Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneGeekLanc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1514491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello!

The warranty on my Mavic 2 Zoom recently ran out, so I decided it was a good time to go ahead and try my hand at swapping the gimbal assembly out for that of the Mavic 2 Pro.

All went well. It was pretty seamless. However, after putting the aircraft in the air I noticed that the horizon tilts — particularly when strafing or banking right. I’ve included a link to an example below.

I’ve run a gimbal calibration 3 times. I’ve checked on firmware updates and I’ve done the calibration through DJI Assistant 2. The rubber o-rings in the gimbal itself are in good shape and everything is attached securely.

What I need to know is the following:

1. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, did you fix it and how?
2. If it’s something DJI COULD fix, will they still work on my drone despite my slight modification (if you want to call it that, it’s the same aircraft with the alternate camera option)? I know it will be at full cost of parts and labor, I don’t care about that. I just don’t want to send it in and have them hold it for two weeks and then find out that they won’t work on it for me.
3. If DJI won’t work on it, does anyone have any suggestions for independent drone repair shops that can and will fix it for me?

I appreciate the help!
2020-5-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

It looks like you may be in FPV mode. Try changing it to follow mode.
2020-5-25
Use props
DroneGeekLanc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 5-25 17:25
It looks like you may be in FPV mode. Try changing it to follow mode.

Nope. I’m in Follow mode. That was another point I forgot to mention. This only happens this severely when I bank right. Left does it a bit, and forward and backward behave normally. The right is AWFUL though.
2020-5-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneGeekLanc Posted at 5-25 19:00
Nope. I’m in Follow mode. That was another point I forgot to mention. This only happens this severely when I bank right. Left does it a bit, and forward and backward behave normally. The right is AWFUL though.

Maybe someone else can offer a suggestion.
2020-5-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you swapped it back to see if it still happens with the original camera?
2020-5-26
Use props
DroneGeekLanc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-26 00:39
Have you swapped it back to see if it still happens with the original camera?

I have not. That is next on my list. I have a feeling it will not have the issue as the Zoom gimbal has never shown me any signs of malfunction.
2020-5-26
Use props
DroneGeekLanc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I've reattached the Zoom gimbal assembly and it is behaving normally. Please see the video below.

I've heard from others on different social media platforms that I may need to replace the ribbon cable on the M2P Hasselblad gimbal assembly. Is this something that would be caused by that? I've ordered one from Amazon to see if that would potentially help since they're only $14 or so and I need a solution ASAP. Looking for a response from a moderator of some kind to set me straight on what I should do and what my options are at this point.

Thanks to all that have provided their input so far. It's nice to know that I'm at least being heard.
2020-5-26
Use props
KDP +
Second Officer
Flight distance : 947930 ft
Belgium

Looks strange that this problem should be caused by a ribbon cable...
I guess you use the same ribbon cable now with the original camera without a problem....?
2020-5-26
Use props
DroneGeekLanc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

KDP + Posted at 5-26 10:23
Looks strange that this problem should be caused by a ribbon cable...
I guess you use the same ribbon cable now with the original camera without a problem....?

It does sound strange. I'm giving it a shot. The idea of swapping a ribbon cable out is too low cost to ignore as a solution. Might as well give it a whirl. I have two ribbon cables as it stands now, one for reach gimbal. If it is indeed an issue with the cables, that would mean the M2P's cable is bad and the one on my M2Z assembly is good. I'm not going to swap cables between the two of them for fear of just making matters worse by messing up my Zoom gimbal. The new ribbon cable I ordered will go on the Pro gimbal to see if that resolves the issues. I've got a case in with the folks from whom I bought the M2P gimbal and camera, so I'm looking to either fix this myself, have a moderator from DJI confirm they can fix it, or get a brand new gimbal assembly from the company I bought this one from (which I hope is a last resort as they ship from China and the gimbals take FOREVER to arrive state-side.
2020-5-26
Use props
DroneGeekLanc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Good news. I replaced the ribbon cable and all seems to be back to normal. Going to put it in the actual air tomorrow morning, but so far the handheld strafe test seems to indicate that the gimbal is behaving normally again.
2020-5-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DroneGeekLanc Posted at 5-26 20:41
Good news. I replaced the ribbon cable and all seems to be back to normal. Going to put it in the actual air tomorrow morning, but so far the handheld strafe test seems to indicate that the gimbal is behaving normally again.

Do the cables look any different to each other?
2020-5-27
Use props
DroneGeekLanc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-27 00:42
Do the cables look any different to each other?

Bad news: I put the M2 in the air and the ribbon did not fix the issue. I thought it had when I did a hand-held test and banked right and left, but it appears we still have a pretty severe issue.

Nothing has worked yet. I'm working with the eBay seller now to get something worked out. I'd really love for a DJI mod to jump on to help me figure out what I need to do...
2020-5-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DroneGeekLanc Posted at 5-27 07:37
Bad news: I put the M2 in the air and the ribbon did not fix the issue. I thought it had when I did a hand-held test and banked right and left, but it appears we still have a pretty severe issue.

Nothing has worked yet. I'm working with the eBay seller now to get something worked out. I'd really love for a DJI mod to jump on to help me figure out what I need to do...

My money is on the camera assembly being faulty.
2020-5-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DroneGeekLanc. I am sorry to know that you are having issue with the gimbal of your DJI Mavic 2 Zoom after a gimbal swap. Hopefully, you could get the best feedback and information from our DJI Forum members who managed to replace or swap the gimbal. Just a reminder to our DJI members who still have a warranty on there DJI drones that doing this process would void the warranty of your aircraft as this matter is not yet recommended officially by DJI. In addition you may contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2020-6-4
Use props
DroneGeekLanc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-4 23:57
Hello there DroneGeekLanc. I am sorry to know that you are having issue with the gimbal of your DJI Mavic 2 Zoom after a gimbal swap. Hopefully, you could get the best feedback and information from our DJI Forum members who managed to replace or swap the gimbal. Just a reminder to our DJI members who still have a warranty on there DJI drones that doing this process would void the warranty of your aircraft as this matter is not yet recommended officially by DJI. In addition you may contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance with regards to this matter. Thank you.

Thank you, Stephen! I understand. My DJI warranty is expired, so I jumped out and took the risk. The gimbal seems to be faulty as I explored all options and still came to the same result. I'll keep you up to date as the situation progresses.
2020-6-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

DroneGeekLanc Posted at 6-6 15:01
Thank you, Stephen! I understand. My DJI warranty is expired, so I jumped out and took the risk. The gimbal seems to be faulty as I explored all options and still came to the same result. I'll keep you up to date as the situation progresses.

Hi there DroneGeekLanc. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have shared with us. Again I am truly sorry for the trouble and please keep us posted.
2020-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules