Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Autel vs DJI Ruling
2971 14 2020-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jimmy Singh
lvl.3
United States

Not sure if this is the correct forum and I figured it goes in General discussion rather than Mavic Forum.  I am looking to buy my DJI Mavic Air 2, and given the recent ruling US imposed a ban on all the drones from DJI due to Autel Robotic Patent.

I believe the ban goes in effect on Jul 1st and post that DJI can't sell drones unless otherwise.

If I buy my drone now, and if I need warranty service or repair or DJI refresh service. How this will work?
2020-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Don't worry about this.  It will all blow over and won't make any difference to you.
2020-5-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic Air 2 is not currently on the list and it uses a slightly different propellor that might make it exempt.
2020-5-21
Use props
Jimmy Singh
lvl.3
United States

You never know. Mavic Air 2 might become part of it. Autel is crazy.
2020-5-21
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

No one knows, but I'm fairly certain DJI will handle things.
2020-5-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Jimmy Singh Posted at 5-21 05:57

Just forget this beat-up.
It's something-nothing.
Leave it to the lawyers.
2020-5-21
Use props
weidji
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158196 ft
United States

If its the actually remove DJI’s the market on here America. Then can end on Amazon or Bestbuy?
2020-5-21
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jimmy Singh Posted at 5-21 05:57

For a company that paints its drone orange it has to be CRAZY!!!!  
2020-5-21
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I wonder if Autel may have some way in for providing for U.S. based drone manufacturers and they are trying to secure a future in the industry.
2020-5-22
Use props
Jimmy Singh
lvl.3
United States

i would like DJI to chime in to assure future buyers. i was so closed on pulling trigger on Mavic Air 2 but did not buy due to this issue. I am a novice pilot and god forbid down the road something happens then i am done with $1050 drone
2020-5-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Jimmy Singh Posted at 5-22 04:08
i would like DJI to chime in to assure future buyers. i was so closed on pulling trigger on Mavic Air 2 but did not buy due to this issue. I am a novice pilot and god forbid down the road something happens then i am done with $1050 drone

Don't be so silly.
It's not going to make any difference at all.
2020-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Jimmy Singh Posted at 5-22 04:08
i would like DJI to chime in to assure future buyers. i was so closed on pulling trigger on Mavic Air 2 but did not buy due to this issue. I am a novice pilot and god forbid down the road something happens then i am done with $1050 drone

I think all patents have been judged to be unpatentable, so not a problem anymore.

https://dronedj.com/2020/05/22/d ... tent-dispute-round/

2020-5-23
Use props
Hotrod in Daytona
lvl.3
United States

Seems Autel has already lost:    The patents seem to be void. https://dronedj.com/2020/05/22/d ... tent-dispute-round/
2020-5-23
Use props
djiuser_OUPyZGyECgBJ
lvl.1

United States

Regardless of the court case I'd still be wary of purchasing now, if you damge your drone and have to send it in, it's a nightmare to deal with repair support. There is absolutely no way to directly communicate to the person working on your expensive piece of equipment.
Good luck with the DJI Repair "Black Box". I'm dealing with that nightmare right now. It is completely unacceptable to spend $1500-1800 on a piece of equipment and not be able to talk to or interact with the tech who is actually handling your equipment. Especially when they don't even read your case explanation and reason for sending in the drone, then send you an estimate for repairs that have nothing to do with the gimbal and the reason you sent it in to begin with. I seriously question their tech's ability since they never even checked the issue I sent it in to begin with. Then I had to wait on the phone in a que for an hour to get someone on the  other side of the planet from the repair center to have them now send a message to Texas and wait up 48 hrs more for a response! Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe this companies handling of us customers. Unless you budget for DJI care refresh, it's not even worth investing time researching these drones let alone the money in purchasing one. This seems to be very bad practices from this company.
2020-5-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_OUPyZGyECgBJ Posted at 5-26 16:53
Regardless of the court case I'd still be wary of purchasing now, if you damge your drone and have to send it in, it's a nightmare to deal with repair support. There is absolutely no way to directly communicate to the person working on your expensive piece of equipment.
Good luck with the DJI Repair "Black Box". I'm dealing with that nightmare right now. It is completely unacceptable to spend $1500-1800 on a piece of equipment and not be able to talk to or interact with the tech who is actually handling your equipment. Especially when they don't even read your case explanation and reason for sending in the drone, then send you an estimate for repairs that have nothing to do with the gimbal and the reason you sent it in to begin with. I seriously question their tech's ability since they never even checked the issue I sent it in to begin with. Then I had to wait on the phone in a que for an hour to get someone on the  other side of the planet from the repair center to have them now send a message to Texas and wait up 48 hrs more for a response! Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe this companies handling of us customers. Unless you budget for DJI care refresh, it's not even worth investing time researching these drones let alone the money in purchasing one. This seems to be very bad practices from this company.

"Good luck with the DJI Repair "Black Box". I'm dealing with that nightmare right now. It is completely unacceptable to spend $1500-1800 on a piece of equipment and not be able to talk to or interact with the tech who is actually handling your equipment."

But of course if you send your iPhone in to Apple to be repaired, you have the option of speaking to the person repairing it? Not a chance.....
2020-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules