2430 16 2020-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So, after watching a few youtube videos, i cant wait to get out and try out Active Track Follow with my Air 2. Coming from the Spark, Mavic Air and Pro, active track has been good out in the open but not as good as the stuff I'm seeing the Air 2 being capable of.After watching several youtube videos of people showing off the capabilities of active track I do have a few concerns though.
In many of the videos the Air 2 can been seen flying autonomously directly either to the left or the right to either avoid an object or pass through a gap. My worry is that there are no obstacle avoidance sensors on the sides of this drone. How does it know its safe to do this maneouver? Is it 3D mapping its environment on the fly by using point clouds or something?

I really want to know this as I would feel a world more confident about flying active track if I knew how it was seeing its environment.

Please help DJI

2020-5-19
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

Height is your main thing to keep in mind while using that mode.
2020-5-19
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Picanoc Jack Posted at 5-19 03:04
Height is your main thing to keep in mind while using that mode.

Yeah, some of the videos i have seen so far where people are active tracking through a wooded area looks great, i have no doubt in the open this is going to work perfectly.
2020-5-19
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.3
Flight distance : 235768 ft
Germany

Well after my MA2 crashed into a very obvious object for no apparent reason (still under investigation) I'd advise you to still be very very careful with this. This feature is obviously far from beeing flawless.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=215632

2020-5-19
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U Posted at 5-19 03:52
Well after my MA2 crashed into a very obvious object for no apparent reason (still under investigation) I'd advise you to still be very very careful with this. This is obviously far from beeing flawless.

What happened? Do you have a video of this?
2020-5-19
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.3
Flight distance : 235768 ft
Germany

Yea i just edited my post! You should be able to see it. I was very relaxed about it as all the influencers and youtubers praised it so much...
2020-5-19
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe the release video showed a 3d representation of the environment. Having a clear answer would be nice.
2020-5-19
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Vlas Posted at 5-19 05:29
I believe the release video showed a 3d representation of the environment. Having a clear answer would be nice.

really? cool, any links for this?
2020-5-19
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just read this:
“When users enable APAS 3.0, as obstacles come into the drone’s path, Mavic Air 2 will create a new path around, under or over the object to avoid collision, giving pilots the confidence to fly in more complex situations while focusing on capturing their ideal images. Using 3D mapping, the updated version aids in smooth transitions and more fluid movements around objects even in highly complex environments.”

here: https://dronelife.com/2020/04/27 ... waited-mavic-air-2/

I really want to see this in action from the AI point of view!!
2020-5-19
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Malakai_UK Posted at 5-19 05:35
really? cool, any links for this?

I thought I saw it one either the product page or one of the release videos. Just have to search around on DJI's website. Sorry couldn't be more helpful.
2020-5-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Malakai_UK Posted at 5-19 05:44
Just read this:
“When users enable APAS 3.0, as obstacles come into the drone’s path, Mavic Air 2 will create a new path around, under or over the object to avoid collision, giving pilots the confidence to fly in more complex situations while focusing on capturing their ideal images. Using 3D mapping, the updated version aids in smooth transitions and more fluid movements around objects even in highly complex environments.”

Here's a link that may interest you
2020-5-19
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks. I’ve seen this one. I’ve seen so many. I want to see what the APAS can see I think a demo of that from DJI would be incredible.
2020-5-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Malakai_UK Posted at 5-19 06:44
Thanks. I’ve seen this one. I’ve seen so many. I want to see what the APAS can see I think a demo of that from DJI would be incredible.

Agreed
2020-5-19
Use props
GreenDayPR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517087 ft
United States

Does anybody knows the maximum height allowed for the active track 3.0 to work?
2020-5-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Malakai_UK. The Mavic Air 2 uses a new-generation intelligent tracking function, which is stronger than the tracking function of previous generations of DJI products. The Mavic Air 2 also uses a new flight path algorithm, which supports smooth tracking and flexible obstacle avoidance performance even in complex scenarios. Compared to the previous generation of products, the obstacle avoidance and path planning performance have been improved. The Mavic Air 2 improved the recognition performance as well, allowing it to quickly re-engage a subject if the drone temporarily moves behind an object which blocks its view. Please do not use FocusTrack in areas with people, animals, small or fine objects(e.g., tree branches or power lines), or transparent objects(e.g., water or glass). Please refer to the User Manual for more details.
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... Manual_v1.0_en_.pdf

2020-5-19
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Without 360' sensors you can't fully trust active trust.
It's not a Skydio drone.

For only forward and backward sensors you'd need to be careful when using active track modes. I have already seen several youtube videos how the air 2 crashed on it's side.

I'd only use active track when the environment feels safe to use.
2020-5-19
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-19 19:40
Hi, Malakai_UK. The Mavic Air 2 uses a new-generation intelligent tracking function, which is stronger than the tracking function of previous generations of DJI products. The Mavic Air 2 also uses a new flight path algorithm, which supports smooth tracking and flexible obstacle avoidance performance even in complex scenarios. Compared to the previous generation of products, the obstacle avoidance and path planning performance have been improved. The Mavic Air 2 improved the recognition performance as well, allowing it to quickly re-engage a subject if the drone temporarily moves behind an object which blocks its view. Please do not use FocusTrack in areas with people, animals, small or fine objects(e.g., tree branches or power lines), or transparent objects(e.g., water or glass). Please refer to the User Manual for more details.
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... Manual_v1.0_en_.pdf
[view_image]

Thanks Gamora, this is great but i would love to know the technical side, a bit more than the average users info. Does it actually 3D map its environment, if so does it save this map while in flight so its aware of its flight area?
2020-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules