Measurements and Portability of Inspire?
8438 33 2014-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
teecee
New

Switzerland

Hi

I am an action sports videographer who works a lot in the mountains and I have to fit all my gear into a backpack. That's why the Phantom 2 has become one of my favourite tools, I quickly assemble and disassemble the propellers and am ready to go.

I am interested in the Inspire 1, but I can't find info on how the drone compares to the Phantom in terms of portability. How big is the drone when disassembled for transport? And how much time does it take to assemble it again? A size comparison photo between Phantom 2 and Inspire 1 would be also helpful.

Anyone can help out with info on that?

Best
Tom

2014-11-19
Use props
tomswell
lvl.2
Flight distance : 268438 ft
United States

this video shows a lot /  http://youtu.be/vKht76-zRBI?list=FL8whncdpsZ_pEO20hAidDKQ
note inspire is twice as heavy as Phantom 2 .....  11" props
might get away with 30" square X 12" at best
Goproprofessional Case    33x21x16 and 33lbs  ?lang=en

Inspire1 is twice a heavy as Phantom2
2014-11-19
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

The inspire is twice the weight.  13" props and 600mm motor to motor vs 480 on the Phantom.  It is a much bigger craft and not conducive to backpacking.  Not saying it cannot be done but it is not the same as the Phantom.
2014-11-19
Use props
Inspired
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13832480 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

Anyone think it can fit into a cabin travel case ?
2014-11-20
Use props
harley.ham
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2388927 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Inspired Posted at 2014-11-21 00:01
Anyone think it can fit into a cabin travel case ?

If the arms could close more, it will be thinner and taller, mose easy to put in a case.
2014-11-21
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

according to DJI the arms (landing gear) can be folded up and locked in any desired position for packing. This would generate a larger overall surface, but a thinner packing, once the gimbal and camera has been removed. Anybody can confirm what measurements would be reached ?
2014-11-21
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

2014-11-21
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

2014-11-21
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

sorry can't get the pic to upload
2014-11-21
Use props
DJI-JS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48940 ft
  • >>>
United States

See this picture from a tech review from a professional photographer:

Travel on airplane

Travel on airplane
2014-11-21
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

thanks, that is very interesting !
2014-11-21
Use props
mclein
New
Flight distance : 9160 ft
Mexico

Is it possible to see other pictures of the phantom with the arms folded and camera/gimbal removed??
thanks
2014-12-6
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I admit that I have not tried to travel with a naked Inspire on an aircraft.  I am flying on Friday so maybe I will try to see what will happen.  Thank you DJI-JS!
2014-12-7
Use props
mclein
New
Mexico

Is it possible to remove the arms to make it smaller when packed?
2014-12-7
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

It will fit in a 21" x 20" x 9" hard shell case in "pack mode" with at least 1" of foam all around, with the camera and props removed, plus 1 controller, a couple of batteries, the camera, and accessories:

This would be the same length and depth as, but only 2" wider than the smallest Phantom case currently made.  While it would not technically be a "legal" sized carry on, neither is any current Phantom case, yet would (like the Phantom cases) still fit in the enlarged overhead bins of modern airliners.

Unlike depicted in this hastily photoshopped image, the controller would probably need to lay on its side - a 7" dimension.

We now have to convince a case maker to make one.
2014-12-7
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

My P2 case is 16x24x10 and fits into the bin length wise.   I am a little concerned with the 20" measurement.  That may not work in some of the Boeing 737-300's.  The 700's may be a problem and the 800's would not be an issue.
2014-12-7
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

"My P2 case is 16x24x10 and fits into the bin length wise."

Maximum carry on size varies by airline, but the three major airlines remaining in the USA (Delta, United, American) all adhere to the same published 22" x 14" x 9" limit.  I cannot speak for the other airlines, but know for a fact that all of Delta Airlines' aircraft (including all 737-700s, 800s, and 900s) now have deepened overhead bins that fit bags of this side wheels or handles first (the 22" dimension).  Your P2 case is larger in every dimension than the maximum limit and still fits for this reason.  Theoretically a 9" deep by 22" wide case of 6 or 7 foot length would fit.  Growing the  depth to 10" limits the width a bit, since the rear of the space slopes, but am certain a 21" wide by 10" dimension would fit.  I'll bring a cardboard template on my next 737 flight next week to verify.

The horizontal dimensions of the Inspire 1 are 17.3" x 17.8", but we do not yet know what the vertical dimension in "pack mode" will be.  I estimate that removing the props and camera and raising the landing gear to be vertically even with the torso should reduce its published 11.8" height to about the same dimension as the width of the controller - 7".   My suggestion of a 21" x 20" x 9" case adds ~2" to each dimension, which might be a bit tight.  A 22" x 21" x 10" case would be pretty sweet, but might be tougher to fit in the overhead bins.
2014-12-7
Use props
mjdmike
lvl.3

United States

Interesting info.

Can anyone verify the 'pack mode'?   I don't see anything on the DJI website, nor have I seen any photos or video of the Inspire in a locked, packed, or folded mode for travel.  The only 'folded' I see on the DJI website refers to when the Inspire 'folds' it's arms up after liftoff.

That would sure be nice, but I'm a little skeptical that it's possible.
2014-12-8
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

mjdmike@email.c Posted at 2014-12-9 07:56
Interesting info.

Can anyone verify the 'pack mode'?   I don't see anything on the DJI website, nor ...

See the second post at Inspire 1 case ?.  It is from tao.zhao, who I'm fairly certain is a DJI employee.
2014-12-8
Use props
mclein
New
Mexico

ultraturtle Posted at 2014-12-9 08:52
See the second post at Inspire 1 case ?.  It is from tao.zhao, who I'm fairly certain is a DJI emp ...

I have seen that post too... but there is no information around about this pack mode...
I have asked on different fb pages too...
i've got no replies
2014-12-8
Use props
DJI-ZT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 411411 ft
China

The package mode or travel mode(we call it travel mode) is designed to flat the inspire.
Of course you need take off the gimbal first.

The inspire 1 can fit the case when it is in travel mode.

The outer dimension of the case is 556x490x240mm.

2014-12-8
Use props
mclein
New
Mexico

Is there by any chance a way to remove or collapse the arm to maki it smaller??
2014-12-8
Use props
DJI-ZT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 411411 ft
China

mclein Posted at 2014-12-9 11:14
Is there by any chance a way to remove or collapse the arm to maki it smaller??

I am afraid not.
The case is the smallest size itself.
It can contains 7 batteries, 2 controllers, 1 gimbal, 2 chargers, 8 propellers. Very compact size already.
2014-12-8
Use props
mclein
New
Mexico

I am super sad!! i am a traveling around the world with motorcycle .. i was looking for the perfect drone to carry around.. this is too big for me! damed!!!
2014-12-8
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

United States

mclein Posted at 2014-12-9 11:37
I am super sad!! i am a traveling around the world with motorcycle .. i was looking for the perfect  ...

The Inspire 1 case we're talking about here is larger than the smallest Phantom case made by only 0.9", 2.3", and 0.4" in each dimension for a total volume increase of less than 24%.  Other Phantom cases actually take up significantly more volume.
2014-12-8
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

United States

DJI-ZT's claim that

It can contains 7 batteries, 2 controllers, 1 gimbal, 2 chargers, 8 propellers.

is likely based on the GoProfessional wheeled case pictured earlier in this thread, and probably inaccurate.

Physics is physics, so a case this size will be able to fit the Inspire 1, 3 batteries, 1 controller, the camera and gimbal assembly and either:
  • Accessories, to include the two chargers, propellers, a filter case, and a spares kit; or
  • 1 additonal controller; or
  • 2 additional batteries

I'm betting on the accessories.
2014-12-8
Use props
mjdmike
lvl.3

United States

DJI-ZT Posted at 2014-12-9 10:29
The package mode or travel mode(we call it travel mode) is designed to flat the inspire.
Of course y ...

Thank you for the info!
2014-12-9
Use props
JerryMutter
lvl.2

United States

To make case fit all they may have laid down controllers either over or under the arms it will be interesting to see.
2014-12-9
Use props
Gorilla Drone
lvl.2

United States

I think they can squeeze all this in honestly, if you layer the radios and tigthen up the space between the batteries its possible. I dont expect the case to be anything like the GPC case. But simply something to get to jobs easier, and for flights to if you are very careful as well and can manage to go unnoticed by flight attendants/check in.
2014-12-9
Use props
Gorilla Drone
lvl.2

United States

JerryMutter Posted at 2014-12-9 23:58
To make case fit all they may have laid down controllers either over or under the arms it will be in ...

I agree, I believe they can make it really similar to how the bottom tier of the Ronin case where the radio lays over the handle bar.
2014-12-9
Use props
Gorilla Drone
lvl.2

United States

did you see the case? fits everything!
2014-12-10
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

United States

Gorilla Drone Posted at 2014-12-11 01:14
did you see the case? fits everything!

It does.  Amazing.

Thanks, DJI!!
2014-12-10
Use props
Gorilla Drone
lvl.2

United States

ultraturtle Posted at 2014-12-11 09:02
It does.  Amazing.

Thanks, DJI!!

lol and you said physics is physics! all is good though. it fits everything I need, I'm sure you like it, now just back to waiting right? lol
2014-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules