Frame Rate Issues
463 9 2020-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chitown Drone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 773894 ft
United States

Took my new Mavic Air out for a couple of test flights.  Everything seems to be working normally for 4k 30 fps , however I seem to be having issues with other frame rates.

I downloaded footage from 4k 60 fps and 4k 30 fps in HDR mode.  Footage is choppy.  Anybody else having issues?  Will update my post with some video sample in a bit, but wanted to see if others were having the issues or if something is defective with my MA2.

Thanks!
2020-5-23
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Your computer os unable to decode the video in realtime.
2020-5-23
Use props
Chitown Drone
lvl.1
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 5-23 06:54
Your computer os unable to decode the video in realtime.

Thanks for the reply.  I tried running on two different machines:

1. macOS Catalina, version 10.15.4  (2013 MBP).  
2. macOS Catalina, version 10.15.4, iMac, late 2013

Is it the OS or potentially an issue with having an older graphics card? I am a casual video editor and just dipping my toes into exploring other frame rates.  What is the optimal way to view a 60 fps video?
2020-5-23
Use props
vitaly258
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311375 ft
United Kingdom

Chitown Drone Posted at 5-23 07:05
Thanks for the reply.  I tried running on two different machines:

1. macOS Catalina, version 10.15.4  (2013 MBP).  

those two macs are quite old to handle hevc codec.
2020-5-23
Use props
Chitown Drone
lvl.1
United States

vitaly258 Posted at 5-23 07:20
those two macs are quite old to handle hevc codec.

Yes, I think that is my issue here.  I viewed the video on my iPhone 11 Pro and it looked beautiful!  Definitely a computer issue for me.  I think my max refresh rate is only around 30 Hz on the machines so that is likely my issue.  

I think I would have to buy a new display and some hdmi adapters.  Otherwise this is a great excuse for a new machine!!

Is the key for viewing 60 fps the refresh rate of a display?  I am still pretty new at this thanks!
2020-5-23
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I would just transcode to a codec that is easier to edit, like ProRes.
2020-5-23
Use props
paultbg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131204 ft
United Kingdom

Chitown Drone Posted at 5-23 07:27
Yes, I think that is my issue here.  I viewed the video on my iPhone 11 Pro and it looked beautiful!  Definitely a computer issue for me.  I think my max refresh rate is only around 30 Hz on the machines so that is likely my issue.  

I think I would have to buy a new display and some hdmi adapters.  Otherwise this is a great excuse for a new machine!!

Your issue is not the monitor per se but the processor & video card. They are just not able to render that high definition in real time playback with the given bitrate.

Also, what you can try is to set in the app the codec to H264 as H265 is a bit more demanding and not running always smooth on all systems.   

One workaround is to use an editing software to reduce 4K to 1080p and save it that way. But that will defeat the purpose of recording in 4k, right ?
2020-5-23
Use props
paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Chitown Drone Posted at 5-23 07:27
Yes, I think that is my issue here.  I viewed the video on my iPhone 11 Pro and it looked beautiful!  Definitely a computer issue for me.  I think my max refresh rate is only around 30 Hz on the machines so that is likely my issue.  

Your issue is not the monitor per se but the processor & video card. They are just not able to render that high definition in real time playback with the given bitrate.

Also, what you can try is to set in the app the codec to H264 as H265 is a bit more demanding and not running always smooth on all systems.   

One workaround is to use an editing software to reduce 4K to 1080p and save it that way. But that will defeat the purpose of recording in 4k, right ?
2020-5-23
Use props
Chitown Drone
lvl.1
United States

paultbg Posted at 5-23 11:01

Also, what you can try is to set in the app the codec to H264 as H265 is a bit more demanding and not running always smooth on all systems.   

Yes, I am definitely realizing I may need to upgrade my machine.  What is the main difference between H264 and H265 codecs.  Any effect on video quality?  Thanks!
2020-5-28
Use props
fans0252a390
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Chitown Drone Posted at 5-28 19:54
Yes, I am definitely realizing I may need to upgrade my machine.  What is the main difference between H264 and H265 codecs.  Any effect on video quality?  Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply, I don't come here too often.
There you go : https://www.2mcctv.com/blog/2017_07_18-what-is-the-difference-between-h264-and-h265/
2020-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules