Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mavic Mini INSIDE A HOTEL - You'll LOVE this one!
1425 25 2020-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

With most countries in some form of Covid-19 lockdown, drone operators are struggling to be able to get out to fly, so DroningON took their Mavic Mini to a beautiful hotel in Sweden, and with permission flew it inside, producing some wonderful footage!

2020-5-20
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

So simple and so great, nice idea, thanks. The big mini ...
2020-5-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is pretty cool
2020-5-20
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

and he intentionally forgot to mention he taped the sensors...otherwise half of the shots are impossible
2020-5-20
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Footage is great... but beware of trying this at home: no cage and very big risks of potential crash when the VPS picks an underlying surface and automatically increases the height, which is designed to do.

Not a word about that's what left me dismayed most of all.
2020-5-20
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting take.
2020-5-20
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

very cool! I liked the low angles especially, very creative.
2020-5-20
Use props
Bloodied_Mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 145361 ft
Malaysia

sbonev Posted at 5-20 15:00
and he intentionally forgot to mention he taped the sensors...otherwise half of the shots are impossible

I agree, the MM will normally move up when flying through the display cabinet. Also, why not just advice ppl to use the prop cage indoors? Video quality won't be much different but it is much safer.
2020-5-20
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

2020-5-20
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

The Mavic Mini is definitely in flight, most of the shots couldn't be achieved otherwise, passing through the hole in the restaurant for example.

Prop guards are absolutely a recommendation for a beginner or even intermediate operator flying indoors, but with the areas of the hotel closed and permission granted from staff and the guests in the area, they weren't necessary, especially as I've been flying RC for over 28 years.

The IR sensors underside we're taped over to prevent the drone from bouncing as it approaches the floor, these shots couldn't be achieved without doing that.

As for the comment about "ground effect", you'll only get that if you aren't moving quickly.

Hope that this helps!
2020-5-20
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Bloodied_Mini Posted at 5-20 18:38
I agree, the MM will normally move up when flying through the display cabinet. Also, why not just advice ppl to use the prop cage indoors? Video quality won't be much different but it is much safer.

With prop guards fitted, it wouldn't have fit through any of the gaps through which it flew.
2020-5-20
Use props
ThalisGr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It is a great footage no matter what. Especially the shots between the roof lamps are awesome.
I have seen the trick with the tapped sensors but I am too inexperience to try something like that
I have flown the Mini in my small flat and it flies great when the rooms are well lit. When room is darkish it is gone mad lol.
2020-5-20
Use props
Bloodied_Mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 145361 ft
Malaysia

sergeant Posted at 5-20 22:34
With prop guards fitted, it would t have fit through any of the gaps through which it flew.

Thanks for clarifying. Nice videos but would be good to let us know how you did it in full.
2020-5-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Darn no prop guards?
2020-5-21
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Bloodied_Mini Posted at 5-20 23:46
Thanks for clarifying. Nice videos but would be good to let us know how you did it in full.

The underside IR sensors were taped, allowing it to pass over surfaces without jolting. As for the pull-back shots, the first where it passes through the shelves was flown backwards towards me, I was hiding in the kitchen area where the drone ends at the close of the shot.

To align such a shot means finding an appropriate altitude first whereby you get the shot that you desire and the clearance through the shelf without ascending/descending and ruining the flow. I did a few test runs slowly forwards and backwards to ensure that it was achievable and then did it at full pace.

I have been flying RC for 28 years, helicopters, planes, gliders, wings, FPV and 'drones', the hotel was closed in the areas flown and only staff were present and keeping watch.

Prop guards would have meant reducing the ability to pass through most of these obstacles, in addition you only need prop guards if you're inexperienced or do not have sufficient control of the environment in which you're flying, hence why they were not fitted.

I hope that you all enjoyed it, as much as I did shooting it!
2020-5-21
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Bit of a 'behind the scenes' here from the DroningON LIVE channel -

(subscribe if you're not already subscribed to this channel!)
2020-5-21
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

sergeant Posted at 5-20 22:33
The Mavic Mini is definitely in flight, most of the shots couldn't be achieved otherwise, passing through the hole in the restaurant for example.

Prop guards are absolutely a recommendation for a beginner or even intermediate operator flying indoors, but with the areas of the hotel closed and permission granted from staff and the guests in the area, they weren't necessary, especially as I've been flying RC for over 28 years.

I was going to say with the sensors underneath it was amazing the drone didn't lift itself but you taped them. Some cool footage... I like seeing people do something different with their drones.
2020-5-21
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Sadly a lot empty spaces (hotels, restaurants, theatres...) to fly these days!
2020-5-22
Use props
djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4725190 ft
Spain

Great video, i can imagine was a lot fun, and for sure the hotel is happy to have some nice footage for the next commercial clip.
Really nice video!
Thanks for sharing
2020-5-22
Use props
Richard Hopkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923406 ft
United States

Amazing video! Very well done, Thanks for sharing!
2020-5-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video!
2020-5-22
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Tried flying inside the first time I unboxed the Mini. The optical Sensor didn't recognize my floor somehow, crashed it instantly into my chair.
2020-5-22
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Thanks guys!! Yes it was great fun, and really pleased with the result.
2020-5-23
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Mizzu Posted at 5-22 21:25
Tried flying inside the first time I unboxed the Mini. The optical Sensor didn't recognize my floor somehow, crashed it instantly into my chair.

Thanks for the comment, yes flying indoors requires completely different skills to flying out, you have to be actively 'piloting' rather than passively as you do when flying outdoors, due to so much autonomy being in play. At any time indoors the drone can lose it's position hold (Downward Optical Flow) and so you have to be always 'flying' the drone.
2020-5-23
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

I noticed you kept the flight line mostly in straight lines , giving you more time to spend on controlling the height of the drone. Well done so we learn from others.
2020-5-23
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Droneflier Posted at 5-23 09:43
I noticed you kept the flight line mostly in straight lines , giving you more time to spend on controlling the height of the drone. Well done so we learn from others.

Yes you might think that a straight line is simple, but actually I am constantly moving very minimally left and right to adjust position, especially as I pass between the large ceiling balls, just so slightly so as not to be obvious to the eye.
2020-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules