Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air 2 Near Other RC Vehciles
590 10 2020-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ctickle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 117297 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Recently purchased a Mavic Air 2 after having a P3SE for a few years. What an upgrade for starters.

Now I am by no means an advanced pilot, but I would say I know how to operate safely etc. However, a neighbour has an RC Petrol Car. He said it would be cool if we could get some shots of the car from the air on the dirt tracks etc.

My question is simple, aside from the general drone safety. How safe is it to fly my Mavic air 2 around other RC vehicles?

I have never flown near another RC vehicle before, even drones. So I’m just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, should I just be fine to fly as normal or are there settings I just adjust etc?

TLR - apart from general safety, how safe is it to fly near other RC vehicles in terms of interference fly away etc.

Any help much appreciated!

C
2020-5-20
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I flew my Mavic Mini alongside my 1/5 scale petrol car with no issues. The car is using a 2.4Ghz transmission system.
If you look close enough, there's also a Mini in the shot below )

IMG_0823.jpg

2020-5-20
Use props
ctickle
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 5-20 01:46
I flew my Mavic Mini alongside my 1/5 scale petrol car with no issues. The car is using a 2.4Ghz transmission system.
If you look close enough, there's also a Mini in the shot below )[Image]

Thanks for the reply! This is exactly the sort of thing I want to do!

I had a hard time explaining to the guy on DJI support what I meant by a petrol RC car!
2020-5-20
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

ctickle Posted at 5-20 02:05
Thanks for the reply! This is exactly the sort of thing I want to do!

I had a hard time explaining to the guy on DJI support what I meant by a petrol RC car!

the only thing that you might want to consider is there is a magnetic field generated by the engine of the car, it has a magnet that generates electricity for the spark plug as the flywheel is spinning and I'm not sure if that might affect the drone's compass in any way. As long as you don't get very close to the car, you should be fine.
2020-5-20
Use props
ctickle
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 5-20 02:57
the only thing that you might want to consider is there is a magnetic field generated by the engine of the car, it has a magnet that generates electricity for the spark plug as the flywheel is spinning and I'm not sure if that might affect the drone's compass in any way. As long as you don't get very close to the car, you should be fine.

Thanks a lot for that. I didn't think of that, I have an RC myself.

It's a HPI ST. Love it!

Have you got any footage from when you flew alongside your car? I'd love to see if you have!
2020-5-20
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

ctickle Posted at 5-20 03:01
Thanks a lot for that. I didn't think of that, I have an RC myself.

It's a HPI ST. Love it!

no footage unfortunately, we were just messing around...
2020-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

how safe is it to fly near other RC vehicles in terms of interference fly away etc.
It's completely safe.
You'll only see any interference if you are too close (a few feet) to the other guy's controller.
Flyaway ?? What's that?
2020-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 5-20 02:57
the only thing that you might want to consider is there is a magnetic field generated by the engine of the car, it has a magnet that generates electricity for the spark plug as the flywheel is spinning and I'm not sure if that might affect the drone's compass in any way. As long as you don't get very close to the car, you should be fine.
the only thing that you might want to consider is there is a magnetic field generated by the engine of the car, ...  I'm not sure if that might affect the drone's compass in any way.
Only if he's within two feet of the car .. and he won't be.
2020-5-20
Use props
ctickle
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-20 05:16
how safe is it to fly near other RC vehicles in terms of interference fly away etc.
It's completely safe.
You'll only see any interference if you are too close (a few feet) to the other guy's controller.

Thanks for your reply!

Are you basically saying flyaways are no longer an issue for the most part? I have to admit I am very confident in my new Mavic Air 2, the transmission is great and I have had next to no interference whats so ever!
2020-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ctickle Posted at 5-20 13:23
Thanks for your reply!

Are you basically saying flyaways are no longer an issue for the most part? I have to admit I am very confident in my new Mavic Air 2, the transmission is great and I have had next to no interference whats so ever!

Are you basically saying flyaways are no longer an issue for the most part?
"Flyaways" have never been an issue.
Flyaway is a word that means: I lost my drone and don't understand why
Analysing the flight data from many, many lost drone incidents, it's clear that almost all are due to poor piloting and misunderstanding.
Drones don't just fly away.
2020-5-20
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides brought up the term "flyaway" in this topic. Nobody said it until he did. It's his pet peeve.
2020-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules