Mavic Mini dropped down all of a sudden
4874 38 2020-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thalantis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13802 ft
Netherlands

When i was flying my Mavic Mini today it dropped from 16 meter fast and is now in the water in front of my house at the bottem (4 meters deep or so).
Have reviewed the flight log and it updated the Homepoint and then it went down.
Can you check what went wrong
2020-5-26
Use props
Thalantis
lvl.1
Netherlands

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/BLP38EXO6WIS73HFST67/
2020-5-26
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Were you playing with the home point location setting prior to this?
I ask because I have just done my first experimentation flight in a place where I felt comfortable trying the change the home point thing. Everything went mostly to plan except for one RTH, out of maybe 10, where I have no idea how the home point was set to where it appeared to be. I suppose I touched the map in error somehow but.............
2020-5-26
Use props
Thalantis
lvl.1
Netherlands

No I was just flying with it
2020-5-26
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok and thanks
2020-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Have reviewed the flight log and it updated the Homepoint and then it went down.
It wasn't until 52 seconds after launching that your drone got GPS and recorded a home point
This was completely unrelated to the loss of the drone.

From about 0:59.1 your Mini started an uncommanded descent.
This is a common problem for the Mavic Mini.

Open a case with DJI.
2020-5-26
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-26 14:58

It wasn't until 52 seconds after launching that your drone got GPS and recorded a home point

What are you talking about, don't you know Un-commanded descents were fixed in 1.05?

@OP: I'd suggest waiting for GPS before starting your next flight, good luck on the warranty.
2020-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-26 15:13
What are you talking about, don't you know Un-commanded descents were fixed in 1.05?

@OP: I'd suggest waitingfor GPS before starting your next flight, good luck on the warranty.
I'm talking about a Mini that descends while hovering with no joystick input.
That's an uncommanded descent.
FYI the firmware version in this case was 1.0.144

Although he launched before getting GPS, that was completely unrelated to the uncommanded descent.

2020-5-26
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is no uncommanded descent. The issue is you took off and flew before gps locked in, so once the gps sats are set Home point was created over where the buildings are. You probably lost connection near it and it landed where the Home point was recorded on RTH. Make sure you have satellites locked before you take off. Also make sure home point is created where you take off.
2020-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

deathsquad Posted at 5-26 16:03
There is no uncommanded descent. The issue is you took off and flew before gps locked in, so once the gps sats are set Home point was created over where the buildings are. You probably lost connection near it and it landed where the Home point was recorded on RTH. Make sure you have satellites locked before you take off. Also make sure home point is created where you take off.

Sorry sport but everything you've typed is incorrect.
Everything.
He didn't lose connection at all.
It landed nowhere near the home point and the drone descended without any corresponding joystick input.
What happened is clearly laid out in my post above.
Reading flight data will always explain flight incidents much better than guessing.

2020-5-26
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

He was 4ft from the water when it descended into the water. Flying that close to water is dangerous. The sensors cannot determine the ground to maintain position.
2020-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

deathsquad Posted at 5-26 16:32
He was 4ft from the water when it descended into the water. Flying that close to water is dangerous. The sensors cannot determine the ground to maintain position.

Very good ... now all you have to do is explain why the Mini hovering at 55 feet, slowly descended all the way down to the water without any joystick input.
2020-5-26
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It was landing. Case closed.
2020-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

deathsquad Posted at 5-26 17:23

If you are going to come back and suggest that I'm wrong, you have to give some details

What do you mean it was landing?
What caused it to land?
What do you see in the data that indicates it was landing?

You have no idea what you are talking about.
Case Closed.
2020-5-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

OMG. four charging stations in a two block area. That can't be good for anything electrical nearby ;-)

How does it automatically set the home point right at his boat? Did he do that manually later or something else?

2020-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 5-26 19:30
OMG. four charging stations in a two block area. That can't be good for anything electrical nearby ;-)

How does it automatically set the home point right at his boat? Did he do that manually later or something else?
DJI drones record a home point as soon as the GPS is getting good location data from satellites.
He was impatient and launched without GPS, so no homepoint could be recorded (before launch).
When GPS location data was received 52 seconds after launching, the drone recorded its location as the home point.
2020-5-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-26 19:46
DJI drones record a home point as soon as the GPS is getting good location data from satellites.
He was impatient and launched without GPS, so no homepoint could be recorded (before launch).

Ok. Help me out here. He launches from his home on the waterfront then races east across the highway (or does he? is that bogus info?) then comes home and it just happens to come alive with GPS then and sets the home point? Did the drone ever even go east even though it shows the speed indicating it went somewhere fast?

Nevermind. I think I realize that without positioning data, most of the log is useless. I see one instance where the drone apparently went several hundred feet in less than one tenth of a second on the chart but stays at zero feet from "home". Now that is one very fast vehicle!

2020-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 5-26 19:52
Ok. Help me out here. He launches from his home on the waterfront then races east across the highway (or does he? is that bogus info?) then comes home and it just happens to come alive with GPS then and sets the home point? Did the drone ever even go east even though it shows the speed indicating it went somewhere fast?

Nevermind. I think I realize that without positioning data, most of the log is useless. I see one instance where the drone apparently went several hundred feet in less than one tenth of a second on the chart but stays at zero feet from "home". Now that is one very fast vehicle!

I see one instance where the drone apparently went several hundred feet in less than one tenth of a second on the chart but stays at zero feet from "home". Now that is one very fast vehicle!

Yes .. that's a definite clue.
It's common to have a little false location data before the flight controller is satisfied the data is now good and accepts it.
He didn't fly continuously after launching .. he did a bit of hovering too.
We can't tell how far he flew after launching but it will be much nearer the house than that line would suggest.
2020-5-26
Use props
Thalantis
lvl.1
Netherlands

That boat is not mine, my house is several ones to the right.
Launched from my house on the waterfront indeed and flew in the direction of the next waterway next to the house with the boat and the solar panels.
Never went to the highway, that path is incorrect
Tnx for the input, have opened a case with DJI.

2020-5-26
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thalantis Posted at 5-26 21:37
That boat is not mine, my house is several ones to the right.
Launched from my house on the waterfront indeed and flew in the direction of the next waterway next to the house with the boat and the solar panels.
Never went to the highway, that path is incorrect

Hi Thalantis,

Would you mind sharing your DAT file as well, its the FLY015.DAT in the folder MCDatFlightRecords (same level as the map Flightrecord) on your mobile device.

Its indeed a Uncontrolled Descent, DAT file mayby will tell more wich error is the cause of this UD.

BTW  echt k*u*t zeg zo je MM kwijt te raken.

cheers
JJB
2020-5-26
Use props
Thalantis
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hello JJB

That folder is empty

indeed it is
2020-5-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thalantis Posted at 5-27 00:15
Hello JJB

That folder is empty

Bad luck,  i always download both files (log.txt and DAT file) after each flying day before syncing with DJI.
Just in case and to analyse my flights.

Hope DJI will help you out!  its not normal for a brand new MM to fall out of the sky with a Uncontrolled Descend!!

good luck.

cheers
JJB
2020-5-27
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

JJB* Posted at 5-27 00:58
Bad luck,  i always download both files (log.txt and DAT file) after each flying day before syncing with DJI.
Just in case and to analyse my flights.

Very sad. Suddently the water landing gear for the Mini does not sound such a bad idea, with so many Mini doing the unwanted landing in the water.
2020-5-27
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-26 15:13

@OP: I'd suggest waiting for GPS before starting your next flight, good luck on the warranty.

Not sure if this post was tongue in cheek but I have had an uncommanded descent using 1.05, I posted about it here https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=215342

2020-5-27
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

itchyeyeballs Posted at 5-27 06:02
Not sure if this post was tongue in cheek but I have had an uncommanded descent using 1.05, I posted about it here https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=215342

I sent the maker of CsvView your thread so he could verify if it was a UD but he never got back to me, looking back at the thread I still don't know if it was 100% a UD. My comment here was meant as a joke as some forum users SWEAR that UD's won't happen on 1.05, this user was actually on the original firmware the drone launched with so unfortunately he lacked the warnings that could of saved his drone if only he had updated before hand.
2020-5-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-27 07:47
I sent the maker of CsvView your thread so he could verify if it was a UD but he never got back to me, looking back at the thread I still don't know if it was 100% a UD. My comment here was meant as a joke as some forum users SWEAR that UD's won't happen on 1.05, this user was actually on the original firmware the drone launched with so unfortunately he lacked the warnings that could of saved his drone if only he had updated before hand.

100% an UD.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-5-27
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 5-27 22:25
100% an UD.

cheers

Thank you for investigating, good to have it confirmed won't be hovering over water going forward (although I'm hoping my prop switch will have solved the problem and I've not seen it since).

Wish I knew how to interpret that graph!
2020-5-28
Use props
Thalantis
lvl.1
Netherlands

Contacted DJI via online support and had to fill in an email with questions, and they are gonna look at the case.
2020-5-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

itchyeyeballs Posted at 5-28 00:44
Thank you for investigating, good to have it confirmed  won't be hovering over water going forward (although I'm hoping my prop switch will have solved the problem and I've not seen it since).

Wish I knew how to interpret that graph!

top of the 4 charts display in blue the barometric height, where it is red the up/down move is not commanded by the RC.

In the third chart the blue line represents the up/down RC input.

cheers
JJB
2020-5-28
Use props
Thalantis
lvl.1
Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 5-28 11:08
top of the 4 charts display in blue the barometric height, where it is red the up/down move is not commanded by the RC.

In the third chart the blue line represents the up/down RC input.

FYI im getting an replacement unit from DJI as they have reviewed the data and its a warranty case
2020-6-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thalantis Posted at 6-8 13:14
FYI im getting an replacement unit from DJI as they have reviewed the data and its a warranty case

Hi,

Very good news, DJI has taken their responsibility to replace their faulty drone.

With the latest firmware i think they 'repaired' this issue.
If you need any help to get more knowledge, let me know.

Happy many landings,
cheers
JJB
2020-6-8
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

I updated my firmware before the first flight to the latest, does it still happen with the .05 version?  and are the UD always over water?
2020-6-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Daniella3d Posted at 6-10 03:54
I updated my firmware before the first flight to the latest, does it still happen with the .05 version?  and are the UD always over water?

Latest version repaired this issue, i have not seen any UD on this forum after the update.

My own MM testing : all tests OKE.

Has nothing to do with flying over water, MM does not know ifit flys above land or water.

cheers
JJB
2020-6-10
Use props
djiuser_4mH3jj10jMHZ
New

India

my dji mavic mini 2 drone is suddenly taking off while flying
and when i cheeked my flight log its show week signal error 80004

and sudden  fall down from Hight of 10 m what the region behind fall down
2022-5-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have a look at https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ up load the flight log to there then post the URL for the log on here and maybe someone can tell you.
2022-5-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

djiuser_4mH3jj10jMHZ Posted at 5-2 06:25

Best to open an entirely new thread for your problem.   
Tagging your problem on to existing thread with similar problem can lead to confusion.
2022-5-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-2 12:27
Best to open an entirely new thread for your problem.   
Tagging your problem on to existing thread with similar problem can lead to confusion.

can a "new " member start their own threads? I seem to remember reading they can not but could be wrong.
2022-5-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

djiuser_4mH3jj10jMHZ Posted at 5-2 06:25

Hello, there. We are greatly sorry to hear about the crash. Did the drone hurt by impact damage? We suggest you contact the support to open a case and send the drone in, we'll submit a data analysis to find out the cause if the drone is under warranty. If it's a warranty case, we will get your drone repaired/replaced at no charge according to our After-sales Policy. http://www.dji.com/support
2022-5-3
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

JJB* Posted at 2020-6-10 04:13
Latest version repaired this issue, i have not seen any UD on this forum after the update.

My own MM testing : all tests OKE.

What is the latest stable update for the Mini? I have 01.00.0500. and ap version1.2.4
2022-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules