Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery on Mavic 2 pro is blown up
2337 27 2020-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Maxoometer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 654167 ft
Italy

Hi there,
i have the mavic 2 pro now for nearly a year. now when i went for a flight i saw that the battery is not fitting in the spot correctly...so i did some close inspection on the battery and noticed that the battery on the bottom is kinda blown up so the battery won't fir perfectly in the mavic...
so now i don't know what to do...any ideas?

thanks!

cheers
-max
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-24 um 18.43.07.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-24 um 18.43.25.png
2020-5-24
Use props
Ken Storm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

Only use it as a powerbank, I would not trust that battery. It may be OK or it may just die mid flight or even just fall out.
2020-5-24
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Is it just me or am I seeing a lot more threads about batteries swelling lately.
2020-5-24
Use props
Brentjuh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 115728 ft
Netherlands

Yes i got the same issue with the battery. I had to buy 2 new one because they went out of warrenty :S
2020-5-24
Use props
KDP +
lvl.4
Flight distance : 947930 ft
Belgium

These 'swollen batteries' are an almost daily topic passing by...

Did anybody get an official answer from DJI on this ?
2020-5-24
Use props
KDP +
lvl.4
Belgium

Hello Maxoometer, what is the number of chargings for this battery ?
2020-5-24
Use props
KDP +
lvl.4
Belgium

Brentjuh Posted at 5-24 10:19
Yes i got the same issue with the battery. I had to buy 2 new one because they went out of warrenty :S

Hello Brentjuh,

Could you also share the number of chargings your batteries have ?

Thanks
2020-5-24
Use props
Maxoometer
lvl.2
Italy

KDP + Posted at 5-24 11:02

Have to check that, but i think around 15
2020-5-24
Use props
Maxoometer
lvl.2
Italy

KDP + Posted at 5-24 11:02

I checked the cycles now on my batteries..i have 19 and 23 and 25 cycles on my batteries...
2020-5-24
Use props
kykmavic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

Maxoometer Posted at 5-24 11:59
I checked the cycles now on my batteries..i have 19 and 23 and 25 cycles on my batteries...

It would be nice to have an answer from DJI.
2020-5-24
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

AlanHd Posted at 5-24 09:57
Is it just me or am I seeing a lot more threads about batteries swelling lately.

After a year, and his flying mileage seems very low. Does not equate...hope he can get it sorted out.
2020-5-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'd dispose of that as soon a possible.  
2020-5-25
Use props
Maxoometer
lvl.2
Italy

I looked it up, the batteries/drone is 1,5 years old...but seems odd to me anyway
2020-5-25
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Its a VERY common mavic battery problem.  DJI dont really care.

A huge number of the initial ones swelled and became unusable without 6 months/30 cycles or so.

My first 3 all became unusable after 20 cycles and 7 months.  I bought another 3.

12 months after that all 3 new batteries now swell and pop out one side of the drone regularly.

So 6/6 for swollen/dead batteries. Total cost maybe $600....
2020-5-25
Use props
Maxoometer
lvl.2
Italy

I'm in contact at the moment with dji, I let u know what they say about that
2020-5-25
Use props
KDP +
lvl.4
Belgium

Maxoometer Posted at 5-25 01:55
I'm in contact at the moment with dji, I let u know what they say about that

Let's see what's their answer...
2020-5-25
Use props
Maxoometer
lvl.2
Italy

KDP + Posted at 5-25 07:15
Let's see what's their answer...

they can't replace the battery because it's older than one year, so out of warranty...but if I want they can give me a voucher for a discount to buy new batteries
2020-5-25
Use props
KDP +
lvl.4
Belgium

I hope it is a serious voucher (not just 10% or something..)

2020-5-25
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I would guess its the same answer theyve given to 100s of other peoples over the last 12 months or so.
2020-5-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there max. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the batteries of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Battery swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used and stored. Hoping for your kind understanding that every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. Again I am sorry and thank you for understanding.
2020-6-3
Use props
KDP +
lvl.4
Belgium

Rustyem Posted at 6-8 03:30
Hi DJI Stephen. I am having the same issue, and it is evident I’m not alone. Given these batteries are clearly not that old, not had much use, and it’s a common issue, it should be addressed further by DJI. For a high end expensive product, I’m very disappointed.

Totally agree !
2020-6-8
Use props
NCPrestonDev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13946959 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think DJI has made their position on these pretty clear. They post the same response in every thread. I have a Mavic2 Pro from the first run, and my batteries were manufactured in July of 2018. I got the Fly more package when I ordered this, and I use my Mavic several times a week as I work in the development industry and am constantly flying construction sites. I also purchased DJI care when I got this, mainly due to the fact that it was a new product and who knows what bugs still needed working out. Last year right before my DJI care expired, I sent in my first bulging battery. DJI's response was basically "sorry, batteries are not covered under DJI care" I stopped using that battery and ordered two more new ones. My remaining two original batteries are now starting to swell. One has 58 charge cycles, and one has 45. I too would expect them to last longer, but I also understand the extreme conditions these batteries are exposed to and that they basically have a useful life. I am not a chemical engineer and don't understand exactly what a reasonable life of a Lithium Ion Polymer battery is, and if what is happening is just a result of a normal process of breaking down over time, regardless of the charge cycles. Maybe if someone can chime in on that that actually knows, that would help. Other than the batteries swelling, this craft has been EXTREMELY reliable, safe, and has provided countless hours of high quality footage. I am a huge fan of it, and would buy another if this one died or crashed.
2020-6-8
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

it is common on this kind of battery. Lipo Battery needs a property care. it is fundamental to follow the rules. dont store it fully charged or empty, pay attention on hot temperature, etc.  My 4 batteries are 2 years old, about 50 cycles, and are perfect. And they will stay like that till they dont charge anymore. Everybody should read the manual and carefully follow the instruction to avoid such problem. 99% of lipo bat problems are caused by heat and store. Don trust on self discharge. if you want it rests all it life span dont let it full or empty charged for one day long and never let it reach high temperatures.
2020-6-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Rustyem Posted at 6-8 03:30
Hi DJI Stephen. I am having the same issue, and it is evident I’m not alone. Given these batteries are clearly not that old, not had much use, and it’s a common issue, it should be addressed further by DJI. For a high end expensive product, I’m very disappointed.

Hello there Rustyem. I am sorry to know that you are having the same issue with your DJI Intelligent Flight Battery. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI. For us to be able to assist you further with regards to this matter kindly please contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for your understanding.
2020-6-9
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I gotta make sure to keep an eye on mine.
2020-6-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Francis Posted at 6-8 09:48
it is common on this kind of battery. Lipo Battery needs a property care. it is fundamental to follow the rules. dont store it fully charged or empty, pay attention on hot temperature, etc.  My 4 batteries are 2 years old, about 50 cycles, and are perfect. And they will stay like that till they dont charge anymore. Everybody should read the manual and carefully follow the instruction to avoid such problem. 99% of lipo bat problems are caused by heat and store. Don trust on self discharge. if you want it rests all it life span dont let it full or empty charged for one day long and never let it reach high temperatures.

Completely agree. I have owned 12 DJI drones over the past 4 years including the Mavic 2 Pro and have never had a swollen battery - not one! If you know how to properly maintain them they will last for years and hundreds of flights. Store them at 40% in a cool dry area in your house, let them cool down naturally before recharging them, don't leave them on 100% for more than one-day, land and switch them off no lower than 15%, charge them back to 40% for storage immediately after they have cooled down, do not dry them out in the sun or fly them in the rain in the first place, do not cool them down in the fridge or on an aircon unit, dont leave them inside a car, anywhere in direct sunlight or stored in the drone for prolonged periods and don't use third-party chargers. Do all of that and you'll save yourself a lot of money as batteries are not covered under care refresh and the warranty is strictly one-year or 200 recharge cylces whichever occurs first.
2020-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules