nearly useless for professional applications.

I understand that DJI is under very close scrutiny here in the USA, but the needs of customers ought to be paramount to a company that MUST have happy customers as advocates. I've been a very pleased DJI customer until my system became unsuable for paying clients. I'll gladly entertain any suggestions to resolve this unfortunate issue.
2020-5-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

You are not providing much in the way of helpful detail, but I am guessing the video is breaking up when you are flying. Are you aware that if you are shooting video, then the video recorded to the SD card in the aircraft will be OK, it is only the feed you are seeing that is affected?

And it is not unusual for this to happen, particularly if you are flying in an urban environment. This is because the control channels used by the drone are shared with thousands of other devices. Most particularly home WiFi, but also, and not limited to, garage door openers, baby monitors, security cameras etc. The list is almost endless. And there is nothing that DJI can do about this, it is not under their control.

2020-5-18
Use props
billnelson
lvl.2
United States

I’m completely clear on the functionality of the recording. What has changed drastically since this latest upgrade is the ability I have to control the aircraft because I am unable to see the aircraft’s perspective sufficiently during flight.

I’m also aware that these devices are sharing spectrum with other transmitters, etc. Your assertion that spectrum interference is to blame does not fly (pardon the pun) as these video transmission issues are experienced while in desolate terrain. As mentioned in my post, I’ve been flying these devices for four or five years in similar locations across the US. How did this problem not occur until this last 6 months?!  Your facile dismissal of a well-documented issue does not help. And your shielding of DJI’s part in this matter is disingenuous.
2020-5-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

billnelson@nelsonmedia.com Posted at 5-18 19:26
I’m completely clear on the functionality of the recording. What has changed drastically since this latest upgrade is the ability I have to control the aircraft because I am unable to see the aircraft’s perspective sufficiently during flight.

I’m also aware that these devices are sharing spectrum with other transmitters, etc. Your assertion that spectrum interference is to blame does not fly (pardon the pun) as these video transmission issues are experienced while in desolate terrain. As mentioned in my post, I’ve been flying these devices for four or five years in similar locations across the US. How did this problem not occur until this last 6 months?!  Your facile dismissal of a well-documented issue does not help. And your shielding of DJI’s part in this matter is disingenuous.

I bow to your superior knowledge of the subject.
2020-5-18
Use props
billnelsonnelsonmedia.com
lvl.2
United States

Wow. Keep it classy, DJI
2020-5-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Hmm, I am not from DJI, far from it, but just in case you did not recognise the phrase, it is basically a FU to you.
2020-5-18
Use props
G_man_kam
lvl.1
Canada

I too have been experiencing the same issues. I've owned a p4 pro for 4 years and have always flown in the same places/settings. etc. I started flying again a few weeks ago (Winter too cold to fly here). Did all updates and since then I'm getting constant remote signal weak errors, my video feed breaks up (never used to happen). I've been very frustrated as I couldn't find anything/anyone  on the net reporting similar issues. Will keep checking thread for any updates
2020-5-19
Use props
lvl.2
United States

Wow. Keep it classy, DJI
2020-5-19
Use props
lvl.2
United States

G_man_kam Posted at 5-19 02:14
I too have been experiencing the same issues. I've owned a p4 pro for 4 years and have always flown in the same places/settings. etc. I started flying again a few weeks ago (Winter too cold to fly here). Did all updates and since then I'm getting constant remote signal weak errors, my video feed breaks up (never used to happen). I've been very frustrated as I couldn't find anything/anyone  on the net reporting similar issues. Will keep checking thread for any updates

G-man, please let me know if you find anything. I will keep searching as well. Not pleased with these developments.
2020-5-19
Use props
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-18 22:22
Hmm, I am not from DJI, far from it, but just in case you did not recognise the phrase, it is basically a FU to you.

I wonder if G_man_kam is suddenly flying in a spectrum-challenged environment after all these years. Must be a trend...
2020-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules