My Mavic Mini Crash
2852 24 2020-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Atxyde
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34186 ft
Puerto Rico

I just wanted to share my recent crash experience with the forum. On the last flight my MM crash suddenly into the grass after suddenly flipping over by no apparent reason. It was on my line of sight all the time and I didn't see any bird in the area. I decided to active RTH to observe directly the MM but some seconds later it just flipped over and fell to the ground. When I activated the RTH function I received a strong wind warning but it was flying back normally, without drifting, and at a good speed. When I recovered the drone everything looked almost instant form the outside but know it has an ESC error with code 30085 and I think the buzzer is out as well since there is no beep sound when the Find My Drone feature is activated. Another weird fact is that the last flight log was never uploaded to the Fly App's Flight Center Data screen. I had to recover those manually using my iPhone and the DJI Assistant 2.
Any comments or thoughts will be appreciated.

Video of the crash:

Air data:
https://app.airdata.com/share/WUngkZ

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/FB94C4HPAN2TBU1GWJQ8
2020-5-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Motor failure or mostly likely an esc failure.  As far as the high wind warning
the mini is a small bird to be up 253 ft RTH. Even if the wind is calm at ground
level at that height the wind can be strong. Did you have all props when you recovered
it?
2020-5-24
Use props
Atxyde
lvl.2
Puerto Rico

Woe Posted at 5-24 20:06
Motor failure or mostly likely an esc failure.  As far as the high wind warning
the mini is a small bird to be up 253 ft RTH. Even if the wind is calm at ground
level at that height the wind can be strong. Did you have all props when you recovered

Almost all of them but one. One of the propellers of the rear left motor is missing. It was ripped from its base. I don’t know if it was the effect nor the cause of the crash but it wasn’t on the scene.

My theory so far is that something hit it. If the cause was an error in a motor or ESC chip then the it would appear in the log but this was not the case all the errors appeared after the crash. The pictures below is my MM after been recovered. I had some trouble removing the battery so I think the esc board was damaged from the hit. The backdoor is the only part that shows scratches and scuffs.
2B768B87-ADDD-4067-A8CC-0E96581E5EF3.jpeg
75032AAB-ABCF-41AE-BD05-2BF9BFFF6203.jpeg
54335874-3104-459C-B004-08C8B959D0EB.jpeg
2020-5-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not nice.
HOpe you get it fixed!
2020-5-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry sight. did you open a case?
2020-5-25
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hope it gets sorted out.
2020-5-25
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Can you upload the flight logs on https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/, it could be helpful to analyze what happened
2020-5-25
Use props
Atxyde
lvl.2
Puerto Rico

Francoisd Posted at 5-25 02:03
Can you upload the flight logs on https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/, it could be helpful to analyze what happened

Yes, it is here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/FB94C4HPAN2TBU1GWJQ8
2020-5-25
Use props
Atxyde
lvl.2
Puerto Rico

DAFlys Posted at 5-25 01:31
Sorry sight. did you open a case?

Well, I tried, but since I'm from Puerto Rico, the warranty process is kind of sketchy and complicated, without summing up the current situation with the virus and the lockdowns. Also, they didn't let me buy the DJI Refresh insurance for the same reason. So I decided not to go through DJI. I talked to a person who suffered a similar experience. His MM displayed the same error message after the crash. He sent his MM to DJI, but after the inspection, they said it was caused by pilot error since they didn't find any malfunction in the logs. Luckily, I found a DJI certified repair center locally, and that is the route I'm going to take. They have excellent reviews in local forums, and yes, I must pay the repair since they don't work with DJI's warranty, but I won't lose it since they are certified. Right now, that's my only hope.
2020-5-25
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

I don't see any in flight ESC error in the log. Could it be a strong wind gust or prop failure?
2020-5-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Atxyde Posted at 5-25 05:13
Well, I tried, but since I'm from Puerto Rico, the warranty process is kind of sketchy and complicated, without summing up the current situation with the virus and the lockdowns. Also, they didn't let me buy the DJI Refresh insurance for the same reason. So I decided not to go through DJI. I talked to a person who suffered a similar experience. His MM displayed the same error message after the crash. He sent his MM to DJI, but after the inspection, they said it was caused by pilot error since they didn't find any malfunction in the logs. Luckily, I found a DJI certified repair center locally, and that is the route I'm going to take. They have excellent reviews in local forums, and yes, I must pay the repair since they don't work with DJI's warranty, but I won't lose it since they are certified. Right now, that's my only hope.

Thats a real pain,  I hope it works out in the end.
2020-5-25
Use props
Atxyde
lvl.2
Puerto Rico

virtual Posted at 5-25 05:18
I don't see any in flight ESC error in the log. Could it be a strong wind gust or prop failure?

Yup, no ESC errors before crashing, just a strong wind warning, and 27 seconds later it crashes. If the wind was the reason it was the mother of all wind gusts to flip it over that fast. My other theory its that the missing propeller failed during flight since I didn't see any birds in the area. The missing prop was never found.
2020-5-25
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Atxyde Posted at 5-25 05:28
Yup, no ESC errors before crashing, just a strong wind warning, and 27 seconds later it crashes. If the wind was the reason it was the mother of all wind gusts to flip it over that fast. My other theory its that the missing propeller failed during flight since I didn't see any birds in the area. The missing prop was never found.

There was video on YT with garden blower and it looked that MM could be flipped that way. But I would guess prop failure.
2020-5-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

haha, if that's what happens to your mm during strong winds then it's more of a problem than I thought.
2020-5-25
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the video,  during slomo......a fraction of a second BEFORE she flips over,  there is an arm, or possible gray bird/object in the upper left.  BEFORE she flips!!

Losing a prop would cause the arm/AC to shake violently due to imbalance of that motor.........

Randy
2020-5-25
Use props
The Foxy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1075869 ft
Brazil

if everything was normal and it happened that way suddenly, and you said that the propeller was not in place, my guess is that it broke in flight, maybe it was already with some damage and during the rotation on that flight she did not support and broke. .. if it had broken in the fall you would have found it nearby ...
2020-5-25
Use props
Atxyde
lvl.2
Puerto Rico

rwynant V1 Posted at 5-25 09:30
In the video,  during slomo......a fraction of a second BEFORE she flips over,  there is an arm, or possible gray bird/object in the upper left.  BEFORE she flips!!

Losing a prop would cause the arm/AC to shake violently due to imbalance of that motor.........

That is the top border of the MM over the gimbal. The camera went up. You can see the same border during the fall.
2020-5-25
Use props
Atxyde
lvl.2
Puerto Rico

The Foxy Posted at 5-25 10:05
if everything was normal and it happened that way suddenly, and you said that the propeller was not in place, my guess is that it broke in flight, maybe it was already with some damage and during the rotation on that flight she did not support and broke. .. if it had broken in the fall you would have found it nearby ...

The props where ok before flight and I always verify the screws before every flight. I don’t  remember hitting anything before. This was my 5th flight with it.
2020-5-25
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

On 16.5. afternoon moderate wind (25km / h) from the southeast. Click for wheather
Not enough to turn the Mini upside down. Perhaps the DAT file provides information, here the RPMs of the engines are recorded. I think if a propeller breaks in midflight, RPM of these engine would have to increase at the same time.
2020-5-25
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Something hit it from the left... you can notice the gimbal remains traumatized like it got an impact.
2020-5-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Atxyde. I am sorry to read and to watch the video of your DJI Mavic Mini crash. This is not the experience that we want you to have with DJI. Since this unfortunate issue happened and you are getting an error code 30085. It would be best to contact out DJI Support Team for further assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution/fix would be provided. Again I am sorry for the incident and thank you for your understanding.
2020-5-30
Use props
Atxyde
lvl.2
Puerto Rico

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-30 00:09
Hello there Atxyde. I am sorry to read and to watch the video of your DJI Mavic Mini crash. This is not the experience that we want you to have with DJI. Since this unfortunate issue happened and you are getting an error code 30085. It would be best to contact out DJI Support Team for further assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution/fix would be provided. Again I am sorry for the incident and thank you for your understanding.
Thank you but after contacting support I decided not to proceed directly with DJI. The DJI's warrant process for the people of Puerto Rico (USA territory) is kind of sketchy. I don't feel confident sending the drone to CA, even less on these times. I found a local repair center which is certified by DJI and they have excellent reviews so, I am gonna take it there and pay for the repair.
2020-5-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Atxyde Posted at 5-30 05:15
Thank you but after contacting support I decided not to proceed directly with DJI. The DJI's warrant process for the people of Puerto Rico (USA territory) is kind of sketchy. I don't feel confident sending the drone to CA, even more on these times. I found a local repair center which is certified by DJI and they have excellent reviews so, I am gonna take it there and pay for the repair.

Hi there Atxyde. Thank you for the given update. If you have any other inquiries of concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and assist you. Thank you and please stay safe always.
2020-6-1
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

shut down?
2020-6-5
Use props
Atxyde
lvl.2
Puerto Rico

Just to let you all know that I fixed the MM. The ESC board had to be replaced. Now is working as always. I did all the calibrations, some test flights, indoors and outdoors, everything looks fine.
2020-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules