CPU overload on host device controller. Thoughts on multthreading.
339 0 2020-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skraeling
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121407 ft
United States

I will preface this post by stating that yes I am beyond aware that my iphone and ipad are getting significantly long in the tooth.  
This is not a complaint post AT ALL.  It is more so just an obvservation of how older tech when properly cared for behaves.

My poor ipad air 2, its starting to struggle lately even running games. As an example. clash of clans.  It does not have enough memory or storage AND just raw cpu horsepower.  Again I am not surpirised by this.  The thing is going on 4+ years old, which in tech terms is ancient.

my iphone, a 6s+... shockingly is running almost the exact same if not the same processor family.  however it has the added advantage of me having just replaced its battery (also rear main camera) so it will be supplying peak voltages and thus giving greater performance under extreme demands compared to the ipad which has never had anything replaced.

I tried running dji fly off my ipad.  several crashes where the app just flat out went *poof* while flying my MA2.  Again I do not blame the app completely and I will get to my reasoning why.  Its running the same processor essentially as my iphone right?  At worse the same architechure at a slower speed.

now from my digging around my ipad air2, it has a signifcantly worse rating for single core peroformance.  multi core threaded performance between the two was roughly equal. the single core scores were not even close.

my iphone scored way better in single core perf vs my ipad air 2.  now multi core / threaded perf was about equal.  this raised the question to me.

mobile apps, are they still mostly single threaded and if not does multi core perf outweigh single core perf.  clearly when running dgi fly it does.  I have to date encountered no less than 3+ errors of (cpu limit performance issues will arise) causing the app to flat out hard crash or go black screen.  I dont remember the exact phrasing right now, but you hit this limit and things will start go awry.

this is the now current AMD vs Intel battle.
2020-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules