Mavic Air 2 a bee killer??
4510 13 2020-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
janbengun
New
Germany

Yesterday I did my second flight. I picked a wide green with small bushes and trees arround. As soon as my drone started, about two dozen wild bees where after it trying to attack. The swarm followed my drone and I decided to land. The back of my drone was covered with parts of dead bees, some bees were laying arround dying. As soon as the motor stopped my drone was not of any interest to the bees any more.

I posted the incident in a german facebook group for the Air 2 and found out that nearly everybody in that group (800 users) had such experiences with wild bees and the Air 2. That would mean we kill some hundred thousand bees every day with our drones.

It seems to be a motor frequency problem. It is the typical sound of an Air 2 that makes the bees attack it. Never heard abot that with other drones! I think dji should test that and try to change the frequency with an update to the motor or with a change of the rotor blades. I don´t want to kill bees that are getting rare anyway.

Sorry for my English but I am German.

2020-5-18
Use props
HurleyBird Productions
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is crazy to hear. I haven't had any bee issues with my Phantom or Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro 2 with bee's. I think this might be useful to test out to see if you are correct about the frequency. Hopefully other users on here can add their experience with this happening and what country they are from to see if its a local thing or not.
2020-5-19
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had this issue with the Autel EVO, Mavic Mini, M2, and Mavic Air.
2020-5-20
Use props
NatureDigital
First Officer
Flight distance : 373002 ft
United States

I have had this problem once with a Husband drone. It must have had the same sound as the Mavic Air 2
2020-5-22
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1307795 ft
  • >>>
Canada

NatureDigital Posted at 5-22 10:51
I have had this problem once with a Husband drone. It must have had the same sound as the Mavic Air 2

I have a similar experience only with a mavic pro 2. The hummingbird  attracted to the buzzing. . My last fly bring out 15-20 birds
2020-5-26
Use props
NatureDigital
First Officer
Flight distance : 373002 ft
United States

Beckie Posted at 5-26 20:37
I have a similar experience only with a mavic pro 2. The hummingbird  attracted to the buzzing. . My last fly bring out 15-20 birds

Wow, that's unfortunate
2020-5-27
Use props
Beckie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1307795 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Luckily i dont kill any of the sweet birds.
2020-5-27
Use props
fans30ca36b4
New
Flight distance : 719 ft
Australia

This just happened to me with my mini 2. I feel so bad for the bees. I landed the drone and didn't try to fly it again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTDwVCwdNNg&ab_channel=dasiths
2021-3-29
Use props
djiuser_AGqXZCo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 974918 ft

United States

Everyone stop eating honey bbq before flying!
2021-7-5
Use props
ropate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 856847 ft
Fiji

Oh wow, that's terrible. I've used my various drones around my backyard beehives with never any interest from the bees.

I was looking at a new purchase too. Would be super interested in any feedback from Djimon frequency tests and or changes.
2021-7-6
Use props
Djimaniac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5821801 ft
  • >>>
United States

I havent notice bee's with my air 2....but, it makes sense  because drones do sound like a swarm of bee,s.
2021-7-8
Use props
ditz21
New

Malaysia

oh no - poor bees! sad but interesting to note so perhaps its an issue that dji would address in the future. my mini 2 just got attacked by a crow out of nowhere at about 15m, sending it to crash and bounce off a couple of house roofs. hope the crow is ok cos the drone broke all arms
2021-8-24
Use props
djiuser_7rtMOUVL76Ot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 385187 ft
United States

Never a problem with bee's or hummingbirds but had a buzzard getting to close for my comfort.. followed my air 2 all the way back to me..
2021-8-30
Use props
Yellowcube777
New
United States

Omg…. Yeah, this definitely not ok.  Especially if they are honey bees.  DJI needs to get some people on this and figure out if it’s a frequency thing.  Harming nature for recreational purposes seems really…..horrible.  I love my drone, but this makes me sad.
2021-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules