Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI FPV System + Smart Controller FREEZING ISSUE
2925 5 2020-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ed Ricker
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3107398 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello, I need some help if anyone has insights into this problem.
I recently used the DJI FPV System in tandem with the SC (Smart Controller) to live stream on YouTube with HDMI-out to my laptop. It worked great on OBS and I was able to stream the pilot's view perfectly.
However, now I'm getting freezing issues with the Smart Controller. The image just locks up on the last FPV frame.

When using the HDMI-out on the SC, the FPV goggle feed shows up fine on the SC for about 5 minutes and then locks up. However, when NOT using HDMI out on the SC and only using it as a monitor view, the SC continues to show the FPV feed much longer. It's as if the SC is overheating from the simultaneous USB-in/HDMI-out. After attempting HDMI-out and experiencing the image freeze, simply trying the USB-in will result it a freeze after a few minutes as well. Powering off the unit for an extended amount of time and trying again will result in normal operation.

I thought maybe the SC is overheating in the warm weather outside due to increased processing power with the HDMI-out function, so I tried it in the air conditioning indoors. Same freezing issue. Have used different cables as well.

Again, this freezing issue doesn't seem to be present when not using HDMI-out on the SC.
Any thoughts, or has anyone run into this problem?

Thanks in advance!

2020-5-19
Use props
TechnoCore
lvl.2

United States

I'm having the exact same issue except I've never done HDMI output. Mine freezes after about 2 mins, indoors/outdoors, crappy cable/nice 3.0 cable. Trying different air units too just in case it's that, nothing prevents the inevitable freeze.

The first time I used FPV live it worked for about 10 minutes, but now it stops after 1-2 minutes and freezes. Such an expensive FPV monitor to have it not work!
2020-8-1
Use props
Ed Ricker
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

TechnoCore Posted at 8-1 11:21
I'm having the exact same issue except I've never done HDMI output. Mine freezes after about 2 mins, indoors/outdoors, crappy cable/nice 3.0 cable. Trying different air units too just in case it's that, nothing prevents the inevitable freeze.

The first time I used FPV live it worked for about 10 minutes, but now it stops after 1-2 minutes and freezes. Such an expensive FPV monitor to have it not work!

I was able to contact DJI about this...it's the Air Unit overheating. If you plug in the quad and take off immediately, you'll have a perfect FPV view on the Smart Controller. But if you let the quad sit plugged in for more than a minute or two, the temperature of the Air Unit reaches 70°C and enters Low Power Mode which immediately freezes the FPV view on the Smart Controller.
My Air Unit will overheat in about 6 minutes sitting on my desk inside an air conditioned house. Outside on a hot day it happens even sooner.
So make sure you take off as soon as possible after plugging in your quad.
2020-8-3
Use props
TechnoCore
lvl.2

United States

Ed Ricker Posted at 8-3 10:15
I was able to contact DJI about this...it's the Air Unit overheating. If you plug in the quad and take off immediately, you'll have a perfect FPV view on the Smart Controller. But if you let the quad sit plugged in for more than a minute or two, the temperature of the Air Unit reaches 70°C and enters Low Power Mode which immediately freezes the FPV view on the Smart Controller.
My Air Unit will overheat in about 6 minutes sitting on my desk inside an air conditioned house. Outside on a hot day it happens even sooner.
So make sure you take off as soon as possible after plugging in your quad.

I think you are exactly right, and fits how you can't get it to come back for quite some time once it reaches that overheated state.

Thanks for the info!
2020-8-14
Use props
fans3ad4a49d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 193383 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am having the same issue...  With the overheating issue does the goggle image freeze as well?  Mine isn’t but the image on the smart controller is freezing...  I was worried it was the USB C socket on the goggles being damaged...
2020-12-8
Use props
Ed Ricker
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fans3ad4a49d Posted at 12-8 16:45
I am having the same issue...  With the overheating issue does the goggle image freeze as well?  Mine isn’t but the image on the smart controller is freezing...  I was worried it was the USB C socket on the goggles being damaged...

Nope, the goggles never freeze. Just the image on the smart controller.
2020-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules