Anyone tested all the video settings and determined what's the best?
12Next >
1662 42 2020-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

I've had a couple of flights in 4k 25p both standard and cinelike and even at base iso of 100 and great light, im still noticing an extremely noisey image...

Anyone tinkered to see what works best?

Right now with the same light and settings, both my Mavic pro and Mavic air 1 are showing no much less than than my new Mavic air 2 is showing
2020-5-22
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I see very little noise at ISO 100 and 200. How are you viewing the recorded video?
2020-5-22
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

I thought I was replying to a different post, and this forum makes me type something to leave!
2020-5-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It sounds if you are not viewing the video that is recorded on the SD card. With an ISO of 100 and good light you should not see any video noise.
2020-5-22
Use props
Stoney.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1439265 ft
United States

I use the 4k cinelike whatever frame rate suits best and normal I've noticed some noise but that was only in lowlight conditions I've flown it a lot in normal lighting and have no issues at all. It should show less noise than both of your other drones since the sensor is a 1/2 too. If you showed me a video then I could try to help you out better.
2020-5-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Ashlukewalton, may we verify whether the original files in the SD card have the same noisy issue? Could you please upload a short clip to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here so that we could further check?
2020-5-25
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 5-22 17:47
It sounds if you are not viewing the video that is recorded on the SD card. With an ISO of 100 and good light you should not see any video noise.

viewing on my monitor, the direct files from the Sd card...
2020-5-25
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

I formatted the Sd card, but I'll do another flight and show you what I mean
2020-5-25
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-25 01:56
Hi Ashlukewalton, may we verify whether the original files in the SD card have the same noisy issue? Could you please upload a short clip to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here so that we could further check?

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... zCUrcYhq_oxIto4Ud0_

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... AsVzQCJTHhEfi7OqhbM

Links to two short clips straight from the Sd card, shot in 4k cinetone
2020-5-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Ashlukewalton Posted at 5-25 16:42
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MC9tNTJsKA1N2zCUrcYhq_oxIto4Ud0_

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jA5SwXvRxz0yqAsVzQCJTHhEfi7OqhbM

OK, I looked at those and could not see any video noise at all, but I did note they were quite under-exposed. It would be worth your time learning how to use the Histogram tool and the technique of ETTR (Exposing To The Right).
2020-5-25
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

These were +0.3 EV. ETTR and using the histogram...
2020-5-25
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 5-25 17:08
OK, I looked at those and could not see any video noise at all, but I did note they were quite under-exposed. It would be worth your time learning how to use the Histogram tool and the technique of ETTR (Exposing To The Right).

The fact that you can't see ANY video noise at all. Leads me to think you need to get your eyes checked haha
2020-5-25
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I can't see them in 4k, are these 1080p videos?
2020-5-25
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

I downloaded the videos. What I see isn't noise, but the consequence of 4:2:0 color sampling and the high degree of sharpening by the Mavic's encoder. The brush seems really nervous as the drone moves. You can mitigate this by applying a small amount of blurring.

2020-5-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Ashlukewalton Posted at 5-25 19:08
The fact that you can't see ANY video noise at all. Leads me to think you need to get your eyes checked haha

Does 50 years working in broadcast television mean anything to you?
2020-5-25
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

him7403 Posted at 5-25 19:37
I can't see them in 4k, are these 1080p videos?

did you download them?

yeah, they're 4k
2020-5-26
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 5-25 20:17
Does 50 years working in broadcast television mean anything to you?

just tells me you're either almost, or over 70.
2020-5-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Ashlukewalton Posted at 5-26 17:07
just tells me you're either almost, or over 70.

Ah, a young smart arse. OK, then here is the story, you have shot the mateial using a log algorithm, D Cinelike, it requires you to post-produce it in order to recover the original scene, which you have not done. In fact putting the log file up as is pretty useless, as it would look a lot better after you processed it. The scene is also woefully under-exposed, which is also an indication that you don't have a clue photographically. You need to get a clue, as you have just embarrassed yourself by putting up unfinished rubbish.
2020-5-26
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 5-26 17:15
Ah, a young smart arse. OK, then here is the story, you have shot the mateial using a log algorithm, D Cinelike, it requires you to post-produce it in order to recover the original scene, which you have not done. In fact putting the log file up as is pretty useless, as it would look a lot better after you processed it. The scene is also woefully under-exposed, which is also an indication that you don't have a clue photographically. You need to get a clue, as you have just embarrassed yourself by putting up unfinished rubbish.

D-cinelike, isn't actually a Log Image...
2020-5-26
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 5-26 17:15

No ones embarrassed here, Grandpa...

I uploaded an out-of-camera example of something I shot because I noticed that the quality is looking a lot noisier than my Mavic Air 1 and my original Mavic Pro.

Editing it would defeat the point.

I know I can use neat video plug ins to clean the image up, but that wasn't what I was asking...
I was posting to see if this was a particular problem with my drone unit or if every owner of this drone was finding similar results.
2020-5-26
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

MisterFrag Posted at 5-25 19:57
I downloaded the videos. What I see isn't noise, but the consequence of 4:2:0 color sampling and the high degree of sharpening by the Mavic's encoder. The brush seems really nervous as the drone moves. You can mitigate this by applying a small amount of blurring.

Perhaps this could be the case of why my other drones footage with very the same video profile could look better!

I am using an nd filter so I can get as close as possible to the correct shutter speed for 25p and I use neat video for premiere pro which seemed to clean it up pretty nicely.

I was just wondering if anyone else who owns the drone was seeing the same kinda thing

Thanks for taking the time to take a look! Appreciate your input
2020-5-26
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

I don’t think Neat Video would be of any help since the problem is over-sharpening by the camera (made a little bit worse by the 4:2:0 chroma sampling). DJI needs to give us access to the complete image settings for the camera.

My guess is that for your other drones you reduced the sharpness from the default settings?
2020-5-26
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

MisterFrag Posted at 5-26 18:10
I don’t think Neat Video would be of any help since the problem is over-sharpening by the camera (made a little bit worse by the 4:2:0 chroma sampling). DJI needs to give us access to the complete image settings for the camera.

My guess is that for your other drones you reduced the sharpness from the default settings?

I've done some initial tests and it definitely helps, but you're right. We definitely need DJI to give us access to the complete image settings to unlock the potential of this camera.

That is correct, all my other drones have their video settings tweaked, although I reset my Mavic Air 1 back to the factory settings for a side by side and it still seemed to look cleaner
2020-5-26
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Ashlukewalton Posted at 5-26 20:44
I've done some initial tests and it definitely helps, but you're right. We definitely need DJI to give us access to the complete image settings to unlock the potential of this camera.

That is correct, all my other drones have their video settings tweaked, although I reset my Mavic Air 1 back to the factory settings for a side by side and it still seemed to look cleaner

The lighting was not appropriate. The trees were underexposed that's why you saw grains.
In bad lighting condition using HDR is your best bet.
2020-5-27
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

him7403 Posted at 5-27 00:00
The lighting was not appropriate. The trees were underexposed that's why you saw grains.

Personally, I dont like the lack of post processing ability that comes with the HDR.

Also only being able to use auto exposure automatically makes it a no-go when it comes to shooting content for my clients
2020-5-27
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

him7403 Posted at 5-27 00:00

That’s a common misconception. You’ll only get noise in dark areas if you have to brighten the image.

Consider a case where manual settings are completely wrong and the entire image is severely underexposed to the point where it looks like it was taken at night. Much of the image will simply be black but there won’t be any noise until you try to brighten the image in post.
2020-5-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

I‘m so sorry for the late response, the video will be forwarded to our engineers for further analysis, I will keep you updated once I get any suggestions from them, please wait patiently, thank you very much.
2020-6-1
Use props
Ashley Walton
lvl.2

Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-1 05:59
I‘m so sorry for the late response, the video will be forwarded to our engineers for further analysis, I will keep you updated once I get any suggestions from them, please wait patiently, thank you very much.

Not to worry. Thanks for getting back to me.

We really need to see the parameters for video unlocked so we can refuse the sharpness, contrast and saturation
2020-6-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ashlukewalton Posted at 5-26 20:44

Having looked at your video, I think it would be criminal for dji to add anything else for you. It’s obvious you’re a thick ignorant idiot who knows nothing about drones flying or filming, you know less about people who are trying to help you .
My guess is you’d be better off getting a kite , it seems you’ve been weened off the tit to early.......
2020-6-3
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I say it does have a lot of noise in the shadows no matter what the settings are in video mode.  But it is a fine noise and I don't mind it, unless I really stare at it.  It is over sharpened.  I prefer the image greatly over my M2Z which was blurry on the edges. Colors and resolution look much better, too.
2020-6-3
Use props
Ashley Walton
lvl.2

Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 6-3 01:01
Having looked at your video, I think it would be criminal for dji to add anything else for you. It’s obvious you’re a thick ignorant idiot who knows nothing about drones flying or filming, you know less about people who are trying to help you .
My guess is you’d be better off getting a kite , it seems you’ve been weened off the tit to early.......

I think we'll leave that decision to dji. No one was asking your opinion any further
2020-6-3
Use props
Ashley Walton
lvl.2

Australia

Blellow Posted at 6-3 10:28
I say it does have a lot of noise in the shadows no matter what the settings are in video mode.  But it is a fine noise and I don't mind it, unless I really stare at it.  It is over sharpened.  I prefer the image greatly over my M2Z which was blurry on the edges. Colors and resolution look much better, too.

Thanks for taking a look
Interesting to hear you prefer the image over the M2Z

I'm not unhappy with the image that much... just a few things I think they could tweak to make it an even better image
2020-6-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Ashley Walton Posted at 6-2 22:24
Not to worry. Thanks for getting back to me.

We really need to see the parameters for video unlocked so we can refuse the sharpness, contrast and saturation

Were these two videos shot in D-Cinelike? If yes, D-Cinelike prioritizes dynamic range for more control during post-production, it is recommended to edit via the third-party professional software to reduce the noise, such as reduce the brightness, increase the contrast, adjust the partial color, or please have a try in Normal Color Mode.
For the performance of D-Cinelike, we will also keep optimizing via the firmware, please wait a few more deyas and try with the new firmware.
2020-6-4
Use props
Ashley Walton
lvl.2

Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-4 04:56
Were these two videos shot in D-Cinelike? If yes, D-Cinelike prioritizes dynamic range for more control during post-production, it is recommended to edit via the third-party professional software to reduce the noise, such as reduce the brightness, increase the contrast, adjust the partial color, or please have a try in Normal Color Mode.
For the performance of D-Cinelike, we will also keep optimizing via the firmware, please wait a few more deyas and try with the new firmware.

So there's a new firmware coming in a couple of days?
2020-6-4
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-3 01:01

IPML at this reply, hahaaaaaa
2020-6-4
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634505 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-4 04:56

Hello
There is a new firmware coming? what about the Smart Controller support for Mavic Air 2?
2020-6-4
Use props
Journey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178806 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have noticed the excessive noise of the image produced by air 2 as well. I have seen many people comment on the same issues on Facebook drone groups. Looking at how the image is recorded in D cinelike the mids are boosted quite a lot. It's nothing out of the ordinary as you need to remember that this is a tiny 8mm sensor programmed to pull as much dynamic range out of it as possible. I have m2p also and to avoid filming in 10bit (long story) I had to resort to none profile with custom style settings of +1 sharpness and -2 or -3 on contrast. The resulting noise was much like what I see on your clip. Maybe due to a larger pixel size I would estimate it was 20% less. The finished product after appropriate processing is very good. I recomend demonising the image but fixing the contrast ratio or exposure if the d cinelike image will reduce the visible noise, re compression on it's own will always eat up a lot of noise as form compression algorithm standpoint it is excess information.
2020-6-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

ET214 Posted at 6-4 14:22
Hello
There is a new firmware coming? what about the Smart Controller support for Mavic Air 2?

The new firmware has been released on 15th, June, but it doesn't include the Smart controller's compatibility, please stay tuned to the future update.
2020-6-18
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634505 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-18 01:45
The new firmware has been released on 15th, June, but it doesn't include the Smart controller's compatibility, please stay tuned to the future update.

Hello
Thank you for the update.
Will there be any additional updates to control the gimbal sensitivity settings like we can do on the Mavic Mini?
2020-6-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

ET214 Posted at 6-18 06:20
Hello
Thank you for the update.
Will there be any additional updates to control the gimbal sensitivity settings like we can do on the Mavic Mini?

We've received many feedback like this and all have been forwarded to the R&D department for attention, hope it will be available in the future.
2020-6-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules