Preloading Maps Possible With the DJI Fly App?
6958 8 2020-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Selah1234
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67221 ft
United States

Hi. I haven't had very good weather lately to be able to fly my new Mavic Air 2 but this morning the wind was only about 10 mph with occasional stronger gusts so I went out and did a short duration low altitude flight. Almost immediately I was alerted to a plane in the area which I visually noted was about a mile away. I clicked on the map in the lower left corner of the display screen and saw no real details as to where the plane actually was. I don't have phone capability with my Ipad Mini 4 display and didn't have any WIFI availability where I was flying.
Is there a way to preload maps on the DJI Fly app? I really appreciate any input on this. Thanks.

2020-5-21
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

yes, open the app, go to camera view and open the map in the lower left corner...than browse the map wherever you plan to flight, zoom in if necessary. Test it by switching to airplane mode and doing the same exercize
2020-5-21
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

You don't even need to enter camera view or airplane mode. Open the DJI Fly app, click on the blue pin in the upper left corner, and you will see the map for your current location. You can now scroll around or use the looking glass icon in the upper right corner to change the map location. The map data will be cached on the device and be available when you don't have an internet connection.
2020-5-21
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, you can.
2020-5-21
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

MisterFrag Posted at 5-21 10:36
You don't even need to enter camera view or airplane mode. Open the DJI Fly app, click on the blue pin in the upper left corner, and you will see the map for your current location. You can now scroll around or use the looking glass icon in the upper right corner to change the map location. The map data will be cached on the device and be available when you don't have an internet connection.

actually that is not correct. Caching only works from the map in camera view...You would have known better if you even tried it...good luck caching the way you describe it.
2020-5-21
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Thank you for correcting me. I’m new to DJI and use an iPhone with the controller, and assumed the two maps used the same data. If they did, one wouldn’t need to connect to a controller and aircraft at all — seems like an odd design.
2020-5-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Selah1234. Currently, the DJI Fly app does not support to preload maps. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.
2020-5-22
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

MisterFrag Posted at 5-21 16:06
Thank you for correcting me. I’m new to DJI and use an iPhone with the controller, and assumed the two maps used the same data. If they did, one wouldn’t need to connect to a controller and aircraft at all — seems like an odd design.

yeah logic is not working the same way with DJI software unfortunately...i thought the same, but contrary to common sense those are "different" maps..and it is not clearly explained nowhere nor you can be sure how long the caching works and if there is a limit in size when it starts overwriting...
2020-5-22
Use props
cLaNzKiLLeR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1360007 ft
Malaysia

There you go
2020-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules