DJI UK AirSense
1514 21 2020-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jonathan Andrews
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18018 ft
United Kingdom

Hi DJI I know probably been asked many times but when is the Mavic Air 2 going to be available in UK with AirSense?

Ready to order this but really don’t want to order without this as guaranteed when got to point of an upgrade this is guaranteed to have an effect on the resale value if no option to retrofit after purchase.

The money is waiting for this
2020-5-19
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Still don't understand why you folks don't get AirSense.
2020-5-19
Use props
Jonathan Andrews
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Vlas Posted at 5-19 11:01
Still don't understand why you folks don't get AirSense.

Something to do with availability of parts due to COVID.

Understanding is US has requirements for AirSense and UK doesn’t
2020-5-19
Use props
fansf945b6c6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

Parts focused toward Mavic 3 as a pro drone option? It can't be far away so why place into consumer level when not demanded by regs.
2020-5-19
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jonathan Andrews Posted at 5-19 13:22
Something to do with availability of parts due to COVID.

Understanding is US has requirements for AirSense and UK doesn’t

It's so bizarre this requires extra parts. There are a number of apps that do the same thing, and GPS seems to be the only requirement.
2020-5-19
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

Vlas Posted at 5-19 16:09
It's so bizarre this requires extra parts. There are a number of apps that do the same thing, and GPS seems to be the only requirement.

The apps don't do the receiving.
They download that information from data published by *other people's* ADB-S receivers scattered throughout the world.

The ADS-B functionality inside the drone is an *actual receiver*.
2020-5-19
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

0rcinus Posted at 5-19 17:13
The apps don't do the receiving.
They download that information from data published by *other people's* ADB-S receivers scattered throughout the world.

I guess that has the advantage of not having to be connected to the net. I'm surprised they went with an actual receiver.
2020-5-19
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

Vlas Posted at 5-19 17:19
I guess that has the advantage of not having to be connected to the net. I'm surprised they went with an actual receiver.

It sorta makes sense, because you want to receive ADS-B beacons around the drone itself.
Most receivers that feed flightradar etc. are landbound, do not guarantee reception in every and all areas on earth, and often times have antennas pointing high up (people are more interested in airliners than low-altitude traffic).
2020-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If your in the UK or intend to fly in EU then I'd wait until the release a version with the EU classification. Otherwise when the rules change later in the year this will fall into the legacy category and you'll be restricted where you can fly.
2020-5-20
Use props
Acerr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1857936 ft
Poland

DAFlys Posted at 5-20 00:27
If your in the UK or intend to fly in EU then I'd wait until the release a version with the EU classification. Otherwise when the rules change later in the year this will fall into the legacy category and you'll be restricted where you can fly.

Any idea when will they release this version with EU classification? Any chance for this year?
2020-5-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Acerr Posted at 5-20 07:32
Any idea when will they release this version with EU classification? Any chance for this year?

There is absolutely no way to know.
2020-5-20
Use props
fansf945b6c6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

Acerr Posted at 5-20 07:32

Manufacturers need to pay for classification testing they wont do that until things are set in stone, the CAA is still considering tweaking regs for the uk. Since most hobby pilots dont need much more than the open category under EASA its a personal choice to buy or wait. Two years for legacy is a long time in the drone world but you can get more options in the open category by complting a CofC .
2020-5-21
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope that it won’t take long.
2020-5-21
Use props
Jonathan Andrews
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks all I personally will only ever be under the ‘Hobby Class’ no interest in doing much more with it
2020-5-21
Use props
djiuser_4R5yxglQcL7i
New

Portugal

DJI Suporte said this...

Due to supply chain shortages related to the coronavirus pandemic, Mavic Air 2 units equipped with AirSense ADS-B will initially only be available in North America. A version of Mavic Air 2 will be available outside of North America without ADS-B.

We are working towards making ADS-B equipped Mavic Air 2 drones available globally and will update our customers and partners when timing has been confirmed.
2020-6-27
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

Not needed in the uk.  Just buy it, you won’t regret it
2020-6-27
Use props
Jonathan Andrews
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks I purchased a Mavic Mini Flymore to learn with and will upgrade to Air 2 once it gets its CE cert etc
2020-6-27
Use props
Jonathan Andrews
lvl.1
United Kingdom

urbanweb Posted at 6-27 17:34
Not needed in the uk.  Just buy it, you won’t regret it

Landed up ordering Air 2 anyway find Mini quite small to see and limiting with photography which is its intended purpose (eg no RAW).

Thanks will undertake A2 later in year once got experience
2020-7-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jonathan Andrews Posted at 7-3 23:09
Landed up ordering Air 2 anyway find Mini quite small to see and limiting with photography which is its intended purpose (eg no RAW).

Thanks will undertake A2 later in year once got experience

Many congrats. The only difference between the A3 subcategory (when it finally arrives) and the current CAA drone code is that you won't be able to fly over people. So I'd only take the A2 CofC if you intend to fly for commercial purposes.
2020-7-4
Use props
Jonathan Andrews
lvl.1
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 7-4 03:47
Many congrats. The only difference between the A3 subcategory (when it finally arrives) and the current CAA drone code is that you won't be able to fly over people. So I'd only take the A2 CofC if you intend to fly for commercial purposes.

Thanks for heads up mate I wouldn’t even dream of overflying anyone now.
2020-7-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jonathan Andrews Posted at 7-4 04:22
Thanks for heads up mate I wouldn’t even dream of overflying anyone now.

No probs - and AirSense isn't going to be a legal requirement either when the new regs come into force in the new year so enjoy the MA2 as is for years to come - I've been flying it for six weeks now and I'll put it up there with the M2P in many ways. You'll obviously need to get your Flyer and Operator ID's now though - that will cost you £9 and take all of half an hour (to get both).
2020-7-4
Use props
Jonathan Andrews
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for heads up I registered for the Op etc for mini anyway (know was not needed)
2020-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules