Gimbal Problems - Water crash
997 7 2020-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
legend32
lvl.1

Ireland

Hi, I crashed my drone and it submerged 50% in water. It had alot of sensor warnings, so I took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together. The only warning left was 'gimbal overload'. I went online and bought a second hand gimbal motor for 10 dollars and fitted it. I still get the exact same error.

Things I have tried
- ICU caliberation
- Compass caliberation
- gimbal caliberation with python script
python comm_og_service_tool.py comX SPARK GimbalCalib JointCoarse  python comm_og_service_tool.py comX SPARK GimbalCalib LinearHall - made sure pitch and roll was at zero and that change them didnt make much of a difference at all  The error When off the camera is straight, once i turn it on it tilts 35-40 degreees to one side and stays there When i try using the roller on the fly more remote it will go maybe 30 degrees down and then stop and give the gimbal error When i manually push it down gently it will go down with no resistance When doing the python caliberations above it will not function like it does in the videos, it only moves slightly up and down but nothing else When I have it on and move it about it seems like it does full range of motion to correct itself. However when i stop moving it the camera is level but will slowly over 2-3 seconds return to 35-40 degree tilt.   It is definitely out of warranty, I know the second motor i got might have been faulty too but seems unlikely that both gave the same errors. Any advice is greatly appriciated and any other info needed just let me know. Results of the python caliberation was 'caliberation time exceeded, caliberation must have ended, result unsure'

2020-5-19
Use props
legend32
lvl.1

Ireland

https://youtu.be/w5zLEza4hzw
https://youtu.be/g2SDBG6c_7A

Video of startup and how gimbal acts when moved. When using the roller wheel on fly more remote instead of 85 degrees of range of motion up and down I get about 25-30 degrees in the middle of the range
2020-5-19
Use props
USS ENTERPRISE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2063642 ft
South Korea

did you check the gimbal ring?
2020-5-19
Use props
legend32
lvl.1

Ireland

USS ENTERPRISE Posted at 5-19 19:40
did you check the gimbal ring?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71BV4V7KWaL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Is that thing at the top the gimbal ring... yes that looks good, its straight and when the drone is off the camera sits level
2020-5-20
Use props
legend32
lvl.1

Ireland

I also downgraded and then upgraded the firmware and still no improvement
2020-5-21
Use props
legend32
lvl.1

Ireland

Just realised I had the videos as private, sorry about that, just made them public there
2020-5-22
Use props
legend32
lvl.1

Ireland

So just to keep people updated, I have figured out that the IMU unit has x and y sensors .. since the camera is tilting maybe thats broken ... i did hold the camera and shake the water out when it happened, i thought holding the camera would protect it but didnt think of the sensor, so maybe i overloaded the sensor.

The IMU unit is attached the the gimbal ring. I have already changed the gimbal motor. I will report back if this fixes it.
2020-5-25
Use props
legend32
lvl.1

Ireland

Update the IMU replacement didnt work, camera still acting the same way. Only Four things left really, Gimbal cable, the front sensors, the GPS unit (cant see it being that as gps is connecting), or the motherboard (worse case)

Since its turning on and only the gimbal is messing up I cant see it being the motherboard. I'll try keep this post updated
2020-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules