Free prop guards mod which is not detected by extra payload set...
8791 13 2020-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
philgib
lvl.3

France

Hello guys,

The coming mod is UNDER YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY AND AT YOUR OWN COSTS ok ?
I am just sharing here what I found our for my own MM use

I really love prop guards, but :
- too sensitive to the wind
- payload mode automatically activated, restricting the volume of flight zone to 50m range and 30m altitude

I decided to cut through the DJI prop guards to take the weight down and thus see if the payload setting / wind effect could be offset

Step 1 :
First 2 pics, I cut off ( cuts are gross, I know, could be better ) the top part.
That is about 20 grams off

Payload unfortunately still automatically detected and payload mode switches automatically on

Step 2 :
I cut off the middle stick connecting the front and back guard protection

Then the magic happened:
- the payload is not detected any longer
- Total Estimated prop guard extra weight under 15 grams, 25 grams were saved
- I suppose that the wind will have much less effect

Step 3 would be to design and 3d print the same exact prop guards with 2 changes :
- attachment in plastic and not in metal
- circle portion flat instead of vertical

1 added advantages : easy to carry around, I think it even fits the DJI little carry bad sold with it.

Next step :
If you look under the prop guards, you will notice that the beams are not filled in but have a C shape.. I wonder if we could use this empty space to slide in some extra very light legs, which would also serve as prop guards on the horizontal plan, as we would then get rid of the present prop guards and only use the attachment and one or two C-shape beam.

*** Again, this mod will ruin your original prop guards, and I cannot guarantee that the payload mode decides to switch on at any moment due to the wind, or due to a new DJI firmware increasing the payload sensitivity. But I feel much better, safety wise, to still have some prop guards :-)

Cheers

2020-5-21
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

2020-5-21
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

- too sensitive to the wind .. totally agreed
2020-5-21
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

For those afraid of cutting I suggest an Aliexpress sightseeing tour
for example this item https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000549180246.html
2020-5-21
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

m80116 Posted at 5-21 02:44
For those afraid of cutting I suggest an Aliexpress sightseeing tour
for example this item https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000549180246.html
[view_image]

Looks like I re-invented the wheel... :-)

The weight is the issue though. Specs read 55 grams, way too much, I guess that this is the postal package total weight and not the prop guards weight
The great thing about those Alixexpress prop guards is that there are 2 arms at about 60 degrees instead of 3 with at 45 degrees, so less weight.

I am not sure if the locking system is made of metal or plastic

ON bangood, it says 26.5 grams. That is too much, payload mode will be initiated automatically

https://www.banggood.com/4Pcs-Quick-Release-Propeller-Props-Guard-Protection-Cover-Ring-for-DJI-Mavic-Mini-Drone-p-1625641.html?rmmds=buy&ID=233&cur_warehouse=CN
2020-5-21
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

I suspect some muppet will want to fit prop guards to make the rig look impressive and then fly out into the blue yonder. They will not realise that the wind resistance has increased and never return in the breeze.
We all realise prop guards are for use when you are in a confined space or navigating  where obstructions are close by.
The muppet won't, they will think it looks cool and is insurance against their lack of flying skill. I hope they understand all your hard work and fly safe.
2020-5-21
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

On my side, that is because seagulls bomb dive on me after only a few minutes of flight, and their tactic is to touch the drone with their wingtip while bomb diving.
So I need something for the freakin' seagulls to touch which is not a prop.

2020-5-21
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

2020-5-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

philgib Posted at 5-21 03:47
On my side, that is because seagulls bomb dive on me after only a few minutes of flight, and their tactic is to touch the drone with their wingtip while bomb diving.

Are these strong enough to reset a seagull?
2020-5-21
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

No, but the guard is certainly more efficient for immediate landing than a broken prop :-)
2020-5-21
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice mod!!!
2020-5-21
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

Found this excellent stuff. Same spirit as my above mod, and STL is ready for you to print.

I see if I can improve the design and print it in PETG ( a bit more resilient to shocks) while keeping the weight below 15 grams
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4073776/comments
2020-5-21
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 456 ft
United States

philgib Posted at 2020-5-21 03:47
On my side, that is because seagulls bomb dive on me after only a few minutes of flight, and their tactic is to touch the drone with their wingtip while bomb diving.

I realize I'm bringing this thread back from the dead but due to it's content, I must make a statement about this wonderfully designed defensive device, might even call it a force field, put NCC 1701 on the hull and call it a day but seagulls are ruthless especially when you're running a shrimp boat (ask me how I know) . I totally get the reason behind this mod.
2023-11-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

philgib Posted at 2020-5-21 03:47

Dive bombing will still be your enemy and actually worse now because you've removed arms so even more of a chance that the wings etc will touch the props...
2023-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules