Mavic Air 2 sequential file naming
7427 38 2020-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4a717b1c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 114872 ft
Australia

I am a newbie, only flown a few times so far.  But have found that each time I download files the file numbers start back at 001 after each time I format the SD card. I can't find how to change this setting to continuous.  Please help...
2020-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If the Fly app is anything like the Go app, you go into the camera settings and change the File Index Mode to Continuous instead of Reset
2020-5-19
Use props
Hotrod in Daytona
lvl.3
United States

Doesn't appear to exist in the Fly app
2020-5-19
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

It happens when you format the SD card. I am not sure if there's another solution to it, but I don't format the card unless I need to do a backup.
2020-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Hotrod in Daytona Posted at 5-19 03:15
Doesn't appear to exist in the Fly app

It's here in the Go app, it's here:
Index Mode.jpg
2020-5-19
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-19 03:44
It's here in the Go app, it's here:[Image]

Mavic Air 2 uses DJI Fly App instead of DJI go 4.
2020-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dronespilot Posted at 5-19 04:01
Mavic Air 2 uses DJI Fly App instead of DJI go 4.

Is that so?
Really ??
I'd have never guessed.

Read my first post
2020-5-19
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

We know it exists in the DJI go 4. The asked question was if it’s in the fly app.
2020-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dronespilot Posted at 5-19 04:24
We know it exists in the DJI go 4. The asked question was if it’s in the fly app.

We know it exists in the DJI go 4.
You might, genius, but I was responding to the OP and post #3.
2020-5-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, once the SD card is formatted, the file numbers will start back at 001, sorry to say that this can't be changed to continuous. But,  we have forwarded this request to the engineers for consideration, hope it can be added in the future.
2020-5-19
Use props
Hotrod in Daytona
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 5-19 05:19
Hi there, once the SD card is formatted, the file numbers will start back at 001, sorry to say that this can't be changed to continuous. But,  we have forwarded this request to the engineers for consideration, hope it can be added in the future.

So your saying if we leave the last file on the card and move the others to our PC , it should continue the numbering sequence?  Seems like a simple workaround.
2020-5-19
Use props
fans37969c63
lvl.1
Australia

Labroides Posted at 5-19 02:36
If the Fly app is anything like the Go app, you go into the camera settings and change the File Index Mode to Continuous instead of Reset

Thanks for response :-), but unfortunately the DJI Fly app doesn't allow this to be changed.
2020-5-19
Use props
fans37969c63
lvl.1
Australia

Hi there, once the SD card is formatted, the file numbers will start back at 001, sorry to say that this can't be changed to continuous. But,  we have forwarded this request to the engineers for consideration, hope it can be added in the future.

Thanks for response, yes appreciate if this change can be considered.
2020-5-19
Use props
Haggi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

Hotrod in Daytona Posted at 5-19 15:13
So your saying if we leave the last file on the card and move the others to our PC , it should continue the numbering sequence?  Seems like a simple workaround.

This is correct... just place any dummy jpg file there with the "new" number..
In DJI Go 4 I move a jpg to the correct sd-card folder, and name it DJI_0129.JPG.
Next photo will be named DJI_0130.JPG...
2020-5-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hotrod in Daytona Posted at 5-19 15:13
So your saying if we leave the last file on the card and move the others to our PC , it should continue the numbering sequence?  Seems like a simple workaround.

Correct, if the SD card hasn't been formatted or replaced, the files will continue the numbering sequence.
2020-5-20
Use props
fhkrueger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 135636 ft
Australia

This seems to big a HUGE over sight !

The Mavic Mini can number sequentially but not the newer Mavic Air 2.

They both use the DJI Fly app.

Sequential numbering is a basic operation of nearly every digital camera made.

What was DJI thinking !
2020-5-20
Use props
djiuser_MaaRAlB1szho
New

Germany

It is very embarrassing that this feature wasn't there from day 0. and you shouldn't consider it in the future. You should update it right the f**** now! Just add the mavic air 2 to the dji go 4 app!!!!!!! I feel like an amateur with the fly app. Is the mavic air for childs to play and never edit with it in premiere pro or similar programs at all?! sorry but WTF DJI ?!
2020-6-19
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

fans4a7171b1c,

Your suggestion is noted in the list of DJI Fly App improvements: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=216584

Mirek
2020-6-19
Use props
mikeferrarime.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 366522 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

Hello Natalia, the truth is incomprehensible that it does not have this functionality, it is very uncomfortable and difficult to order the files if every time we format it restarts to zero, please solve it as soon as possible, thank you very much.
2020-9-1
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

mikeferrarime.com Posted at 9-1 10:14
Hello Natalia, the truth is incomprehensible that it does not have this functionality, it is very uncomfortable and difficult to order the files if every time we format it restarts to zero, please solve it as soon as possible, thank you very much.

so far I haven't had any issues with the count returning to zero as I format my card before every session (i.e. daily).  am I missing something, what is the issue?
2020-9-1
Use props
mikeferrarime.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 366522 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

The Saint Posted at 9-1 12:29
so far I haven't had any issues with the count returning to zero as I format my card before every session (i.e. daily).  am I missing something, what is the issue?

if it worked like the rest of dji's drones, when formatting the card it would not have to go back to 0001, you would have to continue with the sequence you had, understand?
2020-9-2
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

mikeferrarime.com Posted at 9-2 10:23
if it worked like the rest of dji's drones, when formatting the card it would not have to go back to 0001, you would have to continue with the sequence you had, understand?

sure, I will check my other drones.
2020-9-2
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think the Mini has this problem. I have changed the card multiple times and haven't lost any numbering sync. But to be honest, I haven't done the same with the MA2. There should be no real reason that the drone cannot store the last filename, no different than some other settings.
2020-9-2
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

mikeferrarime.com Posted at 9-1 10:14

You restarted this thread yesterday after the last post of Jun 19th.  Can you explain why you need to format every time you download files from the SD card???  I never format and as a result, my photos and videos are always numerically ordered.  If not formating is damaging the card or somehow making future photos and videos have poorer quality, please tell me so I can run into the same problems you are having.
2020-9-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Rustic17 Posted at 9-2 20:21
You restarted this thread yesterday after the last post of Jun 19th.  Can you explain why you need to format every time you download files from the SD card???  I never format and as a result, my photos and videos are always numerically ordered.  If not formating is damaging the card or somehow making future photos and videos have poorer quality, please tell me so I can run into the same problems you are having.

If you never format the SD card, then your card is slowly getting full of all manner of hidden files that DJI place on the card, with the result that it will eventually get sluggish in operation and you may then find it stops recording when saving video files. If DJI were properly managing the file system, they would scavenge these hidden files, but in the time I have been using their drones, I have not found any evidence of them properly managing the system.

Technically, of course, you should not NEED to format the card, and you COULD delete all the hidden files on the card, but many do not know how to do this, so the simplest solution is to perform a format, which does the job simply and effectively. A format does not damage the card, in most cases it only writes zero into about 6 locations on the card, so it will hardly wear the card out.
2020-9-2
Use props
alloffroad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6339409 ft
  • >>>
Australia

same here replaced my Air with an Air 2 and now discovered no continous file numbering, this makes it unusable for me and my workflow with several drones and cameras and backups on a daily base as I do multi-day travel shoots.  I do DJI how can I return the Drone? Mavic Air had it and I assumed Air 2 which is supposed to be an improvement would have continous file numbering as well.

2020-11-4
Use props
Bronto-Yoda
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22070 ft
Australia

Has there been un update for this.
2021-2-15
Use props
cab1024
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23015 ft
United States

Just got the Mavic Air 2, my first drone and have already run into problems due to the file name resetting to 001 every time I offload files. This is absurd. This should have been fixed long ago, DJI should be embarrassed.
2021-7-4
Use props
Pappy3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

cab1024 Posted at 7-4 16:23
Just got the Mavic Air 2, my first drone and have already run into problems due to the file name resetting to 001 every time I offload files. This is absurd. This should have been fixed long ago, DJI should be embarrassed.

Sadly, DJI is not embarrassed as this would have been fixed by now.
2021-7-4
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 135564 ft
United States

When I use the "continuous" numbering system, my Mavic Air 2 will continue the numbering even if I start using another card.  In other words, if I am on file 235 on the current SD, and insert another SD, the first file will be numbered 236.  That's really handy actually.
2021-7-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

cleamon Posted at 7-12 12:57
When I use the "continuous" numbering system, my Mavic Air 2 will continue the numbering even if I start using another card.  In other words, if I am on file 235 on the current SD, and insert another SD, the first file will be numbered 236.  That's really handy actually.

When I use the "continuous" numbering system, my Mavic Air 2 will continue the numbering even if I start using another card.
Are you sure about that?
Because the Air 2 uses the DJI Fly app and it does not have a Continuous File Index Mode option, like the DJI Go4 app does.
2021-7-12
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 7-12 20:35
When I use the "continuous" numbering system, my Mavic Air 2 will continue the numbering even if I start using another card.
Are you sure about that?
Because the Air 2 uses the DJI Fly app and it does not have a Continuous File Index Mode option, like the DJI Go4 app does.

Well, it does or did at some point because that's what it's doing.  I was just testing that yesterday.  I had 18 files on my SD card numbered 0001 - 0018.  I switched SD cards, shot a video and it was numbered 0019.
2021-7-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

cleamon Posted at 7-13 03:58
Well, it does or did at some point because that's what it's doing.  I was just testing that yesterday.  I had 18 files on my SD card numbered 0001 - 0018.  I switched SD cards, shot a video and it was numbered 0019.

A screenshot of where you can choose the Continuous or Reset options for File Index Mode would be interesting to see.
2021-7-13
Use props
Pappy3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Sequential file numbering has never been an issue for me. My workflow includes a step to rename files by prepending the date (YYYMMDD) and card ID to the filename, so even if the number is the same the file prefix will not be the same.
2021-7-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

cleamon Posted at 7-13 03:58
Well, it does or did at some point because that's what it's doing.  I was just testing that yesterday.  I had 18 files on my SD card numbered 0001 - 0018.  I switched SD cards, shot a video and it was numbered 0019.

Is there any chance of seeing a screenshot of where you can choose the Continuous or Reset options for File Index Mode?
2021-7-15
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 7-15 02:19
Is there any chance of seeing a screenshot of where you can choose the Continuous or Reset options for File Index Mode?

As I said "it did at some point", seems to have disappeared in one of the updates.  In any case, the behavior is continuous numbering -- even across SD cards.  
2021-7-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

cleamon Posted at 7-15 03:53
As I said "it did at some point", seems to have disappeared in one of the updates.  In any case, the behavior is continuous numbering -- even across SD cards.

Ever since DJI Fly was released, users have complained about this.
Did you have an older drone like the original Air, that used DJI Go 4?
2021-7-15
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 7-15 04:09
Ever since DJI Fly was released, users have complained about this.
Did you have an older drone like the original Air, that used DJI Go 4?

No, I have an older P4 Advance.  The MA2 is less than 2 months old.  Can't explain why, but it's numbering files continuously.  Not that it matters to me as I use Lightroom and it renames/renumbers files when I import.  
BTW: except for my original SD card, I never format in the drone.  It's the same format (exFAT), but when I format on my computer I'm able to name the card (i.e. MA2-SD1, MA2-SD2, P4-SD1, etc.) which I like to do so I can identify it when I mount it on the computer. Too small to write on
2021-7-15
Use props
N3NTJ
lvl.1
United States

I do not use an SD card but use the Mavic Air 2's internal memory to store my videos/photos. Getting the unit to be able to set a sequential file naming system (say, starting at 0000001.jpg) shouldn't be hard for DJI to implement. What is taking them so long?
2023-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules