6047 29 2020-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Hi,

When I change SD cards on my Mavic Air 2, the file numbering are reset and start from 1 (on empty card).
Is there a setting in DJI Fly app where I can specify coontinuous numbering instead of reset to 1 every time I change the SD card?
This is important if I do a lot of shots for the same film / theme while using multiple SD cards. When I want to transfer them to the same directory on my I need to rename them.
Video cameras have such settings. Does MAvic Air 2?

Mirek  
2020-5-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The feature is available in DJI Go but for some reason, DJI left it out of DJI Fly.
2020-5-25
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Canada

Labroides Posted at 5-25 06:04
The feature is available in DJI Go but for some reason, DJI left it out of DJI Fly.

How do I request features to be added to DJI Fly?

There are some other features which we used to have in DJI Go 4 which are missing in DJI Fly.
For example: Adjustment of gimbal speed and sensitivity, adjustment of battery warnings levels etc.

Mirek
2020-5-25
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just as a matter of interest my Mavic Mini appears to be set to continuous.
Does the Air 2 have internal storage? If so could you copy the last image on the out going card to the internal memory, swap the cards and copy the image onto the new card? If so is the file name preserved?
2020-5-25
Use props
Hotrod in Daytona
lvl.3
United States

As long as I don't format an SD card it seems to be continuous numbering.  I even swapped in an identical SD card and it kept numbering in sequence.
2020-5-25
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Canada

This numbering schema in Mavic Air 2 is a mystery.

I formatted two cards one after the other.
I started recording on card 1 - few clips and than continue on card 2 - few clips. Number sequencing was preserved (numbering did not reset to 1 with second card).

Than I formatted second card and recorded few clips. They randomly started with number 5.
Than I reformatted first card and recorded few cllips. Numbering started from 1.

I cannot find the algorithm DJI uses described in documentation.
Also, there seems to be no option of chosing continuous numbering versus starting from one with every card. In addition there seems to be no option to reset numbering.

Can somebody from DJI please explain the logic of numbering of clips? What can we expect? What is the algorithm DJI uses?  

Mirek
2020-5-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Mirek, thanks for your feedback, I will verify the current logic with our engineers and come back to you soon.
2020-5-26
Use props
Hotrod in Daytona
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-26 04:56
Hi Mirek, thanks for your feedback, I will verify the current logic with our engineers and come back to you soon.

I had basically the same findings.  Formatting seems to be the reset.  My suggestion would be just never reset whether you format or not.
2020-5-26
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Canada

Thank you DJI Mindy. I am looking forward to your information.

Mirek
2020-5-26
Use props
Smashey1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173422 ft
Ireland

Hi Mindy - I'd be interested in the outcome of this too. I seem to have duplicate file names after formatting an SD card in the drone.
2020-6-15
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Hotrod in Daytona Posted at 5-26 05:20
I had basically the same findings.  Formatting seems to be the reset.  My suggestion would be just never reset whether you format or not.

That doesn't make sense...the other ops say that it's the formatting that causes the reset.  So what I'm hearing from the other ops is don't format if you want the files to be continuous from one sd card to another.
2020-6-15
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

After initially formatting an sd card, I never format again.  After downloading to my PC,  I just select all DCIM photos and vids I don't want (usually all) and delete.  I also have put a Word document on each sd card that includes my contact information.  That gives another opportunity for someone who finds my drone to contact me directly versus them trying to use my FAA registration number (in US we don't have to have the non-flammable (metallic) contact placard on the drone).
2020-6-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Rustic17 Posted at 6-15 08:40
That doesn't make sense...the other ops say that it's the formatting that causes the reset.  So what I'm hearing from the other ops is don't format if you want the files to be continuous from one sd card to another.

If you put a different card in your drone, the Fly app will start back at 0001 if the card has no other DJI image files on it.
The Fly app has no way to keep the file ordering continuous across different cards.
2020-6-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Rustic17 Posted at 6-15 08:51
After initially formatting an sd card, I never format again.  After downloading to my PC,  I just select all DCIM photos and vids I don't want (usually all) and delete.  I also have put a Word document on each sd card that includes my contact information.  That gives another opportunity for someone who finds my drone to contact me directly versus them trying to use my FAA registration number (in US we don't have to have the non-flammable (metallic) contact placard on the drone).

Not a good idea. DJI place a large number of files in hidden directories on the SD card, and your card will either fill up with these if you continue to just delete the files, or it will become slow and unresponsive as it gets fragmented. It is better to format the card relatively often.

2020-6-15
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I had two new sd cards.  I put one in the MA2 and formatted it.  I took 3 photos and put the card in my Windows 10 desktop.  I immediately got a notification in the lower right hand corner of the screen saying “There is problem with this drive. Scan now to fix it.”  I clicked on the notification box and got this popup.

I red x’d out of this popup and a drive came up in Explorer that had the sd card information.  I went to DCIM>100Media and there were 3 jpeg files numbered 1, 2, and 3.  I deleted these files which is the same as moving them onto the desktop computer.  I then re-inserted the card into the MA3 and took three more photos.  This time when I inserted the card into my desktop I got the same notification but I did not click on it.  After a few seconds the notification disappeared.  I went to the drive which had the card and I had 3 jpeg files numbered 4, 5, 6.  I inserted a new sd card in the MA2, formatted it and took three more photos.  They came up 1, 2, 3.  I re-inserted  the original card in the MA2 after deleting 4, 5, and 6.  I took three photos and they came up 4, 5, 6 instead of the 7, 8, 9 I expected!!!  For some reason I thought the numbering system was built into the card.  No, it’s the MA2 that numbers the photos. I re-inserted the second disk into the MA2 after deleting 1, 2, and 3.  I took three photos and they came up 7, 8 and 9!!!  Yay!!!  Seems like anytime you format a card, the numbering system of the MA2 starts back to 1.  Then, no matter which subsequent card you use, as long as you don’t format using the MA2, the MA2 numbers continuously from the previous card.
2020-6-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Rustic17 Posted at 6-15 18:17
I had two new sd cards.  I put one in the MA2 and formatted it.  I took 3 photos and put the card in my Windows 10 desktop.  I immediately got a notification in the lower right hand corner of the screen saying “There is problem with this drive. Scan now to fix it.”  I clicked on the notification box and got this popup.
[view_image]
I red x’d out of this popup and a drive came up in Explorer that had the sd card information.  I went to DCIM>100Media and there were 3 jpeg files numbered 1, 2, and 3.  I deleted these files which is the same as moving them onto the desktop computer.  I then re-inserted the card into the MA3 and took three more photos.  This time when I inserted the card into my desktop I got the same notification but I did not click on it.  After a few seconds the notification disappeared.  I went to the drive which had the card and I had 3 jpeg files numbered 4, 5, 6.  I inserted a new sd card in the MA2, formatted it and took three more photos.  They came up 1, 2, 3.  I re-inserted  the original card in the MA2 after deleting 4, 5, and 6.  I took three photos and they came up 4, 5, 6 instead of the 7, 8, 9 I expected!!!  For some reason I thought the numbering system was built into the card.  No, it’s the MA2 that numbers the photos. I re-inserted the second disk into the MA2 after deleting 1, 2, and 3.  I took three photos and they came up 7, 8 and 9!!!  Yay!!!  Seems like anytime you format a card, the numbering system of the MA2 starts back to 1.  Then, no matter which subsequent card you use, as long as you don’t format using the MA2, the MA2 numbers continuously from the previous card.

Yes. I suspect one of the hidden files on the card contains information regarding which number is next in the sequence. This is why formatting the card resets it to 1. I once tried placing a file on the card with the number of 100, but the system ignored that, and that's why I suspect the number is stored in a hidden file.
2020-6-15
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

Geebax Posted at 6-15 19:08
Yes. I suspect one of the hidden files on the card contains information regarding which number is next in the sequence. This is why formatting the card resets it to 1. I once tried placing a file on the card with the number of 100, but the system ignored that, and that's why I suspect the number is stored in a hidden file.

What Rustic17 said is in conflict with your conclusion.

From Rustic17 experiment it is quite clear that numbering information is kept not on a card but internally with MA2 (since numbering sequence survives card swap).
When one formats card, the numbering is reset and will start from one. If cards are being changed, numbering continues until another format.

MIrek
2020-6-16
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

Rustic17 Posted at 6-15 18:17
I had two new sd cards.  I put one in the MA2 and formatted it.  I took 3 photos and put the card in my Windows 10 desktop.  I immediately got a notification in the lower right hand corner of the screen saying “There is problem with this drive. Scan now to fix it.”  I clicked on the notification box and got this popup.
[view_image]
I red x’d out of this popup and a drive came up in Explorer that had the sd card information.  I went to DCIM>100Media and there were 3 jpeg files numbered 1, 2, and 3.  I deleted these files which is the same as moving them onto the desktop computer.  I then re-inserted the card into the MA3 and took three more photos.  This time when I inserted the card into my desktop I got the same notification but I did not click on it.  After a few seconds the notification disappeared.  I went to the drive which had the card and I had 3 jpeg files numbered 4, 5, 6.  I inserted a new sd card in the MA2, formatted it and took three more photos.  They came up 1, 2, 3.  I re-inserted  the original card in the MA2 after deleting 4, 5, and 6.  I took three photos and they came up 4, 5, 6 instead of the 7, 8, 9 I expected!!!  For some reason I thought the numbering system was built into the card.  No, it’s the MA2 that numbers the photos. I re-inserted the second disk into the MA2 after deleting 1, 2, and 3.  I took three photos and they came up 7, 8 and 9!!!  Yay!!!  Seems like anytime you format a card, the numbering system of the MA2 starts back to 1.  Then, no matter which subsequent card you use, as long as you don’t format using the MA2, the MA2 numbers continuously from the previous card.

Rustic17,

Very interesting. It looks like numbering is kept internally in MA2 (not on the SD card) and gets reset by formatting action.

It would be interesting to see how MA2 handles possible conflict situation. The following experiment.

Experiment 1:
  • Format two SD cards.
  • Insert card one and take 3 pictures: 1, 2, 3
  • Insert card 2 and take 1 picture: 4
  • Format card 2 and remove it (picture 4 is gone and the counter is reset to 1)
  • Insert card 1 and take 1 picture

What is the number of the last picture? It cannot be 1 becaues it would conflict with pictures already there. Is it 4?

Experiment 2:
  • Format two SD cards.
  • Insert card one and take 3 pictures: 1, 2, 3
  • Delete picture 2 (1 and 3 are still on the card)
  • Insert card 2 and take 1 picture: 4
  • Format card 2 and remove it (picture 4 is gone and the counter is reset to 1)
  • Insert card 1 and take 2 pictures.

What are the numbers of the last 2 pictures? 2 and 4? 4 and 5? Something different?

Mirek

2020-6-16
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I'll leave that experiment to you.  I was getting an "SD Card too slow" message so I bought a 5 pack of 32GB Sandisk Extreme cards.  They are all formatted and have my Word document on them with my contact infromation.  So, basically, I'm set and don't have to do any more formatting.  I like having smaller cards so if I'm on vacation and lose my MA2 or it gets confiscated by the authorities on the last day of the trip I'm only out one day of pics/vids versus the whole trip.
2020-6-16
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

Rustic17 Posted at 6-16 07:20
I'll leave that experiment to you.  I was getting an "SD Card too slow" message so I bought a 5 pack of 32GB Sandisk Extreme cards.  They are all formatted and have my Word document on them with my contact infromation.  So, basically, I'm set and don't have to do any more formatting.  I like having smaller cards so if I'm on vacation and lose my MA2 or it gets confiscated by the authorities on the last day of the trip I'm only out one day of pics/vids versus the whole trip.

Yes - small cards are good idea.
I just had a SanDisk Extreme 128Gb card failure and lost all footage there. Painful.
At least when something gets corrupted on smaller card, the potential loss is smaller.

Mirek
2020-6-16
Use props
sic-o
lvl.1

Latvia

Hello, Any resolution on this subject? It very annoying to work with this kind of logic. I have to rename files by hand from DJI_0001 to AJI_0001 and BJI_0001Just to keep some sort of order.

And jumping across SD and internal is a pain. It is really great to have internal memory when you forget the SD in your card reader, but then again you always get the initial sequence from 0001 every time.
2020-10-25
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Hello,

A good workaround for me is, if the card gets nearly full, i copy all pics and videos to my tablet or pc or where ever and delete them after on the card via fly app except the last one.
On a new and empty card i take one  picture, rename it after with the last file number +1 of the last i have taken before and the MA2 will continue counting  up as usual.
2020-10-26
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1376841 ft
United States

MySky Posted at 10-26 11:08
Hello,

A good workaround for me is, if the card gets nearly full, i copy all pics and videos to my tablet or pc or where ever and delete them after on the card via fly app except the last one.

That's exactly what I do. My Nikon cameras remember the sequence, the Mavic drone doesn't. So I always have the last file on the card to keep the sequence intact.
2020-10-26
Use props
djiuser_VU9CoJgfOVyE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 673064 ft
Slovakia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2020-5-26 04:56

Guys...this is retarded. ANY serious digital camera BY DEFAULT uses continuous numbering whether a card is formatted or not. That's to avoid overwriting older files with the same filename when copying images and videos to a hard drive. I just lost my first 10 videos because of this ridicolous setting!
2021-8-8
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 135564 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2020-6-15 18:11
Not a good idea. DJI place a large number of files in hidden directories on the SD card, and your card will either fill up with these if you continue to just delete the files, or it will become slow and unresponsive as it gets fragmented. It is better to format the card relatively often.

I just looked at my primary SD card that I've been using for months.  NO HIDDEN FILES.  NO HIDDEN DIRECTORIES.
2021-8-8
Use props
alloffroad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6339409 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI!!!  Any update on this? it's very very annoying and already lost me files as I overwrote existing files after formatting
2021-11-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

burp burp burp

2021-11-24
Use props
My2Cents
lvl.2

Germany

For anyone interested in an automated solution, who is acquainted with PowerShell, you will find a PowerShell script I wrote attached here with this message.

The script renames all image files by sorting and renumbering them. All accompanying files, like .SRT files will be renamed along.

It's very simple to use: Just list all image or movie files using Get-ChildItem and feed these to the script:

Get-ChildItem -Path `PathToYourImageFiles` -Filter '*.mp4' | .\Rename-FileGroup.ps1

If the result doesn't fit you needs you can optionally set a different start value, number incrementation, prefix text, minimum number length and/or target directory:

StartValue to start indexing with when renaming files
IncrementValue to add to the index name of subsequential file groups
PrefixPrefix text to prepend to target file name
PaddingMinimum number of digits to use in target file name
TargetDirTarget directory relative to source directory

Here's a screencast describing how to use the script:

Rename-FileGroup.zip

1.69 KB, Down times: 1

Zipped PowerShell script file

2023-2-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If there is audio to that demonstration can you add subtitles please?
2023-2-21
Use props
draco_157
New

Canada

My2Cents Posted at 2-21 17:02
For anyone interested in an automated solution, who is acquainted with PowerShell, you will find a PowerShell script I wrote attached here with this message.

The script renames all image files by sorting and renumbering them. All accompanying files, like .SRT files will be renamed along.

Cool idea for a script; wish it worked though.
I'm guessing stuff has changed since you made this with PowerShell.
I'm on Windows 11 with PSVersion: 5.1.22621.1778

I get this error at lines 72, 73, 76:

2023-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules