Do you think DJI lets their costumers down with the Osmo Mobile 3?
1474 16 2020-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bijstandboy
lvl.1

Netherlands

DJI makes great camera stabilisation hardware. They make drones with camera's for crying out loud. That’s the reason I bought the Osmo Mobile 3 gimbal to stabilize my smartphone while filming. The hardware is great, but the software is something else entirely. As it turns out, sadly, DJI delivers video recording software that’s nowhere near the quality you need for half decent video editing.

It’s not that I’m a big movie producer with high standards. Not at all, but I feel like I should be able to use this gimbal for my Youtube-channel. Do you guys/girls think I’m just asking too much? I just want to record some stabilised clear video and audio to edit later on. The app supplied with the Osmo Mobile 3 adjusts the video/audio too little and too much at the same time, but that’s not the main problem.

The bigger problem for me (and others) is that the Bluetooth connection between the gimbal and smartphone causes audio distortion making every footage unusable. I can fix it in post-production, but I’m on a clock. I don’t want to fix the same problem every day. It’s just too time consuming.

After almost a year, I don’t think there will come an update fixing this problem (and many others). In the end the Osmo Mobile 3 is just a price-fighter-product. This makes me think that no large percentage of the retail price is reserved for service and software developing. Do you think this too or do I just need more patience?

As I said, DJI makes great hardware. The software never was a problem before because DJI shared their tech with third parties. After buying a DJI gimbal you could just use apps like Filmic Pro. Alas, these times are gone (I always wanted to say this). I recently have the feeling that DJI wants to keep their consumers in their online environment. Don’t get me wrong, I love this community, but I also need functioning software.

DJI forces me to use this low quality app, drowning in hipster features I don't want. Ironically it makes me move away from DJI. I'm buying another gimbal and give the Osmo Mobile 3 to my nephew. That’s where it belongs. It pains me to say this: the software reduces the Osmo Mobile 3 to an expensive kids toy.

2020-5-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What hardware are you on?
2020-5-26
Use props
Bijstandboy
lvl.1

Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 5-26 03:53
What hardware are you on?

HUAWEI P20, but I've seen similar reports on iPhone X, Iphone Xs, iPhone 7, samsung s10 and more.

This is just one of the sound issues. If you are interested in more problems, you can check the complains on Google Play. Search for the DJI Mimo app.
2020-5-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bijstandboy Posted at 5-26 06:34
HUAWEI P20, but I've seen similar reports on iPhone X, Iphone Xs, iPhone 7, samsung s10 and more.

This is just one of the sound issues. If you are interested in more problems, you can check the complains on Google Play. Search for the DJI Mimo app.

I have not used the mimo app myself, I only have the DJI Go app, but I rather use Filmic Pro or Movie Pro. (iPhone that is).
Much better control over the output.
2020-5-26
Use props
Bijstandboy
lvl.1

Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 5-26 11:10
I have not used the mimo app myself, I only have the DJI Go app, but I rather use Filmic Pro or Movie Pro. (iPhone that is).
Much better control over the output.

I like to use Filmic Pro too! For the same reasons.  I just wish the Mobile 3 was compatible, just like the first two. I would like to use sportmode and such. I send the gimbal back to the store. It does not center back to the middel very well. Im a vlogger, so it's important that my ugly head is in the middle of the shot. When I walk around I end up out of the frame.

What hardware do you use and does it work well with the Filmic pro?
2020-5-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bijstandboy Posted at 5-27 02:37
I like to use Filmic Pro too! For the same reasons.  I just wish the Mobile 3 was compatible, just like the first two. I would like to use sportmode and such. I send the gimbal back to the store. It does not center back to the middel very well. Im a vlogger, so it's important that my ugly head is in the middle of the shot. When I walk around I end up out of the frame.

What hardware do you use and does it work well with the Filmic pro?

I had 2 reasons for buying Osmo Mobile 1.
1 = Motion timelapses.
But the combination with gimbal + adapter + tripod was not stable enough in windy conditions (big phone, hanging in just a small gimbal....) so it was not smooth.
Plus the output was not always working as I would love (low bitrate, so lots of artifacts) and I could not change it.
Plus it had some weird bug that occasionally it would make a totally unwanted (and impossible) path so it crashed.
2 = Filming 'cinematic' smooth gimbal shots using Filmic Pro.
But I discovered I did not use that too often because :
- It blocks me from using my phone (because it is on the gimbal) and I can't use it for flying my drone etc.
- It was yet another piece of equipment that I had to bring to the party, charge etc.
- The phone battery died rather quickly so it was not always available.
- Editing iPhone footage in Sony Vegas pro is not too nice. You first have to convert it to a different codec, otherwise it crashes when you add too many clips from the iPhone.

So in the end I sold my Osmo Mobile after 2 years on Marktplaats (got a good price even because I had a lot of extra acc. ) and I'm now looking for a hardware only option (something like Osmo Pocket).
But I have not made up my mind yet.
I think I will wait for the next iteration and see if it is a bit more 'pro' with a bigger sensor etc.

But for vlogging, Osmo Mobile 2 is great. It also has Filmic Pro support if I'm not mistaken.
2020-5-27
Use props
Bijstandboy
lvl.1

Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 5-27 03:03
1 = Motion timelapses.
But the combination with gimbal + adapter + tripod was not stable enough in windy conditions (big phone, hanging in just a small gimbal....) so it was not smooth.

Yeah, I think it might be best for me to downgrade . But just like you, I've not made up my mind yet. I'm considering the Zhiyun Smooth 4. If I get store refund on my DJI mobile 3, then I might be able to buy something like the Zhiyun Crane M2 and borrow a light camera. I dunno, it's a lot of money for me. You can find me on Youtube as Bijstandboy .
2020-5-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bijstandboy Posted at 5-27 03:14
Yeah, I think it might be best for me to downgrade . But just like you, I've not made up my mind yet. I'm considering the Zhiyun Smooth 4. If I get store refund on my DJI mobile 3, then I might be able to buy something like the Zhiyun Crane M2 and borrow a light camera. I dunno, it's a lot of money for me. You can find me on Youtube as Bijstandboy .

Yeah.
Better to start low profile.
Good content does not depend on equipment.
Have fun making what you want and build an audience.
Don't focus on the money, because that is not worth it AT ALL.
Youtube is only paying small money if you get to that point even.
Just have fun making what you like.
2020-5-27
Use props
Bijstandboy
lvl.1

Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 5-27 03:24
Yeah.
Better to start low profile.
Good content does not depend on equipment.

Thanks man! If you have the time, let me know what you decide to buy or not.
2020-5-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bijstandboy Posted at 5-27 03:36
Thanks man! If you have the time, let me know what you decide to buy or not.

Yes I will and I will check out the channel as well.
2020-5-27
Use props
djiuser_XM9W0vozyp1K
New

United States

Need assistance please! I have a OSMO Mobile 3 and when I shoot a video, there is a lot of background buzzing static that is not there when I use the apple video itself. Ideas? Thoughts? Otherwise I will return this. So far I am not happy with this purchase.
2020-5-27
Use props
Bijstandboy
lvl.1

Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 5-27 03:03
1 = Motion timelapses.

I bought the Zhiyun Smooth 4. It's a bit bigger, but so much better than the DJI Mobile 3!
2020-6-1
Use props
Bijstandboy
lvl.1

Netherlands

djiuser_XM9W0vozyp1K Posted at 5-27 05:54
Need assistance please! I have a OSMO Mobile 3 and when I shoot a video, there is a lot of background buzzing static that is not there when I use the apple video itself. Ideas? Thoughts? Otherwise I will return this. So far I am not happy with this purchase.

Hey,

Nothing you can do. Just don't use the DJI MIMO app. Use the camera apps you normally use. Learn the button combinations to enter sport mode etc. You wil not be able to use the the hipster options and such, but you can shoot stabilized video's. To be honest, sell/return the mobile 3 and buy the Zhiyun Smooth 4. Im happy I did.
2020-6-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bijstandboy Posted at 6-1 01:00
I bought the Zhiyun Smooth 4. It's a bit bigger, but so much better than the DJI Mobile 3!

Thanks for the tip.
Does it also have motionlapse?
2020-6-1
Use props
Bijstandboy
lvl.1

Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 6-1 04:00
Thanks for the tip.
Does it also have motionlapse?

2020-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bijstandboy Posted at 6-2 00:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z2XxYzPGFo

Hmmm.
Does not look too smooth.
2020-6-2
Use props
misterjay
lvl.1

United States

I loved using my Osmo 3, but with the latest updates it has rendered my OSMO 3 as a glorified paperweight. The software believes that my gimbal has no battery life even after charging the OSMO 3 overnight. It was fine until they pushed new firmware a few weeks ago and now support wants me to mail my unit to them.
2020-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules