Currently have a Spark, adding a Mavic Mini - recommendations?
638 10 2020-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Radman
lvl.1
United States

Hi all,

I am preparing to purchase a Mavic Mini Fly More Combo. I've been using a Spark combo and would like to know (from those of you who have experience with both), what are the primary differences when actually using them, and what should I pay attention to the most with the Mavic? Any recommendations appreciated! Thanks....

2020-5-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have a spark so I can't help you there but if I may suggest....any chance you could up that to a mavic air 2?  just had to throw that out there because I have both the mini and the ma2 and if both had been available at the same time there is no way I would have purchased the mini.  it's a cool drone but it's just so frustrating with the wind.  I so wish I had never bought it and unfortunately I don't think I can get rid of it because I have so much invented in the mini (from accessories to refresh, etc).  hopefully maybe helping you with a future purchase.
2020-5-23
Use props
Radman
lvl.1
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-23 14:10
I don't have a spark so I can't help you there but if I may suggest....any chance you could up that to a mavic air 2?  just had to throw that out there because I have both the mini and the ma2 and if both had been available at the same time there is no way I would have purchased the mini.  it's a cool drone but it's just so frustrating with the wind.  I so wish I had never bought it and unfortunately I don't think I can get rid of it because I have so much invented in the mini (from accessories to refresh, etc).  hopefully maybe helping you with a future purchase.

No, I'm not locked in to the Mini. I understand there's a Mavic Air and a Mavic Air 2, what's the difference?
2020-5-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Radman Posted at 5-23 16:09
No, I'm not locked in to the Mini. I understand there's a Mavic Air and a Mavic Air 2, what's the difference?

there is a world of difference between the Mavic Air and the Mavic Air 2 but since I have never owned the original Mavic Air, perhaps someone else can chime in.  Regardless, you should only buy the Mavic Air 2 which is probably most suitable for 90% of those choosing between the two models.  Imho
2020-5-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

there is a world of difference between the Mavic Air and the Mavic Air 2 but since I have never owned the original Mavic Air, perhaps someone else can chime in.  Regardless, you should only buy the Mavic Air 2 which is probably most suitable for 90% of those choosing between the two models.  Imho

btw, I can tell you now, forget about the mini.
2020-5-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

btw, I can tell you now, forget about the mini.
2020-5-23
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Radman there are quit a few Mini pilots who also have Sparks and can give you some input and there differences between the two which you asked for. Also there are pilots who have Mini's and just purchased the new Mavic Air 2, When others wake up later this morning you'll get more information that you requested. Only you can make a decision on your needs and wants and what to buy, Unless their paying for it.
2020-5-25
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavic Air 2
Occusync-better range
Better wind handling capabilities
Better/larger camera sensor
Very portable
Low to medium price and a great starter, and once you learn more.....you DON't need to buy up....you already have a great drone!

If I didn't already have the M2Pro,  I would have already ordered the MA2

Randy

2020-5-25
Use props
Radman
lvl.1
United States

Hi all, Thank you all so much for the feedback -- I can see that it pays to ask for advice!  It appears that the Mavic Air 2 will be my next purchase, just not quite as soon as any of the others I was considering  ($$$, of course!).

One more question: with the Spark, it was obvious from the beginning that I needed an Apple product (iPhone or iPad) to get the most stable operation, as any of the Android units I tried were just not up to par -- they worked, but operationally it seemed that the Apple products were 100% compatible, while the Android products were, say, 85% compatible. On the newer DJI products, will they work as well with Android as with Apple, or are they still "Apple-centric"? Info appreciated! Thanks....
2020-5-26
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

The only reason I see for buying the Mini is the fact that it is less than 250g so out of the regulation, so you can fly it in places where the Mavic Air or the Spark would not be permitted. That is why I bought the Mini, 3 weeks ago, but I have not had the chance to try it yet because UPS have dronenapping it and holding it hostage for 3 weeks. I guess I would have to give them a ransom in order to finaly have them deliver it. Still waiting for a ransom demand but all they said was that my drone is held in a container.

I have a Spark and got my stupid basic pilot for it, but I want to be able to fly in my area, which is in the city. that is the only reason I bought it. I saw no point of buying the Mavic Air because it is to restricted. What's the point if being able to fly 10km away if you must keep your drone within visual at all time?  Also the Mavic Air 2 is nice but 3 times the price of the Mini.

The major downfall of the Mini is its sensibility to wind. Since the wind at 100 meters is often much stronger, you must learn to fly first against the wind first, so if the drone loose contact, it will drift back with the wind.  If you have tons of money to waste, then the Mavic Air 2 and you don't wish to fly in the city, then the Air 2 is probably the way to go. As for me, I want to be able to take video and photos in the city, no can do with the Air 2.
2020-5-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Radman. Thank you for choosing DJI and for reaching out. I hope you can get the best information with regards to this matter from our valued DJI co pilots. In addition, I will post a link where in you can compare the DJI Spark to the DJI Mavic Mini and with other DJI consumer drones ( https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav ). Thank you and please stay safe always.

2020-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules