RockSteady on Osmo Pocket
2664 16 2020-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cristovao Morgado
lvl.1

Portugal

As many user have noticed using a Osmo Pocket while riding a motorcycle or bicyle created unsusable footage.
Some say get a Osmo Action, bt the appeal to use the Pocket is the gimbal effects we can achieve !

So what is stopping DJI from adding That would create THE KILLER product ...

2020-5-25
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

There were many who had problems with the Osmo mobile's gimbal fighting with their phone's stablization. Seems the 2 processes liked to fight each other.
2020-5-25
Use props
djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq
lvl.2
Sweden

Don't quote me on this, but I think the extreme distortion that you are referring to, which occurs when you for example clamp your camera on a bike handlebar is caused by the auto-focus mechanism not being powerful enough to fight the vibration and keep the lens in the correct distant from the sensor, shaking back and fort in such high rate of speed that you get an extremely distorted and foggy image.

If that is the case, I don't think an electronic image stabilization (EIS) method like RockSteady would help that much!

But I think there are some other technologies that could help in the situations like that, which involves physically moving the sensor, or the lens in order to compensate for the vibrations, which theoretically could be implemented in a potential successor of OsmoPocket, but if you need an action camera that could give you gimbal like flexibility, 360° action cameras like Insta360 One R, could be a good compromise, and I say a compromise because obviously you're not going to get the same level of quality that OsmoPocket can produce but It can keep the horizon level and follow your targets like a gimbal camera with the added bonus of EIS which I think they call it FlowState or something to that effect Instead of the DJI's RockSteady or GoPro's HyperSmooth, it's also water and shock resistant making it more suitable for extreme situations...

Also, there is another gimbal camera, similar to the Osmo Pocket, called "Feiyu Pocket" by Feiyu-Tech, which offers "6 axis Hybrid stabilization" which translates to exactly your idea (gimbal + EIS), but based on the sample footage that Feiyu Pocket owners shared on YouTube, I can say the stabilization is really bad! Ofcource they might have fixed it by now in recent firmware updates, but unfortunately the initial footage that I saw was just awful!
2020-5-25
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

I can speculate 2 issues with it.

1. Pocket's processor and heat solution is not suitable for rock steady.
    Rock steady requires a lot of processing power. It took DJI a long time to minimize the rock steady delay and it shows how slim of margin is there for the processor.
    Pocket's processor already busy at handling camera and gimbal. I don't think there would be enough margin to add rock steady on top of it.

2. Lack of wide FOV.
    Rock steady crops in like upto 80% of original FOV to add EIS.
    Osmo Action has super wide angle to compensate the crop but Osmo Pocket already has a narrow FOV of 80°
    It would be cropped in to 64° narrow FOV if add rock steady to pocket. It becomes more like a telephoto level and I don't think it would be much practical for bike ride.

P.S. I have a Feiyu Pocket... It is just unfinished product and not worthy of mentioning as an example of gimbal + EIS... It is just example of poor execution.
2020-5-25
Use props
Ben Lambert
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm not sure the pocket is the solution for this type of filming, I'd go with the Osmo Action and attach it to the chest or head.

Attaching it to the bike will cause too much vibration for the camera to handle.
2020-5-25
Use props
Cristovao Morgado
lvl.1

Portugal

Ben Lambert Posted at 5-25 21:37
I'm not sure the pocket is the solution for this type of filming, I'd go with the Osmo Action and attach it to the chest or head.

Attaching it to the bike will cause too much vibration for the camera to handle.

Even attached to chest does not reduce tat warped effect.

I'd love to put the camera in level or fpv mode and just ride and make some turns with cool lean angles.
With the Osmo Action its better without the warp but it's the usual shot effect
2020-5-25
Use props
Cristovao Morgado
lvl.1

Portugal

djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq Posted at 5-25 15:17
Don't quote me on this, but I think the extreme distortion that you are referring to, which occurs when you for example clamp your camera on a bike handlebar is caused by the auto-focus mechanism not being powerful enough to fight the vibration and keep the lens in the correct distant from the sensor, shaking back and fort in such high rate of speed that you get an extremely distorted and foggy image.

If that is the case, I don't think an electronic image stabilization (EIS) method like RockSteady would help that much!

If only we could have a fixed focus maybe we could fix it....
2020-5-26
Use props
djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq
lvl.2
Sweden

Tide Posted at 5-25 20:42
I can speculate 2 issues with it.

1. Pocket's processor and heat solution is not suitable for rock steady.

I could be wrong but I think FeiyuPocket have some design issues with the gimbal itself, In the pictures, It looks like the sensor is not even in the center of the yaw axis!

But now I'm curious, did the new firmware update that they released three days ago improve anything?
2020-5-26
Use props
djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq
lvl.2
Sweden

Cristovao Morgado Posted at 5-25 23:58
Even attached to chest does not reduce tat warped effect.

I'd love to put the camera in level or fpv mode and just ride and make some turns with cool lean angles.

Did you try to stabilise your footage in post? I suggest you to give vid.stab a try, It's a Free and Open-Source software which usually provides a decent result without too much work, you can see some examples here: http://public.hronopik.de/vid.stab/features.php?lang=en

If you are not running a GNU/Linux operating system on your PC, I think you can stil try it inside Kdenlive video editor on Windows (KDEnlive is also a Free and Open-source software)
just import a short clip in KDEnlive project bin, right click on the clip and select "Clip Jobs" sub-menu, then click on "Stabilise (vidstab)" and press OK to see if the default values work or not, then you can tweak it to see if you can get better results...

If you are not familiar with the process, you can send me a short example of the footage you have problem with, so I can try to see if stabilising it in post can help or not...

P.S. Ignore the screenshot below, Apparently this forum doesn't support animated GIFs, so it made my animated screen capture of the stabilizing process useless, and now for some reason I can't remove the attached GIF file from this post!

KDEnlive_vidstab.gif
2020-5-26
Use props
Cristovao Morgado
lvl.1

Portugal

djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq Posted at 5-26 08:35
Did you try to stabilise your footage in post? I suggest you to give vid.stab a try, It's a Free and Open-Source software which usually provides a decent result without too much work, you can see some examples here: http://public.hronopik.de/vid.stab/features.php?lang=en

https://youtu.be/HYE3KAl8RAQ

Will try and thanks a lot for the help
2020-5-26
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq Posted at 5-26 07:34
I could be wrong but I think FeiyuPocket have some design issues with the gimbal itself, In the pictures, It looks like the sensor is not even in the center of the yaw axis!

But now I'm curious, did the new firmware update that they released three days ago improve anything?

1.8.4 firmware didn't fix much. May be it got a slightly stabilized but still far from usable.

I sure hope it is not a design problem, but it seems the lens center is off the yaw axis now you mentioned. (I would double check this...)
2020-5-26
Use props
djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq
lvl.2
Sweden

Cristovao Morgado Posted at 5-26 11:40
Will try and thanks a lot for the help

My pleasure, As soon as I get some shaky footage of my own, I'll try to see which stabilising methods work better with OsmoPocket, and I will share my results and presets here, also if I can find some free time I'll make a step-by-step tutorial on it, so that hopefully next time someone need to further stabilise their OsmoPocket footage, it can save them some time.
2020-5-28
Use props
djiuser_TpLi7gKjumKq
lvl.2
Sweden

Tide Posted at 5-26 14:46
1.8.4 firmware didn't fix much. May be it got a slightly stabilized but still far from usable.

I sure hope it is not a design problem, but it seems the lens center is off the yaw axis now you mentioned. (I would double check this...)

Lens being off center yaw axis, shouldn't really interfere that much with the stabilisation, but it will certainly create some undesirable parallax effect, which is specially harmfull when you're shooting panorama photos! I guess they had to compromise with that design choice in order to fit the larger sensor without making the whole camera larger or the pitch axis motor sticking out of the frame too much.

Hopefully they manage to improve the camera in next updates, we really need more good cameras in this form factor.
2020-5-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there Cristovao Morgado. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information and your insights for the DJI Osmo Pocket. I will Cascade this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates on the DJI Osmo Pocket and on the DJI Mimo application. Kindly please stay tuned or visit our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support and please stay safe always.
2020-5-29
Use props
kinglana
New

Seychelles

https://www.lanavape.com
thank yu
i like he aticle
2023-6-9
Use props
kinglana
New

Seychelles

2023-6-9
Use props
djiuser_LcTGAJcw9zKH
New

India

Can someone please suggest me between dji action 3 and dji pocket 2 I'm not any professional I just need it for my hobby and sports I play football and I want to record my personal training sessions I'm very confused please suggest me i like the tracking feature of dji pocket 2 but can it track me while I'm running here and there in front of it? But on the other hand dji action 3 is more advance so what should I do?? Please suggest
1-26 00:45
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules