Mavic Air 2 processor overheated
11653 34 2020-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nuggetz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 571 ft
United States

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered the processor overheating message with the Air 2. It was about a 61F degree day. Craft said that the battery I had installed required a firmware update which only took a few minutes. I wasn't flying with the SD card inserted at the time as I was testing the internal storage. Did some panos and a couple of video's and photos at 4K 60FPS and about 11 minutes into the flight the Air 2 gave the overheated message and returned home and force landed. Contacted DJI and they're allowing me to replace it since its less than 15 days but having to send it back after only having it for 3 days kinda sucks. Was hoping it was a firmware issue as the fans are definitly running so I wanted to see if anyone else has encountered the same problem. I honestly can't trust this drone knowing that something like this already occurred once. Perhaps a replaceent is the best bet but I was hoping it was a bug or something. Battery temps appeared to be normal on that flight compared to other flights on the other batteries so not sure what's up.
2020-5-26
Use props
nuggetz
lvl.2
United States

Just tested this with the same battery. Placed it on the table and started a 4K 60FPS video and it overheated after a few minutes of recording. This is not good. Can someone please try this with their Mavic air 2? If these units are defective we're gonna see a lot of Air 2's landing in unintended places this summer. If there's a shot that a replacement will have better cooling or perhaps a better seated heatsink then I'll take the chance.  
2020-5-26
Use props
nuggetz
lvl.2
United States

Tried a different battery and still the same issue. Just wanted to rule out the battery. Seems like  60FPS at 4K def overheats my mavic in less than a minute of filming. I'm doing this test in an air conditioned room. Used a temp gauge to read the temps on the underside of the Air 2 near the center and between the sensor and the gimbal and I'm getting over 104F. Please can someone else test this to see how long you can keep your MA2 running while shooting 60FPS vid at 4K indoors? Please.
2020-5-26
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

That seems very hot.  It may be that the drone needs to be outside to help with cooling and not sitting on a table reflecting its own heat.
2020-5-26
Use props
nuggetz
lvl.2
United States

Blellow Posted at 5-26 07:59
That seems very hot.  It may be that the drone needs to be outside to help with cooling and not sitting on a table reflecting its own heat.

I sort of agree but I think testing in this way would give a good indication if we have batches of Air 2's with sub-par heatsink installations. There are many situations where one may need to have their drone sit idle while doing a firmware upgrade. Shooting 4K 60FPS video is indeed intensive but would be a good test especially if there are folks that can do this without overheating when the quad isn't flying.  Having some sort of baseline would be good.  Plus, I dont see much difference doing this in an airconditioned room compared to someone flying and filming 4k 60FPS with their drone in 100 degree weather for 25 minutes.
2020-5-26
Use props
Richard371
lvl.1
Flight distance : 234029 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just tested on my carpet floor. About 72 degrees inside. Ran 4k60 for 10 min and it was fine.
2020-5-26
Use props
nuggetz
lvl.2
United States

Richard371 Posted at 5-26 08:52
Just tested on my carpet floor. About 72 degrees inside. Ran 4k60 for 10 min and it was fine.

Thats very encouraging. I really appreciate you taking the time to perform that test. Perhaps the heatsink on mine has a crappy application of thermal paste or something. I know that idling away like this at 60FPS is really pushing the cooling to its limits especially over carpet.   i just tried another test with the craft upside down so that the air wouldn't just accumulate under the mavic and it still overheated after a few minutes. If my replacement can do what yours just did then I'd be very happy. Not having to worry about it wanting to autoland itself really helps to prevent all the mini heart attacks I have each time I fly. I hope they process this exchange pretty quick.   
2020-5-26
Use props
Richard371
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

nuggetz Posted at 5-26 08:59
Thats very encouraging. I really appreciate you taking the time to perform that test. Perhaps the heatsink on mine has a crappy application of thermal paste or something. I know that idling away like this at 60FPS is really pushing the cooling to its limits especially over carpet.   i just tried another test with the craft upside down so that the air wouldn't just accumulate under the mavic and it still overheated after a few minutes. If my replacement can do what yours just did then I'd be very happy. Not having to worry about it wanting to autoland itself really helps to prevent all the mini heart attacks I have each time I fly. I hope they process this exchange pretty quick.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.
2020-5-26
Use props
Richard371
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Hope you get it sorted out soon.
2020-5-26
Use props
djiuser_VRAB3CnsU8b7
lvl.1

United States

I'm also seeing this issue.  Flying the first couple of days were fine.  Then every flight ends with it overheating.  Some as short as 5 minutes.  The idea of a poor connection to the heat sync makes sense.  I'll try to reach support this evening
2020-5-26
Use props
nuggetz
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_VRAB3CnsU8b7 Posted at 5-26 11:25
I'm also seeing this issue.  Flying the first couple of days were fine.  Then every flight ends with it overheating.  Some as short as 5 minutes.  The idea of a poor connection to the heat sync makes sense.  I'll try to reach support this evening

How much of that flight were you shooting at 4K60? I packed up my MA2 today and dropped it off at UPS. Now the waiting game begins. They will most likely tell you to send it in for repairs. I was considering that option and but opted for a replacement as it seemed quicker. But if this turns out to be a widespread issue then perhaps having someone at their service center diagnose and fix the cooling issue would be the best bet. I'm really hoping these aren't plagued with this issue - or at least the one they replace mine with isn't.

I'd be interested in more folks trying to see if they can theirs to overheat by recording while not in flight. Richard tried earlier and his unit didn't overheat after sitting on his carpet for 10 minutes. Mine would have been toast by then. When the processor message happens it stops recording which makes sense. I have an email out to DJI asking if a working unit with a proper cooling setup could sustain being left on and not flown. According to the specifications on their website, the operating range is 104F. Thats about the same temperature reading I got when I hit the bottom with my temperature gun. I wouldn't be suprised if they dont change firmware to allow hotter temperatures once these start landing on peoples roofs all over the world cuz they're too hot to return home.
2020-5-26
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just measured 108F on the bottom after leaving it recording while sitting on the living room carpet. No error messages though.

Ambient was 87F inside......   oops I meant 78F ambient inside ;-) Dyslexic am I.

Took it on a flight across the river and did a little few loops around. It was 100F at landing and was 82F ambient outside.

2020-5-26
Use props
nuggetz
lvl.2
United States

More good news then. Thanks Gary for participating. If my replacement hits 108 and doesn't complain it would really make my day. If this turns out to be a real issue with lots of units it wouldn't surprise me to see a firmware update come out that quietly increases the max temp. Were you shooting at 4K60 GaryDoug?
2020-5-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Sorry for this, Nuggetz, have you got a case number from DJI Support? If yes, please provide me with your case number, I'll keep an eye on it, hope this case can be resolved shortly.
2020-5-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_VRAB3CnsU8b7 Posted at 5-26 11:25

Sorry to hear this, it is recommended to send the drone in for a diagnosis, have you contacted our support for further assistance? Here is a link below for you to start a case.
https://repair.dji.com/repair/index?site=brandsite&from=nav
2020-5-27
Use props
djiuser_PfXlwc8AhKHn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11572 ft
United States

Count me in as well, has overheated on the 2 most recent flights back to back. Has overheated a total of 4 times since purchase last week. Not even using 4K60 like the poster above, just photos, pano, and 4K30.
2020-5-27
Use props
B737ng
lvl.3
Flight distance : 297106 ft
United States

Guys what SD cards are you using? Air 2 needs a high speed card and If not this will cause overheat warning, as processor is constantly writing cache to your card if you are not recording or taking photos. If the card isn't capable of high write speeds this puts a strain on the processor hence the warning.

A few people had the same issue and a new or better SD card resolved it. ( Or just try without the SD card using the internal memory)
2020-5-27
Use props
djiuser_PfXlwc8AhKHn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11572 ft
United States

B737ng Posted at 5-27 15:39
Guys what SD cards are you using? Air 2 needs a high speed card and If not this will cause overheat warning, as processor is constantly writing cache to your card if you are not recording or taking photos. If the card isn't capable of high write speeds this puts a strain on the processor hence the warning.

A few people had the same issue and a new or better SD card resolved it. ( Or just try without the SD card using the internal memory)

SanDisk Extreme 64GB. Interesting that you mention this, I will absolutely try tomorrow with no SD and see if it makes a difference.
2020-5-27
Use props
nuggetz
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_PfXlwc8AhKHn Posted at 5-27 19:05
SanDisk Extreme 64GB. Interesting that you mention this, I will absolutely try tomorrow with no SD and see if it makes a difference.

I'm running a SanDisk Extreme plus card 64GB. V30 Class 3 A2. You can try internal storage but my first ever flight encountring the chip overheating was without a memory card inserted as I was testing internal storage specifically. See the log:

A00m 00s0.0 ft0 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to P-GPS[/url]
B00m 00s0.0 ft0 ftWarning[url=]No SD card. Insert card (Code: 10022)[/url]
C00m 00s0.0 ft0 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to Motors_Started[/url]
D00m 00s0.0 ft0 ftTip[url=]Setting new Return-To-Home altitude to 20m (66 ft). Data Recorder File Index is 14. Setting new Maximum Flight Altitude to 60m (197 ft)[/url]
E00m 01s0.0 ft0 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to Assisted_Takeoff[/url]
F00m 06s0.0 ft1 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to P-GPS[/url]
00m 31s36.7 ft62 ft

[url=]90% Battery[/url]
03m 25s169.0 ft907 ft

[url=]81% Battery at maximum distance[/url]
03m 39s169.0 ft905 ft

[url=]80% Battery[/url]
G05m 12s47.2 ft24 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to ActiveTrack[/url]
H05m 45s47.6 ft27 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to P-GPS[/url]
06m 46s67.6 ft100 ft

[url=]70% Battery[/url]
I06m 59s68.2 ft102 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to Go_Home[/url]
J07m 15s68.2 ft67 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to AutoLanding[/url]
K07m 16s67.3 ft67 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to P-GPS[/url]
L07m 34s81.0 ft194 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to Go_Home[/url]
M07m 52s81.4 ft66 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to AutoLanding[/url]
N07m 53s80.4 ft66 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to P-GPS[/url]
O08m 15s80.7 ft65 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to PANO[/url]
P08m 36s79.7 ft64 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to P-GPS[/url]
Q08m 57s80.1 ft62 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to PANO[/url]
09m 49s80.4 ft63 ft

[url=]60% Battery[/url]
R09m 53s80.4 ft63 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to P-GPS[/url]
S11m 37s78.4 ft145 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to Go_Home[/url]
T11m 38s78.7 ft143 ftWarning[url=]Aircraft processor overheated. Automatically returning to home (Code: 30185) No SD card. Insert card (Code: 10022)[/url]
U11m 47s79.1 ft79 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to AutoLanding[/url]
V11m 48s79.1 ft76 ftWarning[url=]No SD card. Insert card (Code: 10022)[/url]
W11m 56s54.8 ft72 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to P-GPS[/url]
X11m 57s54.5 ft72 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to AutoLanding[/url]
Y11m 58s52.5 ft64 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to P-GPS[/url]
Z11m 58s52.2 ft63 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to AutoLanding[/url]
a12m 00s47.2 ft37 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to Go_Home[/url]
b12m 01s46.6 ft35 ftWarning[url=]Aircraft processor overheated. Automatically returning to home (Code: 30185) No SD card. Insert card (Code: 10022)[/url]
c12m 13s49.5 ft66 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to AutoLanding[/url]
d12m 14s48.9 ft67 ftWarning[url=]No SD card. Insert card (Code: 10022)[/url]

2020-5-27
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

nuggetz Posted at 5-26 17:09
More good news then. Thanks Gary for participating. If my replacement hits 108 and doesn't complain it would really make my day. If this turns out to be a real issue with lots of units it wouldn't surprise me to see a firmware update come out that quietly increases the max temp. Were you shooting at 4K60 GaryDoug?

Yes, 4k60fps

Also, Samsung 64 EVO Plus 3 aka MB-MC64GA/EU                        
2020-5-27
Use props
SectorDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Tried mine ..no overheating, belly heatsink stays at 104F with fan working at the back exhaust ....   BTW, is your fan working ?
2020-5-28
Use props
MisterFrag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

nuggetz was not using a SD card and recording to the MA2’s internal storage.

I would think overheating is less likely when flying, when a constant airflow will help with cooling.  The heat sink on the bottom of the drone gets quite warm when powered up and just sitting on a desk, and that’s with the fan running.
2020-5-28
Use props
nuggetz
lvl.2
United States

SectorDrone Posted at 5-28 20:13
Tried mine ..no overheating, belly heatsink stays at 104F with fan working at the back exhaust ....   BTW, is your fan working ?

Yep, fan always worked and spool up to max speed too but still overheats. If my replacement has the same issue I'm going to have to open her up and do some surgery. DJI should really be next day'ing replacement units to customers that had problems within the first 15 days, especially those that have DJI care. I was on my 2nd or 3rd day. They could have even charged me for the cost of a new one in case I didn't send the old one back. I hate waiting :-)
2020-5-29
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I'd like to say I am having the exact same issue, Nuggetz.  When recording, even sitting on the floor, i overheat.  Any frame rate, any resolution within seconds of hitting record.  If I'm not recording the drone sits for a long time and I have not gotten the overheat message when it wasnt recording.  I tried recording to internal storage but same issue.  Can I ask what process you took to get this sorted?  I, like you, want to just get a replacement and be done with this - hoping to avoid the 1,000 hours of "troubleshooting" typical support puts you through.  The drone is clearly not working.  Also, like you this is brand new.  Never flown.  Would love to hear the steps you took to get to a place where you are waiting for a replacement (and do you have to send yours in first or do they send a new one right away while you work to send yours back?)
2020-5-31
Use props
nuggetz
lvl.2
United States

Natemare13 Posted at 5-31 03:38
I'd like to say I am having the exact same issue, Nuggetz.  When recording, even sitting on the floor, i overheat.  Any frame rate, any resolution within seconds of hitting record.  If I'm not recording the drone sits for a long time and I have not gotten the overheat message when it wasnt recording.  I tried recording to internal storage but same issue.  Can I ask what process you took to get this sorted?  I, like you, want to just get a replacement and be done with this - hoping to avoid the 1,000 hours of "troubleshooting" typical support puts you through.  The drone is clearly not working.  Also, like you this is brand new.  Never flown.  Would love to hear the steps you took to get to a place where you are waiting for a replacement (and do you have to send yours in first or do they send a new one right away while you work to send yours back?)

I just contacted DJI support via online chat during business hours. They were going down the repair route and barely troubleshot the issue once I confirmed that the fans spin yet the craft still overheats. I googled their replacement policy and it’s 15 days from purchase so I asked if I could do that. Still had to send mine in first but they paid for shipping (slow ground). They got my mavic yesterday and I got an email saying they will send my replacement in 4-5 days. Hope it doesn’t take them that long as I was hoping I get it this week. They did ask that I write the word replacement on the box which tells me that would be a cue for them to maybe skip some of the repair type processes and send mi replacement out quicker. Let’s see.
2020-6-2
Use props
HoosierFlyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131516 ft
United States

Any rumors stating the SD card is causing overheating, well that is completely false.
It's plain and simple that DJI's thermal cooling wasn't applied correctly in some instances and this can be fixed easily with some good thermal paste and a couple tools for disassembly of the drone. If you dont't want to be waiting weeks for a resolution through DJI (which everyone seems to be complaining about), I highly suggest you try this fix.
Please see Natemare13's post here: Overheat Fix
2020-6-2
Use props
shutomo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427 ft
Indonesia

HI, I live in Jakarta, Indonesia, averagely temp is 30C. I own Mavic Air 2 just less then a month, flew for a week and  I happen to experience the same error, twice:  1st error happened eventually after I took hyperlapse, HDR, and Panoramic combined, hovering above about 40 meter on the sky .  thats about 15 mints of hovering , video and photos with high processing tasks. error popped out Aircraft Chip Processor Overheat (attached ) . Sent the unit to local DJI distributor, and a week later they send replacement.
Yesterday I was happy to fly back, took the same photos, panoramic, HDR, Hyperlapse, sequently , plus POI circling, but not until POI circling completed the screen popped out : Aircraft Processor Overheat. - Aircraft Overheated, Automatically Returning to Home. It was a failsafe, RTH with no cancel options.  When it landed, I didnt hear the fan sound. worry. then the DJI Fly apps screen wanted to update battery Firmware, so I completed it thru the RC. Replace the battery and tried a short fly test hover for 3 meter in 3 meter distance away. the same error appeared, Aircraft Processor Overheat. I let it cool for 30 mins, fan sound was there. I become emotional  and concluded a DJI design flaw.  Contacted the local DJI Shop, I wonder what DJI will say, this is my second time with the same error.   
2020-6-14
Use props
nuggetz
lvl.2
United States

shutomo Posted at 6-14 05:01
HI, I live in Jakarta, Indonesia, averagely temp is 30C. I own Mavic Air 2 just less then a month, flew for a week and  I happen to experience the same error, twice:  1st error happened eventually after I took hyperlapse, HDR, and Panoramic combined, hovering above about 40 meter on the sky .  thats about 15 mints of hovering , video and photos with high processing tasks. error popped out Aircraft Chip Processor Overheat (attached ) . Sent the unit to local DJI distributor, and a week later they send replacement.
Yesterday I was happy to fly back, took the same photos, panoramic, HDR, Hyperlapse, sequently , plus POI circling, but not until POI circling completed the screen popped out : Aircraft Processor Overheat. - Aircraft Overheated, Automatically Returning to Home. It was a failsafe, RTH with no cancel options.  When it landed, I didnt hear the fan sound. worry. then the DJI Fly apps screen wanted to update battery Firmware, so I completed it thru the RC. Replace the battery and tried a short fly test hover for 3 meter in 3 meter distance away. the same error appeared, Aircraft Processor Overheat. I let it cool for 30 mins, fan sound was there. I become emotional  and concluded a DJI design flaw.  Contacted the local DJI Shop, I wonder what DJI will say, this is my second time with the same error.

Sorry to hear about your overheating. Unless DJI officially addresses this issue then the only option is to ask for refund or dispute the charge if purchased thru DJI. If using a reseller then it might be better since you can probably return easier. Other solution is to fix the problem like this other member did. Here's a link to that post: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid2187409

I just received my replacement MA2 which overheated. I just tested the replacement and I was able to record 5 minutes of 4K60FPS on my desktop. Fan came on about 1 minute into recording but I'm not 100% sure if it was running at full speed. I think the fan has two speeds. High and low but my replacement unit didn't overheat nor did it kick into high speed fan as far as I could tell by listening. I will test again but this unit is behaving much better.
2020-6-14
Use props
HoosierFlyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131516 ft
United States

There's already a post about overheating issues and a legitimate fix to cure the issue. I would suggest going this route if you don't want to mess with DJI support, and in the end your cpu thermals will be better than what DJI provides with their cooling solution.
2020-6-14
Use props
craighuddy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76545 ft
  • >>>
Canada

nuggetz Posted at 5-29 05:58
Yep, fan always worked and spool up to max speed too but still overheats. If my replacement has the same issue I'm going to have to open her up and do some surgery. DJI should really be next day'ing replacement units to customers that had problems within the first 15 days, especially those that have DJI care. I was on my 2nd or 3rd day. They could have even charged me for the cost of a new one in case I didn't send the old one back. I hate waiting :-)

Agreed, mine was DOA, had to send it back, that takes 2 weeks, they will look at it for a week, then send a replacement back, which will take another 2 weeks. Terrible service for a product that is defective out of the box.
2020-6-15
Use props
djiuser_H312h3S3xo5h
New

United States

Our Mavic Air 2 is doing the same thing. It is overheating after about 10 minutes in the air and it aborts the flight and does an emergency return to land.
2020-7-1
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2113606 ft
Romania

nuggetz Posted at 6-14 05:08
Sorry to hear about your overheating. Unless DJI officially addresses this issue then the only option is to ask for refund or dispute the charge if purchased thru DJI. If using a reseller then it might be better since you can probably return easier. Other solution is to fix the problem like this other member did. Here's a link to that post: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=217010&page=1&extra=#pid2187409

I just received my replacement MA2 which overheated. I just tested the replacement and I was able to record 5 minutes of 4K60FPS on my desktop. Fan came on about 1 minute into recording but I'm not 100% sure if it was running at full speed. I think the fan has two speeds. High and low but my replacement unit didn't overheat nor did it kick into high speed fan as far as I could tell by listening. I will test again but this unit is behaving much better.

Do you do your tests on the desktop with the engines started at idle? Or with engines stopped? Thanx!
2020-7-1
Use props
djiuser_E3dC328dNUWL
New
Flight distance : 444213 ft
United States

nuggetz Posted at 5-26 07:44
Tried a different battery and still the same issue. Just wanted to rule out the battery. Seems like  60FPS at 4K def overheats my mavic in less than a minute of filming. I'm doing this test in an air conditioned room. Used a temp gauge to read the temps on the underside of the Air 2 near the center and between the sensor and the gimbal and I'm getting over 104F. Please can someone else test this to see how long you can keep your MA2 running while shooting 60FPS vid at 4K indoors? Please.

I had the same problem the first day i tried flying my Air 2. It happened again on my third flight.  I just returned it today after only having it for 10 days and flying it twice. Not looking to get another one.
2020-7-26
Use props
turmfunker
lvl.1
Germany

Perhaps helpful to know, that it must not overheat, even under unrealistic conditions, when there is no cooling by the propellers.

Tested on a flat smooth surface, in a room, no air-circulation.
Ambient temperature 27,3°C = 81,1°F
Recording with 4K60fps, Sandisk Extreme

Temperature after 15min. of recording, started with a full battery:
Air-stream: 52,3°C = 126,1°F
Heat-sink, hottest point: 56,7°C = 134,0°F

These values are much higher than what some have measured here.
Which can mean, that more of the heat of the parts which need cooling, is delivered to the heat-sink, which is good.

In case of a test-failure, I would have returned it. I need to can trust to something, that can cause bad damage, if falling from the sky !
2020-8-23
Use props
djiuser_W4THXgym9DVi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36322 ft
United States

My Mavic Air 2 gives me a processor overheat message every time I turn it on. The internal cooling fan doesn’t turn on for 15 to 2@ minutes and sometimes not at all. I shut it off and turn it back on and doesn’t help. It sucks when it takes several minutes before it allows takeoff because normally what I wanted to photograph is gone. Anybody have any advice??
2021-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules